1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorola Droid RAZR

Discussion in 'Motorola Mobile Phones' started by Guns_LotsOfGuns, Oct 19, 2011.

1. JC4PM

JC4PM Member

Ratings:
    +18
    The Atrix has HDMI, does this phone?
  2. wiz

wiz Member

Ratings:
    +108
    It has a mini HDMI port
  3. Stupid61

Stupid61 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I bought my Razr last Wednesday from Handtec for £437.99. They are fast, reliable and helpful on the phone. Bought it at 16:00 and it was on the doorstep by 14:00 next day. You also get a 1 hour delivery slot notification, which is helpful.

Firstly, note that you need a micro-sim for this phone. I am an O2 Simplicity customer. O2 customer service were remarkable helpful and the operative told me all I have to do is drop in to an O2 store and ask for one. It was as simple as that. Then when I was ready to activate the new phone all I had to do was ring customer service again from my old phone (HTC Desire) and they took the number from the sim card and switched my account. The person warned it could take up to 24 hours, but in fact it was done so quickly that it cut off the phone call I was making to them!

Having used the Desire since it was launched it is so good to get back to a phone that isn't low on space. The Razr comes with 8Gb system memory, which is down to about 4.3Gb once their interface is installed. Then there's another 8Gb for files. On top of this there's a micro SD slot which I have put a 16Gb card into, so all in all plenty of space.

The phone boots pretty quickly. It feels really wide in the hand but after 4 days I'm used to it. The Techradar review said the camera bulge at the top made it feel unbalanced, but I haven't found that, although I do have reasonably large hands.

I thought I would miss the additional 2 home screens, but 5 seems to be enough and I'm happy with that. I am not so sure about the apps being on sideways-scrolling screens. I much prefer the continuous vertical list you get on HTC Sense. However, unlike Sense, the app screens do re-orientate when you turn the phone to landscape.

I agree with the earlier comment about the gallery, but haven't had much time to tweak it yet. My biggest gripe by absolutely miles is that the battery level indicator only shows in 10% increments and it can be a bit unnerving when you're running lower and nowhere near home because when it shows, say, 30% you're not really sure if it's actually 29% or closer to 21% and about to get a bit hairy!

Can't say I like the music player too much either. I have ripped all my music via Windows Media Player and on the Desire the album art was picked up. It's all there but the Moto doesn't pick it up. Anyone got any ideas? I'll give myself a couple of days playing with it before I revert to Win Amp.

I also think the built-in calendar app is pretty poor, but again that's what the market is for.

The other massive problem for me is that the wi-fi signal quality is lousy. As I type this I'm sitting 2 feet from a good wireless router and the signal strength on the phone is still struggling to show full strength reception. If I move to the next room, even immediately the other side of the wall it drops away badly. Luckily the standard data signal is very good, so I can get by without wireless more than the Desire could.

Overall, though, I really like it. Oh, and call quality is pretty good too! :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. BadBoy_R

BadBoy_R Member

Ratings:
    +23
    What made you purchase this over the Galaxy Nexus?
  5. Stupid61

Stupid61 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    1. It's in the shops now and I was sick of having no space to update anything on the Desire.
    2. ICS upgrade promised in the new year
    3. 8Mp camera rather than the 5Mp in the Samsung
    4. Great looking display - have to say I'm not disappointed
    5. Swype built in. I've used that on the Desire for a year or more and love it
  6. scrapbook

scrapbook Active Member

Ratings:
    +431
    I would like to try one of these out but can't find them in any of the numerous shops locally
  7. SNUK10

SNUK10 New Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Am considering this handset myself. However am put off by the 6 hour light usage battery performance. Many people are claiming they are struggling to get over half a day out of the battery. Let us know how you get on with the battery life once it has settled.
  8. BadBoy_R

BadBoy_R Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Battery performance on this phone is good.

There is one guy who is getting 48 hours from it. Have a read over on xda forum.

Only people having issues are minimal and it is usually down to some app being installed.

There are people who rate the battery on the nexus and others who don't.

My only concern with this handset are the wifi issues, however there seemed to be an update which addressed this according to posts on xda?
  9. Stupid61

Stupid61 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry, misleading statement. I meant it was available now, rather than having to wait for the launch of the Galaxy Nexus. As I said, I bought mine from Handtec.

Battery life seems fine, although I tend to go into airplane mode a lot at work, in and out of meetings. I also do a 1 hour tube journey daily each way, two thirds of which is underground. Battery life was worrying at first, but over the last 5 days it has definitely improved. Would have few worries about getting a pretty full day out of it.
  10. tony kop77

tony kop77 Active Member

Ratings:
    +43
    How does it compare with the Galaxy S2?
  11. twist

twist Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,247
    Yeah, I really like the look of this but is the S2 superior?
  12. BadBoy_R

BadBoy_R Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I've ended up going for the nexus
  13. Stupid61

Stupid61 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    My son had a play with a friend's S2 a few months ago and reckoned it felt really flimsy. He ended up going for a Sensation, but regrets it because HTC Sense is always re-booting (although having about a hundred apps installed might have something to do with that!).

