1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to MediaPortal from 7MC

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by djcla, Jun 20, 2011.

1. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +225
    Cool, i may try mediamonkey again but have found mp3tag pretty good and suits my needs . Mptagthat was complainint about .net framework 4 not being installed when i have installed it so i gVe up.
  2. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +225
    wow adding covers to 6000 tracks is so much fun :suicide:

I have now resorted to using the internal video player with FFDshow rather than using mpc-hc and have it working pretty well. Was just curious what codec setup you were using and if you had anything in the post processing section at all?

On another note to all those who have not used Mediaportal i cant reccommend it enough its well worth getting to grips with and offers far more flexibility than 7mc imo.
  3. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Member

Ratings:
    +580
    There are tools that will automate this for you. (It may be part of the bits you have to pay for in MediaMonkey) Also you could always just use fanart handler to download them (although they then do not get tagged in the files). There is also another option, the audioscrobbler plugin, but that requires a last.fm account and I have a feeling pulls back quite poor res images anyway.

Remember I am using XP so I am more limited. I just use the old but good NVidia MPEG2 codec and the PowerDVD 10 H264 codec. The only issue I have had is with AAC on Freeview HD but a combination of Mainconcept AAC and FFDShow Audio as a post-processor seems to sort this (roughly).

Other than that I have not particularly bothered with post-processing as I have always found it is too much hassle for not much gain...

On another note to all those who have not used Mediaportal i cant reccommend it enough its well worth getting to grips with and offers far more flexibility than 7mc imo.[/QUOTE]
  4. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +225
    nah im a neat freak and would rather get them all perfect im just going through album at a time in mp3tag using amazon covers or just finding them on google . aiming for a minimum of 500 x 500 each time. I looked at media monkey and a script which used google but for some reason would not work for me so gave up.
  5. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +225
    Well im using the FFdshow registry filesetup i found on Home Theater tutorial - Introduction - HomeCinema-HD

with some tweaks etc i think the improvments on SD Avi's is worth it but hard to compare without seeing side by side comparrisons. For the HD stuff i may resort to the MS or FFDshow DXVA codecs at some point
  6. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +225
    Well I added covers to all my albums deleted everything in thumbs directory but for some reason getting a few that are not being extracted from the id3 tag in MP .
  7. Wo0zy

Wo0zy Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Hi djcla and Jameson,

I know the discussion has moved on a bit but I just wanted to comment on this. Hope you guys don't mind.:)

I too see the narrow black lines down both sides of the screen with the "normal" AR setting and, as djcla points out, it is only on some programs.

Unfortunately this is perfectly normal and due to the nature of broadcast video. I good way to see it is with BBC News broadcasts (studio reports not "on location" footage). Most of these broadcasts will show the lines on either side of the video however, you may notice that when graphic overlays are on screen these typically stretch beyond the edge of the video, through the black lines and off to the edge of the screen.

The reason you didn't see this with 7MC is because it does automatically apply a nominal amount of overscan to TV video (around 5% I think). Just enough to hide these edge anomalies. I think Jameson did mention that he thought that's what was happening.:). BTW this is also how most TV's handle it when you use the built-in tuners.

Sadly, MS don't implement the overscan in the decoder so just using the MS decoder in MP won't help.

Only people with "pixel perfect" display configurations are likely to see this i.e. if your display supports 1:1 pixel mapping or you have a custom resolution that exactly fits your display.

If your desktop (and therefore MP) has some overscan and you've used MP's UI calibration to "bring in" the UI elements, you'll probably never notice. That's one way of getting around the situation BUT that does mean your desktop will suffer from overscan too (only a problem if you use your HTPC for something other than MP). It's also not going to help people with native 1080p displays as, to the best of my knowledge, you can't (and wouldn't want to) enable overscan.

@ Jameson, while this isn't a bug, do you think it would be worth either you or I posting this on the MP forum as a potential feature request? It could be implemented as either another zoom option or as a configuration option (a tick box to enable TV overscan)?

I'm not an expert on TV broadcast technology but if some really detailed input is required we could always ask Sneals if he's around.

Sorry to interrupt the current thread discussion.

All the best,

Wo0zy
  8. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Member

Ratings:
    +580
    I don't see this on my 1080p plasma with no overscan applied. I have BBC on Freeview and Freesat (both SD and HD) too. I tend to notice this sort of thing as it drives me mad...

Does the screen size setting within MP not also go the other way do you can make the edges appear off the screen?
  9. Wo0zy

Wo0zy Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Hi jameson,

Last time I tried I couldn't get MP's screen size to go larger than the physical resolution applied but maybe I missed it.

However, that would apply to all video not just TV which wouldn't be desirable.

If you've never seen this the question is why. I only noticed it recently so maybe there's something else at play here.

Like I say, it's not all programs and it's not channel specific. I'll do some more tests later but it sure looks like typical edge artifacts. Perhaps we can figure it out :).

Thanks for the feedback.

All the best,

Wo0zy
  10. Wo0zy

Wo0zy Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Hi jameson,

OK, BBC2, Newsnight. Check it out if you have the time.

The bars are there in some frames but not in others and the overlay graphics always stretch to the edge of the screen.

I've tested with the Arcosft, MS and built in MPC decoder. Still the same.

Screencap attached. Not perfect but you can see that the blue graphic clearly extends beyond the video on the RHS.

All the best,

Wo0zy

Edit: I don't have IFC installed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  11. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Member

Ratings:
    +580
    Can't say I had noticed that (Newsnight is a bit high brow for me ;)) but is quite obvious from your screenshot

I have not played about with this but there is the overscan correction stuff in MP.

You can move stuff off screen but this actually moves the whole screen including skin files. The other screen should allow you to apply overscan just on video.

Attached Files:

12. Monty Burns

Monty Burns Member

Ratings:
    +136
    Ironic.

All the work you doing with XMLTV and thats all you need to do with 7MC as well..... I run Digiguide web client and pull it into 7MC every morning at 5am with Bigscreen EPG. Works flawlessly for ALL Sky channels that I subscribe to.

Skyplayer has gone but whats the bets that TunerFreeMCE will be adapted to include it?

Now as to why your missing channels thats probably just a config thing. Maybe you'll discover this with MP as well? :confused:
  13. Wo0zy

Wo0zy Member

Ratings:
    +72
    :rotfl:

Thanks jameson,

I did have another look at this but it does only seem to provide overscan compensation and not the ability to add overscan.

If it did, I guess it would be a universal setting (applied to all video content) and ideally I wouldn't want to introduce overscan to other media types (particularly 1080p content).

I still think it would be a nice feature to have the ability to enable a fixed amount of overscan to TV ONLY either from within MP configuration or maybe from within one of the sub-menus in the MP UI but I guess that would be quite hard to implement.

Still don't understand why you don't see this on your system though??

Thanks for reading.

All the best,

Mick.
  14. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Member

Ratings:
    +580
    Anyone using Sky or Freesat and MP might want to have a look at
    Custom Data Grabber with Plugins - MediaPortal Forum

I have been having a look at this recently and is something which is a work in progress but should be a big step forward for sorting out channel issues. This is meant to basically keep everything up to date so it will sort it out when channels move get added or replaced just like a Sky box. It also uses the Sky series link as an option for recordings. I think Freesat is not done yet but it is looking pretty promising for the future
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +225
    Woozy thanks for proving its not just my TV, i put it down to the 1024 x 768 rectangle pixel display that i use tbh. I have now applied overscan on the desktop and gone with that not ideal solution. I like your suggestion of a option to apply 5% zoom in the TV mode.

Other issues i get with the TV is very slight motion blur now nd then which i have never had in the past using 7MC or SKy this is using MS TV decoder. If i try using another decoder like FFDshow the picture stutters badly .

