Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS Windows 7 Pre-order from £49.99

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by BlkKnight, Jun 26, 2009.

1. BlkKnight

BlkKnight Member

Ratings:
    +31
    You will be able to pre-order Windows 7 between 15th of July & the 9th of August from the M$ site.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/pre-order.aspx

These will be a full install - not an upgrade.

The version available to the EU is the -E package - which does not have Internet explorer bundled with it.

Not sure which retailers at the mo.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. mattclarkie

mattclarkie Active Member

Ratings:
    +937
    Are you assuming it is £49 because it is $49 in the US.

EDIT.
    Engadget confirm a straight $ to £ conversion.
  3. niall@inkything

niall@inkything Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Wouldn't it be better to get the 'upgrade' version, from the States or elsewhere? $49 is less than £49, it comes with IE8 preinstalled (of course you don't have to use it) and you wouldn't have to backup/format/install/restore.

Everybody seems very excited at this great offer, but surely the upgrade at $49 is the better deal?
  4. mattclarkie

mattclarkie Active Member

Ratings:
    +937
    Why does everyone assume that because it is a FULL RETAIL version you can't upgrade from Vista without a full install. Full versions allow the option to UPGRADE or CLEAN INSTALL.

I'd sooner have a full version, you can use it on 2 computers, and you don't have to have the relevant Vista Version already installed. I currently have Vista Business, so I have to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, I can't do Home Premium (not that I'd want to) with an upgrade version.
  5. BlkKnight

BlkKnight Member

Ratings:
    +31
    The link I posted above (when you switch to UK) is for the FULL RETAIL VERSION - NOT AN UPGRADE.

I'm not sure if you can use the -E packages to upgrade your existing Vista Install - due to the EU law relating to IE being stripped out.
  6. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,108
    I am extremely tempted by this, but don't have a Vista licence.

What I am worried about is buying it for £50, and then finding out too late that it only allows you to fresh install W7 when inputting a Vista licence code beforehand.
  7. BlkKnight

BlkKnight Member

Ratings:
    +31
    The UK ENGLISH one is a stand-alone.

The US one is an upgrade.

Make sure you have the correct country selected.

The UK one does not display the retailers (yet) and prices are in UK£
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Synchro

Synchro Active Member

Ratings:
    +164
    Can't switch to UK version on that link you have given. I can't anyway.
  9. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,108
    Neither could I
  10. stewart28

stewart28 Member

Ratings:
    +36
    can someone please confirm if this is £49 for the full version.
  11. Stiggy

Stiggy Active Member

Ratings:
    +661
    Because you can't upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 E

The site says:
    You can pre-order Windows 7 Home Premium E for £49** or Windows 7 Professional E for £99**. The offer is available through participating retailers. Each retailer will tell you how to get your copy when Windows 7 is released.

* The offer begins on 15th July, 2009 and will end on 9th August, 2009.
    ** Estimated Retail Price
    ** Before you install an E edition of Windows 7, please visit windows.microsoft.com/install-windows-E for important information. When you install the E edition of Windows 7, you'll need to do a custom (clean) installation. That means you'll need to back up all of your files and settings, install the operating system, then re-install your files, settings, and programs. Important: The E editions of Windows 7 do not contain an Internet browser. Please get a browser from Microsoft or a third party and have it on a CD/DVD or another device so it's ready to install after the Windows 7 installation is complete.

So, you cannot upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 E versions, due to the removal of Internet Explorer. That's why Microsoft is making the full version available for the price of an upgrade.

There are no links to participating retailers yet.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  12. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,108
    But with earlier upgrade disks from previous Windows releases, what MS has forced you to do is during a clean Dos install you need to input both the new Serial number from the upgrade CD, and also the one from the earlier Windows OS that you are supposed to be upgrading from.

That is my only concern as I don't have Vista and no serial for it, but would love to get W7 HP for £50 as I am loving the RC1.

If worse comes to worse would you be able to use the Serial from XP OEM to allow you to install the W7 or is it just the Vista serial number it will accept?
  13. BlkKnight

BlkKnight Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Windows 7 can't be upgraded in Europe for legal reasons - In simple terms: How can you upgrade XP / VISTA where IE is part of the "paid for" application when upgrading removes it.

