Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting a large TV on a Paramount/Eggbox wall?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by wywywywy, Nov 29, 2010.

1. wywywywy

wywywywy Member

Ratings:
    +52
    Hi all,

To my horror, the wall between the living room and the hallway/stairs is actually a Paramount (i.e. egg box) wall, not a timber-stud partition wall! The house isn't even old - it was built in 2000.

So, what is the best way to mount a large TV, say a 50" plasma, on it? I presume that simply mounting it on the plaster isn't going to be strong enough in the long run.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
  2. wywywywy

wywywywy Member

Ratings:
    +52
    If it is not appropriate here can a mod please move it to the Brackets & Mount forum.
  3. Sanders79

Sanders79 Member

Ratings:
    +207
    Tricky one..!

Maybe consider cuttng into the plaster and fit some studs floor to ceiling to hold the bracket? Potential very disruptive and messy and depends how confident you are with such things.

Another option might be to install a mini stud wall on top of the existing wall - if that makes sense? In other words, still fit plates on the ceiling and floor with studs floor to ceiling, but the whole thing would site proud of the existing wall, and plasterboard/skim over to finish. This might give you the ideal way of hiding cables etc. too, but if you want a flush install then it's not much good of course.

Any good?
  4. wywywywy

wywywywy Member

Ratings:
    +52
    Possibly! I could make it look like some sort of floating wall (on the sides, not top and bottom) and put some ultra-modern wallpaper on it I suppose?

However, I already have new wooden flooring down, so I don't want to lift it up and fix the structure to the sub-floor. And to fix it to the ceiling might be slightly tricky too as there isn't a joist directly above.

Would it be okay for it to just sit on the wooden floor, and use multiple (probably a full box of 30 of them!) medium plaster anchor plugs to fix the structure to the wall? I guess the weight would be mainly on the floor not on the wall in that case, right?
  5. Sanders79

Sanders79 Member

Ratings:
    +207
    Hmm, I guess so... the bulk of the weight will be going straight down on the fixings (shearing), so if the structure is basically sat on the floor, then this shearing would be minimised. I would still be keen to get some fixing into the ceiling though, even if it means putting an extra noggin in where you need to fix.
  6. Grumpsimus

Grumpsimus Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Paramount partitioning does use studs between the joints of the sheets, although these are only approx 2 inch square timber. If you can try and locate where thes studs are, as they provide the best fixing points.

I would suggest suggest using a large sheet of Plywood attached firmly to the wall where you wish to mount the TV. Idealy you want to get at least two screws into a stud, other fixings could be the normal plasterboard type (the stronger metal type). The TV fixing bracket can then be screwed on to the plywood.

The idea is that the plywood distributes the weight of the TV across a much larger area of plasterboard, giving a much firmer fixing.

I know some people do screw brackets direct to plasterboard and sometimes they get away with it. However, plasterboard is quite varied in its loading bearing capacity and it is difficult to decide what is going to work without trying a few test holes first.
  7. lockdown81

lockdown81 Member

Ratings:
    +58
    may even be lucky to pick up one of the studs along the bracket fixing holes and use plaster board fixings for the rest :confused: