Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Server buying advice

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by RobTheDestroyer, Feb 18, 2012.

1. RobTheDestroyer

RobTheDestroyer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to purchase a Music server to consolidate my existing CDs and MP3s which are located on my PC.
    I want an easy way of transferring my album folders containing my MP3s from my PC, onto the Music server and also an easy way to backup the full collection once its all on the Music server.
    I am looking for a Music Server that has clear an easy navigation of the Albums and preferably with Album art. (Like you get on Ipods when browsing albums using the Cover art display option).
    I already have a Bose Sounddock portable and want to use this as the speaker connected to the Music server, rather than buy speakers.
    This is because i want to move the units around alot and also play music outside. The Sounddock is ideal for this as i dont need power (it has a lithium battery).
    The Bose has a 3.5 Line-in port so the Music Server needs to have a 3.5 line out jack to the Bose. Then a long line in/out lead is all i need between the Bose and Server.
    I have looked at a few Music servers but none meet all the criteria...
    As far as i can see, the Olive series have no 3.5 line out jack.
    The Cocktail Jukebox is too fussy when it comes to merging the content transferrred from a PC and the music ripped directly from CDs into the database. Its display is also not great for viewing the content.
    The Brennan likewise - just a textual display and not easy to manage all the album folders from a PC.
    What i ideally want is the Olive display, with a line out jack and and easy navigation system via something like Samba, without the complexity of separate Music database like the cocktail audio and Brennan have.
    Suggestions welcomed...
    Thanks Rob
  2. MarkWelsh

MarkWelsh Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm compiling a list of currently available music servers and streamers, detailed what they all do and cost. I didn't realise for instance, despite seeing 101 adverts for the thing, that the Brennan - literally - 'rips' (ie, both 'unbundles', and 'tears in half') your CD collection into MP3s.

There are many options, but it's hard to argue with the value you get from a plain vanilla netbook: it's upgradeable, portable, compatible with everything, does everything, and you can snag them for less than £200 new.
  3. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +922
    Yep, your intended use isn't supported by the market, esp. building backwards from the Bose. Best bet is a laptop with 3.5mm socket for sound and then use one of the audio catalogue apps like JRriver, Songbird, etc.

Or just get an iPod Touch and use that in the Sounddock, there's quite a few apps now which will stream from a music server via wi-fi.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  4. RobTheDestroyer

RobTheDestroyer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - i was actually starting to think that a laptop would be the best bet for what i want, but had not thought of a Netbook - not a bad idea as they are smaller and more portable.
    May look into this if no one has any better suggestions. The only downside is no remote to browse & select music. That said on the upside they are nice and small and portable, although the plan was to have the Music server in a permanent location and use a remote and a long 3.5 audio lead to connect to wherever the sounddock may be.
    Rob
  5. RobTheDestroyer

RobTheDestroyer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Amcluesent - but trying to get away from Apple and iTunes and i also need a larger hard disk 500GB+ which an Ipod doesnt offer.
    Rob
  6. RobTheDestroyer

RobTheDestroyer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    P.S. - If i go down a netbook route i will look at the apps you suggest - these look useful. Thanks.
    Rob
  7. nunovi

nunovi Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Rob, a Vortexbox based Music Server ticks all your boxes. It works as a NAS so its easy to transfer files, has a 3.5mm jack output for your Bose, has 1 click backup of the hard drive. The only possible drawback is that you'll have to use an iOS/Android device as a Controller or use any browser as there are no controls on the case. You can even build one yourself if you like. I have a LIV Zen Music Server 2Tb, which is a pre-built and configured Vortexbox server, and I'm really happy with it.
  8. Hinchley Grinch

Hinchley Grinch Member

Ratings:
    +104
    I have a MacBook connected to speakers with a 3.5mm lead. My music collection is stored on a 1tb portable drive connected to the MacBook.

I can browse/remotely control my music (including volume) using the Remote app on my iPhone (works with iPod touch too).

Looking forward to getting my Zeppelin Air now :)
  9. RobTheDestroyer

RobTheDestroyer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am now torn between getting a Netbook and JRiver or Songbird s/w (BTW which do people reckon is best s/w ?) and getting a Vortexbox which looks a good product.
    The Pros with a netbook, is that i can connect direct to the Bose with a line in/out and dont need a network, so it can be used anywhere. Cons - no remote, would have to browse using the network and select tracks manually.
    The Vortexbox would require me to have a network connection, in order that i could utilise a device like a phone or ipad as a remote. Otherwise i would not be able to select and play tracks.