Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to MediaPortal from 7MC

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by djcla, Jun 20, 2011.

1. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +238
    Well thought i would give MP a try on the weekend as im fed up with the lack of channel data and missing freesat stations. Now they are stoping Skyplayer too there is nothing left for me.

Anyway found a beta version of MediaPortal to install and went about setting it up. After some hours i got the TV stuff sorted and noticed there was loads of Sat channels that i never had before and a whole new HD one called NHK HD i think. :D . Im still missing a load of TV guide data but i think that is workable with Webepg plugin.

Next up i installed Moving pictures and MP-TV and let them retrieve all my film data.

I set up an external player for video to autofrequency/MPC-HC but the switching from 720p to 1080P is not working well which is frustrating. If there was a way to use MADvr in MP as a renderer ( cant fidn a way to do this ) i probably wouldnt need MPC-HC at all tbh as the configuration side of MediaPortal is excellent. So i have some work to do here to get things switch correctly but so far looks promising.

Watching TV seems pretty good and ive configured MP to use my MS remote and disable the 7MC services etc. Ive not watched or played with the TV side of it yet to much but it seems pretty good so far although not quite as simple to series link as 7MC but that be me.

A few things id like to know is how to kill the TV service as even when not using MP it has locked out my tuners so i cant use them in 7MC which is annoying as im only testing at the mo.

Also is there a plugin like nevermiss.tv or TV Catchup etc so i can get the Iplayer stuff?

Overall though quite impressed and at least there is an active community and its being delveloped as im not sure MS are to bothered about Media centre these days.
  2. PsyVision

PsyVision Member

Ratings:
    +36
    You can't used MadVr in MP at the moment. You would have to continue using an external player such as MPC-HC.

I didn't find WebEPG too reliable and so I am using XMLTV, the information is downloaded via DigiGuide although you could use RadioTimes if you don't want to pay for an XMLTV service.

For TV service link, google for "MediaPortal Custom Data Grabber" and there are Sky and Freesat grabbers which can do linking - although this is work in progress. You can also replace the MediaPortal TV server with one called 4TheRecord which even has a WebEPG so you can remotely setup recordings. I played with this for a bit but may revisit it at some time. I think it works with MP1.2b.

You can stop the TV service by entering the TV Setup and going to the Manual Control option on the left. There is then a Stop Service button on the right hand side. You can then click Start Service to restart it (or it will restart when you re-enter TV setup).

Have a look at the Avalon skin - it's still work in progress but is very nice IMO.

I'm not sure about using iPlayer. There may be a plugin, I don't think OnlineVideos does iPlayer.

NHK World has been out for a while, some interesting stuff on there.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +238
    i looked at the XMLTV plugin but could not work out how to set it up so gave up, WEBEPG does not seem to find all the channels though so i will re investigate thanks for the tips.
  4. PsyVision

PsyVision Member

Ratings:
    +36
    The XMLTV process is a bit weird and took quite a bit of playing.

There is this tool, which I couldn't get MP to import properly but it may have just been me doing something wrong:

http://mc2xml.yourfreehosting.net/

There is also the XMLTV GUI application (which I use - using the DigiGuide plugin but there is one for the Radio Times).

Once you have your XMLTV file, go into the XMLTV plugin and configure it to look at the directory containing the XML file. Then go onto the TV mappings tab and click Load/Refresh, look for the channels coloured red (no match) and select the correct EPG channel in the drop down. Then click Save. Then click Load/Refresh again and they should go Green. Then go back to the XMLTV config tab and click Force Import. It should then import the channels and programs.
  5. robbo100

robbo100 Member

Ratings:
    +244
    +1 for xmltv. I use XMLTVGUI to download the data too. You can run it in console mode as a windows scheduled task once you have confugured it (that way it runs and closes automatically once a week).

For Iplayer, I use either the "OnlineVideos" plugin, or I use the "Multishortcut" plugin to run NevermissTV.

To kill the TV Server you could just write a simple batch file which uses the "kill" command in dos.
  6. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +580
    Yeah just to reiterate what has already been said ;)

iPlayer is available via the Online Videos plugin but that does not have ITV player. I think 4OD is available there but from youtube.

If you want Freesat then the thread to look at is Custom Data Grabber with Plugins - MediaPortal Forum
    This is still a work in progress and I know it was mainly around Sky first so not 100% how much of the Freesat stuff has been added (most I think)
    • Track channel changes (moves and new / removed ones)
    • Freesat EPG
    • Freesat Series Link (with a button to record a series)

But as for series recordings that you might want to look at the "every week on this channel" option which is annoyingly the bottom one on the list. This actually looks for a title on that day every week. If it is not one (say a sports event or series ends) then it does not get recorded.

I too pay for Digiguide EPG and import as xmltv as you get two weeks + or really good quality EPG data and more importantly you get proper series/episode info. MP has a nice option where you can tell it to only record episodes that are not already recorded but this is reliant on your EPG having series/episode data which Freesat/Freeview don't (well they do sometimes but only in the description)

To stop TVService you just stop the service (either go into services.msc or open a command prompt as admin and
    Code:
    net stop tvservice
    with
    Code:
    net start tvservice
    to start again)

As regards refresh rate changing I have a feeling that the inbuilt changer works for external players too (not tried this though). MadVR won't work in MP itself.

Make sure you install fanart handler and InfoService as well as a nice skin (Maya is nice and Avalon is looking great but is not fully working yet) :D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. imilne

imilne Member

Ratings:
    +70
    If you go the xmltv route, then you can use DVBGuide to save the over-the-air listings from both the Freeview and Freesat EPGs. It takes about 30s to grab the Freesat one, and about 5-6 minutes for the Freeview stuff.
  8. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +238
    Cheers guys that gives me more to test i dont mind paying for an accurate epg just need to work out how to get it now and use it. Never realised the built in refresh changer worked for external player to i will test that i think thanks
  9. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +580
    AIUI it is the same as other switchers though in that it will switch based on the first video it finds. This might be annoying if you watch a bluray but get 50i trailers.

Speaking of blurays, you can use Bluray Handler 0.9.7 (BETA) - MediaPortal Forum to play them direct in MP
  10. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +238
    Do you find u get a black bar left and right on normal tv btw? I have to crop the image to make it fit 100%
  11. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +580
    No, are you running at 1080p? I used to miss 6 pixels on my old 1366x768 LCD as that was fed at 1360x768.

There is a plugin that I think will remove any black space automatically depending on your settings.

I.F.C. - Intelligent Frame Correction - MediaPortal Forum

I think codec choice can do odd things too. IIRC I tried a couple of different MPEG2 codecs and some of these added black lines or the funny data at the top (this used to carry teletext on analogue signals but I assume still carries some data ??)

This is hard to find :rolleyes: but you can go into the settings (there are some settings within MP itself) which allows you to set where your screen is). The only issues I have seen like this are across the board not just in MP and I guess based on the question you did not have this issue in 7MC (or did you adjust the overscan there ?)
  12. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +238
    Never had issue in 7mc its the same at 1080P or 720P native. I choose the MS decoder for TV stuff unless there is a better recommendation?

Not all programs show the bars and they are only about 8mm wide on each side. I go into the settings in MP itself and i can crop them so its not a deal breaker but very odd.

Next how do i get the digital teletext service to work on Digital telestrial which i could do in 7MC. i.e. red button on ch 1 .
  13. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +580
    No MS DTV should be fine (in fact good for TV)

Odd, what channels is this on? What zoom mode are you using? If you press shift+1 what does it show as the input res ?

Ummm :rolleyes: errrr :rolleyes: well.....

DVB Subtitles work but there is no implementation of MHEG5 (red button) services. Unfortunately there is no open source way of doing it. People have tried many times over the years but no one has managed to produce a proper working solution :(

You can still tune to the interactive streams (manually) but you can't get the red button screens.
  14. imilne

imilne Member

Ratings:
    +70
    That's a big plus in my book. No annoying "Press Red" messages on screen all the time :clap:
  15. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +238
    Before I go mad help
    I download digiguide
    I download xmltv GUI
    I Enable webservice in digiguide
    In xmltv GUI I go to settings choose digiguide config enter local URL and port and a password but Chanel button greyed out still?
  16. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +238
    Taken the crop off now and set to normal and it works ok now for some reason hmm very odd I try and replicate again
  17. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +580
    I think you still need dg2xml as the skin for DigiGuide but this is hard to track down... Be careful as it should not be an exe which I have seen claiming to be the right thing. IIRC it is a zip file.

Edit: Think http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=395874&postcount=6 is legit. You don't need the exe, just the skin part. XMLTVGUI should do the rest. You may want to change the encoding to UTF8 in XMLTVGUI as is messes up things with special characters like pokemon with the standard encoding setting
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  18. PsyVision

PsyVision Member

Ratings:
    +36
    You don't need to select the channels. It will download XML info for all of the channels you have selected within DigiGuide (make sure that has them in beforehand...).

Also, I had to set DigiGuide to use a specific skin for web access, I couldn't find the 'skin' for a while as I don't think it's maintained anymore - if you need it let me know and I'll dig it out.
  19. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +238
    i put the skin under

C:\Program Files\DigiGuide TV Guide\schemes\server skins
    run xmltv gui and get error

20:31:40 - Downloading http://192.168.*.*:2402/skin-DG2XML/sid-E52AAFA6-E66B-4B7D-B645-388D2CE85610/viewmultichannelgrid?htd=3000&dt=<h1>Skin 'DG2XML' is missing</h1>&chi=0&noc=5
  20. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +238
    Got it working now sort of was my fault for nit copying the entire folder. Now when I use xmltv plugin I'm not seeing all the digiguide channels . I selected my region and freesat in digiguide but things like 5 are not on the drop down list in xmltv plugin
  21. PsyVision

PsyVision Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I've noticed this but I've not been bothered to look into it yet :( Maybe open the XMLTV download in a decent text editor (or IE) and then see if you can find Channel 5. If it hasn't got into the XML then it will never be in MP. I will have a play with it tomorrow night and let you know if I fix it, if you haven't by then :)

Edit: Not enjoying Embarrassing Fat Bodies, will look at this now :)
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  22. PsyVision

PsyVision Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Okay, just checked. I do have it.

1. Is it showing in DigiGuide?
    2. Open the XML output and search for Channel 5 or UK_Digi_105, if it's there then you should see it when you Load/Refresh the XmlTv mappings in MP TV Config.
  23. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +238
    I was looking under five lol I'm a spoon. I've now added all sky channels etc to digiguide too . I found xmltv GUI not pulling all the channels still mind so using dg2xml now instead it works a treat and much easier. Realised u need a tvguide.lst file and to call the downloaded XML tvguide.XML and job done. Next is there a way to get the itvhd data to show what audio it is or if it's in hd in the guide?
  24. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +580
    HD yes, audio no but it is skin dependant.

You should not need a tvguide.lst (this is only when you have multiple xml files). You just need to get XMLTVGUI to create a file (I use windows scheduler to do this every day , MP will then pickup when the file is created and import it. The only thing I think you need to do is make sure there is an xmltv.dtd file (there will be copies in MP directory) in the same folder as the extract.

I also turn on sorting by channel and start time (seems to make import a little quicker) and set it to UTF8.

This bit is a pain but once one it should not need touching again...
  25. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +238
    Using dg2xml commandline program i get a massive outputfile but using the xmltv gui im seeing a 5mb file with hardly any channels listed. XMTV plugin will not play ball for me without file called tvguide.lst in the same folder as the tvguide.xml.

Next issue when im in xmltv and choose the group sat channels ( which is my group of stations i actually want ) it lists them as expected but if i tick the radio stations button it then proceeds to give me the full list of everything in all groups :(.. Now i dont mind but it will take me an age to go through them all adding the correct guide :( ..
  26. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +238
    infoservice plugin disables itself says its not compatible with along with fanart handler and maya lol says they not compatible with the beta version of MP im usings even though i intstalled them from the config menu of MP :(
  27. PsyVision

PsyVision Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Try grabbing them through here:

Plugin/Skin List for MP 1.2.0.0 Beta - MediaPortal Wiki

Or Googling for 1.2 compatible versions, I had some trouble tracking down the correct versions :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +238
    nice one now i have a 60MB tvguide.xml with pretty much every channel i can find in it but for some reason xmltv plugin refuses to list them all in the drop down, its like it is still listing the ones from before. I dont know how to refersh the list so it shows me ever sky ch etc from my xml file.
  29. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +580
    it is a bit odd... I think you need to click on the force import (or whatever it is called) and this will run and after that the new channels should appear.

Remember if you have more channels in your xml than you want to populate it will take longer to import.

I am not at home until the weekend but I will check what settings I have as I seem to remember the XMLTVGUI setup working fine right out the box. Will see what I did.

Once xmltv is up and running it is worth it. Just a pain to setup and map all the channels.
  30. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +238
    ok i have now got the xmltv gui thing to create a file which is of a decent size 90mb . When i load refresh the list in MP tv config its only listing about 50 channels up to bbc *** in alphabetcal order. If i use dg2xml password=**** noc=2000 outfile=tvguide.xml i get a slightly larger file and load/refresh in MP TV config xmltv plugin brings me the majority of the channels just missing the odd one for no reason. man this is doing my head in now.. I wont even start on asking about getting it to work on ubuntu server yet rotfl: