MP4 Thumbnails

Severn Echo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My Kodak zx5 takes video in MP4 format. I can get windows 7 live photo gallery to play these files with no problems but it will not display a thumbnail image in the gallery.
I believe there is a way to fix this?
Can anyone please help. Thank you.

Are you using WLE 2012 that is the newest build, the 2011 has been replaced by that.

If your already using the newest version then I can only guess it's a problem with the way the mp4 files are generated by the Kodak ZX5 as MP4 files show thumbs just fine in my version of 2012 Photo Gallery.

Try this as an experiment
* Download MKV2MP4 (ignore the name it works on MP4 too) then drag and drop one of your mp4 files into it, click the green start button and it will repackage the video/audio into a new MP4 container. Hopefully it will do it properly and the Photo Gallery app will then display the thumbnail.

* Alternatively convert using Handbrake, select high profile preset, on video tab set RF value to 18 then click start. This should give you a high quality MP4 video file that looks very close to the original video.

* Last option inject a jpg as coverart, the MKV2MP4 app does this but can also be done with MP3tag or even iTunes.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

I've installed the latest version of Photo Gallery and all thumbnails now display perfectly!

I've spent the last few days looking for fixes which suggested different codecs and altering the registry (which I didn't think was a very good idea) not one article suggested that the latest version would fix the problem.

Thanks once again.

Regards

Mike

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom