Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music won't stream on my PS3!

Discussion in 'PS3 Forum' started by 7hil, Jun 21, 2007.

1. 7hil

7hil Member

Ratings:
    +111
    Pictures and Video are fine just not the music from my PC.

I have read on another forum about this being a problem with the PS3 that if you have a large music collection (eg 25GB) it will cliam that the "Connection to the media server could not be established. Check the settings for the media server and network devices".

Any ideas? My XBOX streams music fine so I dont think it's my wireless router. :confused:
  2. ianrauk

ianrauk Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I have over 45gig of music streaming fine.
  3. danmc_82

danmc_82 Active Member

Ratings:
    +533
    I cant see the amount of music you hold being any problem, its not as if you'll be streaming 25GB of music in one go. What exactly happens when you try to stream it? It does take about 5-10 seconds for the music to start playing on mine from when I press play.
  4. 7hil

7hil Member

Ratings:
    +111
    I click on Music and it just cant find the folders, then comes up with this "Connection to the media server could not be established. Check the settings for the media server and network devices". Weird how the pictures and videos work but not the music.
  5. Darth_terra

Darth_terra Active Member

Ratings:
    +559
    Are you sure you have shared the Music folder within the application you are using to stream the Music to your PS3 also are they in a format the PS3 can use.
  6. 7hil

7hil Member

Ratings:
    +111
    They are all in Mp3 and are all listed in Windows Media Player 11. Also my Xbox can access them fine. It's just the PS3 that can't find them. I'm using Vista by the way if that makes any difference.
  7. 7hil

7hil Member

Ratings:
    +111
  8. DazBridges

DazBridges Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I had the same problem with 8000 mp3's in WMP I then switched to TVersity and have had no problems since.
  9. mikthe20

mikthe20 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I had the same problems with my large MP3 collection - TVseristy sorted it for me. Only have a coule of faults with TVersity:

- no album art unlike WMP11
    - can't use WM11 playlists

I actually think the problem is not with the PS3 but with WMP11 - I have another media device (HomePod) which can stream MP3s from a PC - like the PS3 with WPMP11, it can see the server and occasionally see the folders but not lay files. Once I installed TVersity not only did the PS3 also see and play the media, but so did the HomePod. I suspect WMP11 is not fully DNLA/UPnP compliant (Microsoft in non-industry standard shocker!). HTH.
  10. 7hil

7hil Member

Ratings:
    +111
    I tried TVersity and the PS3 couldn't pick up my PC at all. Are you guys running vista?
  11. 7hil

7hil Member

Ratings:
    +111
    I just tried out a folder of 5GB in size. It found and played those tracks fine. I then tried to divide up all my music like that. Didn't work. It's definitely something about the music folder size that the PS3 just doesnt like.
  12. PaulyBBB

PaulyBBB Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I get the impression that people are right when they say folder size is an issue.

Not sure where the cut-off point is, but my 20GB playlist for my mp3 player (in Windows media player) loads up ok on the ps3. My full mp3 collection of 350+GB fails to load every time. It's a shame, but hopefully this is something can be fixed by an update? :lease:

P
  13. Holly80

Holly80 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

Having a similar problem I have a networked harddrive, WMP 11 is set to monitor the folder but the PS3 can not pick up any files on the drive even though they are listed in WMP. However the PS3 does pick up the files stored on the computer no problem. Does any one have any ideas on what is going on or is it the same problem as others are reporting due to the size of the folder?

Cheers