UK screen: (even though it says US, the prices are in £)
    www.physicalcompany.co.uk/jason/Image1.jpg
  14. DP10

DP10 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Id be interested to know if this works. You can buy the upgrade disc from Amazon.com and they ship to the UK surely?
  15. Boris Blank

Boris Blank Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Won't work, Amazon.com won't ship the upgrade to addresses outside the US. Try to order it and see what happens.
  16. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,108
    On a separate note, regarding the lack of browser in the Euro version of W7, someone mentioned something I am finding curious on Hotukdeals, that you can use Command Prompt to download and install Firefox without the need of an onboard browser.

Except they did not mention how to actually do it, and googling for advice on using Command Prompt to download has brought up no hits.

Anyone know how you would do this?
  17. Singh400

Singh400 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,416
    Yep, just ftp into mozilla's ftp. Might be easier if you download the browser before hand though.
  18. Stiggy

Stiggy Active Member

Ratings:
    +661
    You're missing the point. Microsoft is going to sell the full version for a reduced price. You won't need a previous key/disk.

Another option (dare I mention it) is that there will be copies of the US RTM code from the 'usual places' which will support an upgrade from Vista, and a legitimate product key from a Windows 7 E version will probably activate it.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  19. Synchro

Synchro Active Member

Ratings:
    +164
    I am looking forward to microsofts method for adding a browser to their operating System without having a browser to do it... It'll have to be very, very simple, or the average punter won't figure it out. Mrs Jones, isn't going to FTP Firefox onto her PC, via command prompt is she (no offense to any Mrs Jones' on here)
  20. Synchro

Synchro Active Member

Ratings:
    +164

BBC - dot.life: A browser-free Windows 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,108
    I will go out on a limb here and say there is no chance in the history in this earth that MS will ever offer any way to get Firefox/Opera/Chrome on there.

All they will offer is one of two things.

1. A bonus CD with Internet Explorer on.

or more likely

2. A popup message on first booting saying to click it to open Windows update and this will download Internet Explorer.
  22. Houghsx

Houghsx Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,711
    Personally I havent used IE for years, I like Firefox and the add ons way to much to go back to IE so it makes no difference to me.
    Also, is the 32bit and 64bit on the same disc?
    I think this is a smashing deal at £50 for the full version, I will order this for sure.
  23. Blitzmage

Blitzmage Member

Ratings:
    +17
    It's pointless taking away the browser anyway as we will all have to download it again since so many programs use IE to launch their websites in their program and such.
  24. Crovon

Crovon Active Member

Ratings:
    +683
    Why cant the EU just keep their bloody noses out! All they do is cause problems not solutions.

I have always used IE and shipping windows 7 to europe without a browser is just ridiculous, no matter how 'cheap' it might be!
  25. Alan CD

Alan CD Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,372
    It has something to do with the bully-boy tactics Microsoft have used to almost destroy all opposition.

There is no problem. :)
  26. Houghsx

Houghsx Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,711
    +1
  27. DougieB

DougieB Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Hi
    Cannot order from $ms either as it requires a US address and Zip code.
    $ms site uk states Premium for £49 and Pro for £99 but no retailers available to order from:suicide:

What are $ms thinking especially as I am a Beta tester and they emailed me the info about the pre-order and now I find I can't order it, bit naff to say the least.

DougieB
  28. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,108
    :thumbsup:
  29. Razor

Razor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9,137
    + 1. If this is the full version I will order 2 or maybe even 3 copies. :)

I also dont care for IE. I have removed the IE 8 prompt in my windows update as I really dont want it. I am happy with Firefox.
  30. siber0

siber0 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    This is confusing. The FAQs on the UK MS website state:-

"How do I know if I am eligible for this offer?

To be eligible for the offer, you need to be running a genuine copy of the Windows XP or Windows Vista operating systems."

I appreciate it's a clean install, not an upgrade but this suggests that setup will check for an OS before allowing an install. Can this be right? If this is supposed to be a reward to all those who helped beta test it, why doesn't it say that those who are only running Win 7 beta/RC1 are also eligible?

Si
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009