Expert Reviews just rated the Razr above the S2 partly because of its robust build and splash-resistance. I think performance is pretty similar otherwise, but the S2 has a slightly better screen
  14. esulp

esulp Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I picked one up from Tesco last Wednesday. My wife has had an Galaxy S2 for a few months and I'm coming from a Galaxy S.

While the screen/sound on the S were great, my main problem was that the actual mobile signal was poor. Sitting at my desk, I would loose and gain signal all day long. The radio would often give up leaving me to reboot when I noticed to regain the ability to make and receive calls :)

The very plastic feel of the S and S2 also wasn't to my liking - and I feel that the S2 is worse in this as it is bigger and lighter.

So I decided to go for the Razr. As there aren't too many comparisons with the S2 I thought I post up my thoughts.

In size, its a few mm longer than the S2. The screen is the same size, but higher resolution so you get more on screen. It feels comfortable in my hand and is ok to use one handed. The screen is big and bright (although the S2 screen is brighter).

Benchmarking it with AnTuTu gives the following figures:
    RAM: 800
    CPU Integer: 1611
    CPU Float: 1253
    2D Graphics: 300
    3D Graphics: 1204
    Database I/O: 440
    SD card write: (8.1 MB/s) 81
    SD card read: (19.4 MB/s) 187
    CPU frequency: 1200 MHz
    Total score: 5876

My wifes S2 comes in with a figure just bellow this as 5855 - but being slightly faster in the 3D graphics and CPU integer and floating point tests. The main area that causes the Razr to get a higher total score is the Database I/O which was 40 units better than the S2.

If you want the faster phone, there really isn't much in it between the two. But I'd say the S2 if your into gaming.

On the phone signal front, the Razr is great. It holds a signal all day at my desk, even giving me a data connection (impossible on my Galaxy S). Calls are clear and loud enough. No complaints as a phone :)

The UI is OK. I'd rather have a vanilla google experience, but I'll give this a fair go for a few more weeks. You have a few nice graphical touches and it seems fast enough - but I'm sure it will be even faster when I switch to Launcherpro :)

Smart Actions - I must be doing something wrong, as I can't get most of them to work once I've set them up. I'll stick to Timerific.

Motocast - not tried it, or likely to. With 16/32Gb cards, do you really need to keep a PC on to stream from? And if your at home...surely you have other means to watch/listen to stuff?!

The screen - Generally, its very nice. Its bright and the resolution is good. Some of the grey backgrounds behind the menu's look pixelated (pentile effect maybe?) but this may just be a background that Motorola have applied. Looking at an image containing the grey doesn't have the same effect. Its also not noticable on any other screens/video's.

There is a yellow/green cast as well as a blue cast visible depending on the viewing angle (yellow head on, turns blue'ish as you tilt it away). This is the opposite of what I have observed on the S2 - its has a blue'ish cast head on that gets warmer as you tilt the screen. Its not too bad and very very slight. But one of those things that some people will notice straight away.

In terms of colour saturation and brightness, the S2 is brighter and more vivid.

For those looking at the Nexus, remember that you loose some pixels for the soft keys (although they disappear in some cases like when watching video). Overall, you get a few more pixels in width but the Razr has more in length (we did a side to side comparison).

The camera - the S2 has a better camera. Razr's camera is poor in low (ie indoor) light, you will need the flash. Composing the shot, the live view is very grainy but relatively quick (compared to no grain, but very "jerky" on the S2). The images look a little out of the S2.

Battery life is average so far. I've only gone through 4 recharge cycles so far, so it may improve. But given that the battery is not removable, if your a heavy gamer/media user then this probably isn't the phone for you. I tend to listen to an hour of music, watch 40 mins of video and surf for 30 mins a day with the odd call now and then. On a two year old Galaxy S I was just about getting through the work day (on about 15/20% by 9pm). So far the Razr has been a little better, but its too early to judge this.

Wifi - is not great. At home, I can get a good connection and it works great. At work it just won't lock onto the wifi signal in the office. The S2 picks up more wifi networks than the Razr in the same area.

The Razr and S2 are very similar in spec. The Nexus is architecturally similar to the Razr as well - same graphics chipset but a more overclockable CPU. If your looking for an upgrade to the S2 - this isn't it.

All in all, I like the Razr and would keep it....but the headphone socket stopped working this morning :facepalm:. Hopefully I can get a replacement and it will be fine, but very disappointing after 4 days of use.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  15. pops107

pops107 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Hello Guys, My first post in the phone forum.

I have had the this phone since the 22-11-11 Tmobile £25pm 600m 600tex 500mb, I love it carnt find anything to complain about and that seems to be hard to find over that last few years.

My wife has the sony arc and it gets its ass kicked by the moto in every way other then the screen find them diffrent but as good if you no what i mean

wireless problems people been talking about i carnt seem to fault at all

God it is fast carnt seem to slow it down

Battery life i get about 2 days ish just depends what i do on it, on a normal day i send about 15-20 tex's and receve the same spend about 10-20 min a day talking use internet on and off, leave wireless on all day but BT off does me ok

The only thing i find strange it the HDMI output to tv seems realy poor qualty when using bbc iplayer or itv player apps any one found any way to get this better ?

regards sam
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  16. esulp

esulp Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Just to update, I got my replacement and so far not had any problems. The battery life also seems to be better on this new one already. Its looking like I may be able to get 1.5/2 days out of it when I stick JuiceDefender on!

About the wifi...for anyone thinking that the Nexus will be much better, it isn't. Both the Razr and Nexus have similar performance when it comes to wifi - they are both less able to lock onto a weak signal than a Galaxy S.
  17. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Guns_LotsOfGuns Moderator/Games Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,399
    Finally managed to find one in the wild CPW got their first shipment this week in Brum,free on a £31 tariff, liking it so far, feels way bigger than i thought it was, still can't get over how thin and light it is makes my Milestone look ancient!
  18. Kwman

Kwman Active Member

Ratings:
    +501
    Theres an update for the phone, but dunno what its for. Downloading right now.

Update - Bug fixes and performance increase to the phone.

Hopefully it will fix some niggles I have with the phone. the main one is WiFi connectivity.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  19. wiz

wiz Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Thanks, Downloading now
  20. Spunky_Monkey

Spunky_Monkey Member

Ratings:
    +42
  21. Stupid61

Stupid61 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I installed the update last night. Was about 2 or 300Mb I think. For a while it looked so big I though it was going to be ICS, but no discernible differences to the interface that I can see.
    It's just possible that the wi-fi is a bit quicker to lock on and establish a decent signal, but haven't really had a chance yet to measure it properly.
    Had the phone nearly a month now and I still love it. It's soooo quick! I still don't like the battery only showing in 10% increments, but that's a minor niggle. I've got used to the apps list scrolling horizontally, which I didn't like at first, but not a lot else I could moan about.
    My main gripe now is I haven't worked out how to force the browser to default to showing full web pages rather than mobile versions. Anyone know?
  22. Kwman

Kwman Active Member

Ratings:
    +501
    I couldn't find that option either so I downloaded another browser. I'm using Opera atm.
  23. scrapbook

scrapbook Active Member

Ratings:
    +431
    9 times out of 10 I find having the mobile web page fsr more useful then the main websites as they basically have the feel of an app
  24. JDCFH

JDCFH Active Member

Ratings:
    +590
    Hello,

I'm due an upgrade in 2 weeks time and I'm torn between the SGS2 or the RAZR.

I've been put off the Samsung as it seems it has problems with echo when its put inside a case like the Otterbox Commuter etc etc.

Samsung Galaxy S2 - Echo in voice calls <--- details the fault.

Does anyone here use their RAZR in a tough case?

Or know of any similar problems with the Motorola phone?
  25. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Guns_LotsOfGuns Moderator/Games Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,399
    I don't use a case, i generally don't like them and haven't had one for any of my phones, i certainly wouldnt put my RAZR in one since its so sexy and slim a case would take away from that.

As far as audio quality ive not heard of any issues in a case or otherwise, ive had quite a few Moto phones and the audio quality is usually top notch if that helps :)
  26. JDCFH

JDCFH Active Member

Ratings:
    +590
    Thanks...

I work on building sites so a case will be needed :D
  27. Stupid61

Stupid61 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Doesn't the Razr have noise cancelling microphones, one front and one rear? Might it be that a case blocks one of the mics and somehow causes an echo?
    I find the sound in the earpiece just a little bit bassy during normal use, but otherwise it's better that the Desire was.
  28. JDCFH

JDCFH Active Member

Ratings:
    +590
    The echo problem is with Samsung Galaxy S2 not the RAZR I'm torn between the phones and just wondered if anyone had experienced a echo with the Motorola.

More and more people reporting echo problem on Samsung so think I'm going to get the RAZR.

Edit...

Have decided to get one of these next weekend when my contract is up.

The ones available in the U.K are only the RAZR though aren't they and not the Droid RAZR? I think the only difference is that the Droid has 4G and the RAZR does not?
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  29. accyuklad

accyuklad New Member

Ratings:
    +281
    uk are xt910 which have 4g aswell so i dont think theres a difference
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  30. JDCFH

JDCFH Active Member

Ratings:
    +590
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012