Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting TV on a lathe & plaster wall

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by marks87, Apr 10, 2008.

1. marks87

marks87 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For a while now I've been meaning to mount my 17" LCD TV onto the wall and today I've started the first steps.

As the thread title suggests, it's a lathe and plaster wall. So, a few holes in it later and I'm 90% sure I've found a stud (I'll do some more drilling just to confirm).

But now, I'm not entirely sure what the best route is from here, because different sites say different things. Do I go ahead and try to mount straight onto the stud, or am I better off making a mounting board and fixing that, then using strong wood screws to attach the bracket to this?

Or, is there any other method?

Cheers.

PS - the TV is 7kg. Just in case that makes a difference.
  2. marks87

marks87 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to reply to my own post, but...

I decided to see if the stud was wide enough to take the bracket...and lo-and-behold it is. So I fixed the wall plate to it and found it almost impossible to fully drive the screws (but managed in the end), which I'm taking as a good sign.

I assembled the arm and suspended a rucksack with around 8kg of books in it off the end. I also stuck a pound coin on its end on the bar. Almost five hours later and the bracket was still up and the coin hadn't moved, so I took that as proof that it was solid.

A further three hours later and my TV is up and the room returned to near-normality - just need to fill in these "seek" holes and tidy up my cables! (Off I trot to another board for advice about the latter...)
  3. Bossk128

Bossk128 Member

Ratings:
    +87
    I'm in the process of trying to decide where to put my TV, and wall mounting is one option. It's 38kgs though :rolleyes:

Does anyone have experience of mounting a large plasma to lathe and plaster without digging a hole through to the masonry?
  4. scatterbug

scatterbug Member

Ratings:
    +156
    It might be better asking in the plasma mounts and brackets forum. However, I doubt lathe & plaster can hold that kind of weight. You need to affix to studwork or masonry.