Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving Home and Switching to Infinity

Discussion in 'BT' started by highpriest, Dec 22, 2011.

1. highpriest

highpriest Member

Ratings:
    +49
    I'm currently with O2 Broadband and the phone line is provided by Sky. I will be moving into a new home towards the end of January (possibly Feb). I'm trying to work out the best way to cancel my current Sky and O2 contracts and switch to Infinity at the new house while keeping my current home phone number.

How do you recommend I go about it? Should I simply cancel my O2 BB contract and let BT take care of the number transfer from Sky? Thanks in advance.

Cheers
  2. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,077
    You only need to speak to o2.

Just get your MAC code from O2 and BT will handle the rest (BB & phone).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Amran

Amran Member

Ratings:
    +40
    But the exchange center has to be the same at the new address.

Can I keep my current phone number?
    If you're moving within the same telephone exchange area (e.g. Lincoln 01522) it may be possible for you to keep your current phone number. If you're moving out of the area, we can arrange for your current number to be redirected to your new number. Just choose our caller redirect product when you place your order and we'll do the rest.

link:
    My BT: Moving home? Move your home phone, broadband & digital TV easily
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. maf1970

maf1970 Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Cancel O2 and Sky at the start of January. They usually require a month's notice for cancellation and I'm assuming that you have served the minimum contract length.(12 months normally). If not you may have costs to pay to exit contract early. You can only keep your number when moving to a house in the same area. (Must connect to same exchange).
    When do you actually get the keys for your new property ?

Contact BT in the New Year to get the ball rolling on getting a telephone line connected and then getting Infinity installed. See if there are any deals you can take advantage of.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. highpriest

highpriest Member

Ratings:
    +49
    We are well outside the minimum contract with Sky and O2.

Yes, I'll be hooked up to the same exchange in Winchester.

No idea to be honest. If everything goes well, it might be towards the end of January or early Feb.

That's what I was thinking as well. But surely I can't place a confirmed order with BT until I get the keys to the property?

Cheers
  6. highpriest

highpriest Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Azzin, Amran and maf1970, many thanks for responding. Appreciated.

Cheers
  7. Delvey

Delvey Active Member

Ratings:
    +861
    I only had to give O2 seven days notices. I was also outside the 12 month contract period
  8. maf1970

maf1970 Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Just checked Sky's cancellation notice is 31 days. However if you have Sky TV as well they would class this as a downgrade of your package. The site suggests you speak to an advisor on 08442 410 266.

O2 BB has to be cancelled over the phone with them. Notice period is still 30 days.There is a 7 day notice option called Express but it cost £15.32 but there site suggests this is for customers who are not happy with their service and want to leave altogether.

Still think it is worth speaking to BT if nothing else to get timelines for getting phone line then Infinity.
    Main priority is getting a definite move-in date for your new house. As everything else hinges on this.