1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS Windows 7 Pre-order from £49.99

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by BlkKnight, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Urien Rheged

Urien Rheged Active Member

Ratings:
    +526
    Beta Testers
  2. tvbox

tvbox Active Member

Ratings:
    +582
    So they will test the Beta version for bugs and stuff for the final version, but aren't we supposed to as well?
    I'm not going to install the Beta or RC though, might as well wait for the main version:thumbsup:
  3. mattclarkie

mattclarkie Member

Ratings:
    +937
    Not sure what point you are trying to make there.

Lots of us, myself included have been running Windows 7 for months making sure it works. MS then gave us a version that they say was similar to the retail version to test. Practically everyone has had no problems and so MS are essentially releasing the RC we tested with a few improvements.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  4. Miss Chief

Miss Chief Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,088
    I might go for this. Will be good to go legit for the first time in a good while!

I haven't seen it mentioned but Quidco offer 15% on Software direct from MS.
  5. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,911
    this is upgrade you no .. also if you want xp compatible mode you need to go Pro ..
  6. Shambler

Shambler Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The European versions don't have an upgrade option, you get the full version for 50 quid not an upgrade. Also, you'll be able to run programs made for XP just fine, XP compatibility mode is only for running Windows XP using virtualization (it's not really useful).
  7. tvbox

tvbox Active Member

Ratings:
    +582
    It is when you have older software. Will that make it better than Vista? Vista struggled to install older stuff properly.:suicide:
    My webcam i bought from around 2004 worked perfectly on my old PC but now it will not install. I couldn't find any drivers on the internet either:boring:
  8. Stiggy

Stiggy Active Member

Ratings:
    +646
    Most programs designed for XP work fine on Vista or Windows 7 without having to do anything. The example you give of a webcam is only a problem as the manufacturer didn't release an updated driver - this is often a problem with unbranded products.

All recent versions of Windows have a Compatibility feature to help run badly behaved software. Windows 7 also has the new "Windows XP Mode" which uses virtualization technology. This won't be in the £50 Home Premium E version discussed in this thread, as it's only in Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. carol_s

carol_s Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Not quite correct Shambler. I have an accounts package which will run in XP (32-bit but not 64-bit), it will not run in either 32 or 64-bit flavours of Vista or in the 64-bit version of Win7 - but it does run quite happily in the XP Virtual machine on Win7 x64.

Same with an old scanner I have (Epson Perfection 1660 Photo), ran in XP x32 but not in XP x64, Vista x64 or Win7 x64 - but is happily installed in the XP Virtual machine of Win7 x64.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. tvbox

tvbox Active Member

Ratings:
    +582
    What's the difference between X64 and X32?:confused:
    Sorry for all these questions:rolleyes:
  11. Shambler

Shambler Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah hmm, I thought it would just be driver issues. It's a lot of extra money to shell out for that feature though (double the price on the preorder), it would be worth looking into other virtualization software to see if you can just use your old XP OS in W7.

I don't know about much past VMWare, but there is a large list here (a lot to trawl through though):
    Comparison of platform virtual machines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  12. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,911
    European version do you have link not showing upgrade? typical microsoft:(

The compatibility mode i understand that allot not really bothered myself it is just helpful for people knowing it is only under pro and up:smashin:, if looked hard enough you can find modded drivers or Do it your self .. my old Epson 1200 scanner works fin under vista64 and 32 bit ..
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  13. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,911
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Singh400

Singh400 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,375
    Microsoft can't offer the upgrade here because of the EU. Microsoft is being forced to release a 7 "E" OS here, and upgrading from XP/Vista to an 7 "E" OS isn't possible. Thus a full re-install is required. Blame the EU, not Microsoft.

By 7 "E" OS. I mean Windows 7: European edition. Basically without Windows Internet Explorer.
  15. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,911
    good news and thanks Eu:thumbsup: Blaming Microsoft mate due to it takes finding out the Eu disc is the full install disc , looks like rest of world is getting ripped off:thumbsdow

And i here you need satnav to get around there dam site or is that done on purpose?
  16. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,992
    I see Littlewoods are on the "Pre Order Retailers" list-worth remembering they always seem to have £25 off this and £30 off that vouchers floating around for new customers. :smashin:

Also, I just ran the 7 Upgrade Advisor, which flagged an "issue" of only having 3.34GB of free space left on my C Drive as 7 "Needs at least 16GB of free space" :eek:

It also flagged a potential with my Logitech Orb/Sphere webcam, but I'm sure that will be fine.

I'm really considering doing this pre order. :thumbsup:

I fancy the Pro version Over the Home version (not sure why TBH-might just be my "Got to have the best version" OCD!) :D

I just don't fancy going through the whole backup, install, restore process for all my stuff.....:suicide:
  17. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,992
  18. Stiggy

Stiggy Active Member

Ratings:
    +646
    I just checked, and unlike Vista, the Pro edition does contain Media Center. As this is the AVForums site I thought that AV features might be quite important to you!
    You can see what you getting extra in the Pro edition here.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  19. yocky

yocky Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Right I've read all of this thread and googled every combination of search terms and still can't find a straight answer.

Do you need to have an existing copy of Vista or XP to take advantage of this offer in the UK? I know you are going to receive a full retail version of Win 7 and there is no upgrade path from XP/Vista, but the MS UK FAQ about this still claims you need a valid key to order.........or don't we know yet?
  20. carol_s

carol_s Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Does anybody know if you actually get a cashback from Microsoft. In Quidco's terms and conditions there is the following paragraph:-

21. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,992
    That's just Quidco covering themselves, which is fair enough.

I've had over £500 from Quidco without any issues.

You've got nothing to lose and only cash to gain. :smashin:
  22. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Active Member

Ratings:
    +552
    I have a question that has probably been answered already but i cant find it.

First off, this upgrade version. Am i right in assuming its the full version BUT you need to have purchased Vista or XP to be able to use it?
    Do i understand correctly that the only difference between upgrade and full is the way the licence works, and not what's on the disc.
    And as its a clean install i assume the W7 disc will ask for the Vista/XP disc to be inserted during the install, does anyone know if a OEM (im thinking Dell here) will be good enough?

Sorry, thats two i know :rolleyes:
  23. DP10

DP10 Member

Ratings:
    +16
  24. nigeltrevor

nigeltrevor Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Nope, it's the FULL version - not an upgrade. No copy of XP/Vista is needed.

Correct, and when the upgrade does come available (early next year, they reckon) you will only be able to install it from within Vista.

Nope, all Windows 7 versions sold up until the end of the year are FULL versions, and do not require that you have a copy of XP/Vista etc. They WILL require clean installs and NO Vista/XP disc etc.
  25. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Active Member

Ratings:
    +552
    Interesting but very flawed IMHO.
    Most of the public dont know about windows 7 yet but once MS roll out the fanfare everyone will be wanting it (again, IMHO) so i can see a lot of people selling off their copies of Vista so i cant see any selling at almost full price for a OS thats now been superseded.
    Could be wrong though.
  26. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Active Member

Ratings:
    +552
    Ok, im now totally confused. The offer is saying its for an upgrade.
    Am i missing something here?

EDIT: sorry, i can see i was looking at the USA site which is indeed the upgrade but the UK one is the full version (minus IE of course).
  27. yocky

yocky Member

Ratings:
    +23
    There is still confusion as the UK FAQ about the offer states that you need to be running XP or Vista to qualify.

As others seem convinced you don't need to provide a key to order I'll assume they've just copied the FAQ from the US site, but it's not clear.
  28. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Active Member

Ratings:
    +552
    Yeah, i still think you will need to have a CD with Vista/XP on it during the install but who knows.
    Ill be placing my order anyway.
  29. nigeltrevor

nigeltrevor Member

Ratings:
    +2
    It's possible, but they've stated upgrade editions won't be available until early next year, and full editions never require a Vista/XP CD - so unless they've created an edition especially for us (highly unlikely) it'll be a standard full edition - which requires no previous copy of Windows.

They have copied that FAQ from the US site I'm sure
  30. yocky

yocky Member

Ratings:
    +23
    That does make sense. I guess the only other way to do it would be to require a valid XP or Vista key when ordering, but that also sounds unworkable.