Next question
    When i boot up pc and it loads the MP menu after a few minutes the PC goes to sleep even though i have all standby stuff turned off in MCEstandby tool. I cant find a setting anywhere in MP to control this?
  16. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Member

Ratings:
    +580
    Is the HD or SD ?
    You may want to have a look at MP1 EVR Presenter/dshowhelper community development - MediaPortal Forum which I believe is meant to be getting very good (I am still on XP so I have not tried it)

The only two things will make MP sleep is Windows power settings or PowerScheduler plugin. If you have not configured the plugin then this should not do anything. Must admit I am not 100% sure what MCEStandbyTool does (last time I tried it, it actually made my standby issues worse)
  17. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +225
    SD never noticed in HD , i will check out the link ta.. I might try removing MCEStandby tool and making sure everything power managment is still off..
  18. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +225
    well last night my TV server side of MP completley screwed up wiped out all channel data and said unknown error when trying to view channels. as a last resort i thought i would try and reinstall it from scratch after removing MP. Oh what a mistake i forgot what a pain mysql was when it comes to removing :( so could not reinstall MP kept erroring on the mysql install no matter what i did. Anyway im at a point now where im going to buy a freesat box and just use the HTPC for films etc. It is just not worth the hassle having to mess about every time i want to watch TV . im getting right fed up with teh HTPC as I cant use standby, i get TV tuner not available all the time which requires a reboot, I could go on.. As its not just me in the house and the GF just gets anoyed with it, the simple solution is to put a freesat box in.
  19. Monty Burns

Monty Burns Member

Ratings:
    +136
    Why don't you try Media Centre? Sounds like all the equipment is already there! My Sky setup is far more complicated and now its settled down, never fails me....
  20. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +225
    media centre has its own issues and i cant be bothered to spend days trying to sort the EPG out add all the missing stations it fails to find and then a month later to find all the channels i removed reapear.. 7MC is ok just that MP has much better functionality and the ability to tweat the decoders etc.
  21. Monty Burns

Monty Burns Member

Ratings:
    +136
    ??? Mine scanned over 2000 channels. Granted most of them are crap and radio stations but still..... you sure its not your DVB card?

To be honest, I have been in your position before where its not "just working" and its often best at these point to take another route, in your case a freeview box. Best of luck, hope it works out better for you :)
  22. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +225
    yeah get loads of channels but it does not find ITVHD or at least correctly labbled. I dont think NHKworldHD appears in the list there are a few more i dont recall being there.
  23. ninja 12

ninja 12 Member

Ratings:
    +243
    I had to reinstall MediaPortal a while ago , after some files got corrupted while coming out of standby , Now I make regular backups of
    " C\program files (86)\Team MediaPortal" and " C\program Data\Team MediaPortal"

If it starts acting up , I can just restore the backed up files and it sorts it out ( I only had to this once and it worked )

Why can't you use standby ?

Just checked on mine , I have NHK World HD , and I've always had ITV HD , so maybe you have a tuner / lnb problem .
  24. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +225
    because i can never get the display to come back on ater going into s3 or s4 so i dont bother with it at all now

that was in relation to 7mc i have them in MP
  25. ninja 12

ninja 12 Member

Ratings:
    +243
    I always make sure my tv is turned on before powering up my htpc from sleep , never had any problems .
    No other advice to offer , sorry :)

Ok , I thought they were missing in MediaPortal
  26. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Member

Ratings:
    +580
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +225
    Machine rebuilt and after some tweaking of settings in reclock and ffdshow I'm up and running again. I have also moved the 7010ix to a new slot see if that fixes the tuners not available error
  28. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +225
    Still get tuners not available error but on the plus side a setting in the BIOS has not resolved my S3/4 sleep issues and i can not put my machine to hibernate and bring it back online again :) This means i should not lose the tuners and so far so good. Now i just playing around with power scheduler trying to get things setup right.
  29. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Member

Ratings:
    +580
    Replace the 7010ix, you know you want to ;)
  30. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +225
    i will replace it as i got that stupid tuner not available error again after a S4 resume :(... Its what to replace it with im hanging out the new Blackgold 2 x T2 and 2 x S2 card at the moment. But if the TBS 2 x S2 card comes down to £75 again i will buy that for now.

A question for you, im running on dual S2 and when i select a program to record at 7:30pm until 8pm on one channel and a program at 7:30pm to 9PM on another, i then decide to tape another program at 8pm on say ch 4 i get a conflict even though program 1 has finished by 8pm. I have everything to start recording dead on with no pre or post time padding. Any ideas?