Motorcycle MOT requirements

short answer is yes it is required. Normally this is part of the tail light unit.

It's separate on my moped, but still there.

Dave

Cheers,

Just picked one up FOC from my local pushbike shop. Guess I'll just have to bolt it on under the plate somewhere.

All this work just for a flippin MOT, already got to take my Carbon straight through's off!

Mine is just under the lights, above the numberplate if that's any help.

uridium said:
Cheers,

Just picked one up FOC from my local pushbike shop. Guess I'll just have to bolt it on under the plate somewhere.

All this work just for a flippin MOT, already got to take my Carbon straight through's off!

Feel sorry for my mate who didn't think :suicide:

So he bought a brand new Firestorm (not the SP1/2 version). Reads up about how its a simple job to remove the baffles and it sounds awesome.

Does the work - and it did sound like god farting... truley awesome.

A year later, went to sell it for the dealer to ask "Have you knocked the baffles out?" ... he lost 400 quid on his trade-in value as the dealer had to buy new original cans. At least that what he told him ;)

sean5302 said:
The link you need for all your MoT questions is:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm

I remember very well putting loud cans on several bikes over the years. Made me think I was going faster. No back-pressure so your engine breathes better.

Load of baloney though!

When I had the bikes dyno-tested they always produced more power when not radiating excess sound energy. Mr. Honda, spending millions, can do more for his bikes than Jack the lad, with hacksaw, in his shed.

That link is for class 3, 1V & V11 vehicles.
Motorcycles are at http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/mc_contents.htm

All MOT'ed. sailed through.:smashin:

Run my TL with Carbon oval Vance&Hines race pipes. After setting up on a dyno and getting the Fuel Injection setup with one of those Yoshi boxes it makes an extra 3bhp (and sounds like it was supposed to!)

some race cans do make a difference

My 2002 Yamaha R1 just failed it's MOT on both the front and back indicators. the front ones are large flush mounted, clear leans with amber bulbs and the back are normal motrax min indicators, again clear leans with amber bulbs.

the following reasons were given for the fail:

Front: the inspector said flush mount's were illegal and your indictors had to be viewable from the opposite side of the front of the bike (i.e.. he was standing to my far right and said he couldn't see my left indicator)

Rear: apparently my rear indicators were only 220mm's apart and they must be240mm's apart, so he failed me on a cm either side.

everything else on the bike was standard... the thing that really bugs me is a female friend of mine took her bike to the same test centre with a full race exhaust system marked 'not for road use' , a mini numberplate and tail tidy with no number plate light or reflector, all round mini indicators etc.. etc.. and they never battered an eyelid.. passed no problem.

I checked the like above and it only says the following:

"1. Operate the direction indicators on each side in turn and check the colour, flashing rate and intensity, (see information column),Check that the illumination of the indicators is not affected by the operation of any other lamp. (see information column)

2. Whilst operating the indicators see that the operation of each front indicator is readily visible from the riding position or that the 'tell tale' is operating correctly."

sean5302 said:
The link you need for all your MoT questions is:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm

I remember very well putting loud cans on several bikes over the years. Made me think I was going faster. No back-pressure so your engine breathes better.

Load of baloney though!

When I had the bikes dyno-tested they always produced more power when not radiating excess sound energy. Mr. Honda, spending millions, can do more for his bikes than Jack the lad, with hacksaw, in his shed.

Simply removed the asthmatic tube Suzuki stuck on my Bandid12 and went from 98 to 119hp in a breath, sounds a whole lot better too :)

i might be wrong:rolleyes:
but i don't think you need lights for an mot
(if you have them they must work)
remove all your lights and watch out for volvo drivers:D

signs said:
i might be wrong
but i don't think you need lights for an mot
(if you have them they must work)

Lights are required to be fitted and operational.

Well I never had any lights on my bike on the road and it passed the MOT fine :)

sean5302 said:
What sort of moped is it, then?
If it's a proper bike, the rules are clear:
Exemptions
For this test if a stop lamp is fitted, it must meet the requirements of this inspection, but need not be fitted to a machine which:

a. cannot exceed 25mph, or
b. was first used before 1 January I936.or
c. was first used before 1 April 1986 and which has an engine capacity of less than 50cc.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/mcmanual_130.htm

I can't believe that a tester would pass a proper bike which has no lights, as you quote. How would anyone behind you realise that you were braking?

Lights do not have to be fitted.
If you had read the manual you linked to you would have seen this,

This inspection applies to: all machines, except those which have neither front nor rear position lamps, or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are
. only used during daylight hours, and
. not used at times of seriously reduced visibility

The rider should use hand signals to indicate his intentions,
You should keep enough distance to stop from a vehicle, even if it has no brake lights, if you run into it it's your fault.

How hard can this be?
Well I'm not a legal person, nor do I have anything to do with Construction and use Regulations, up until my recent illness I was a mechanic and mot tester on bikes and cars, and a bike that had no lights fitted never had a brake light test.
I could be wrong or the mot law changed, if so then thanks for the infomation
and sorry for my comments, I only wanted to help and not cause an argument
But I still say look at the manual page you linked to, the first thing it says is
" This inspection applies to; all machines except those which have neither front nor rear position lamps"
As this is for the inspection of the brake lights, this to me means the brake light inspection does not apply.

I do not mind if you prove me wrong, I'm old enough to take it.

sean5302 said:
I mean you no harm.

That sounds so like Captain J.L Picard ;)

sean, ok I've looked at the testers manual 100's of times, you read it from left to right, if in the left column it gives a reason not to test then the other columns don't apply.
And as I've said before, the brake light test does not apply to machines with lights not fitted, it's there in black and white (or black and blue).

sean5302 said:
What sort of moped is it, then?
This moped:

14.jpg

I'm not up to date with all the laws and rules, but I had my bike on the road in this state with a full MOT. It was only used on the road occasionally though. It was also fully insured and declared in that state to the insurers without a problem too.

Does anyone know if it is a legal requirement to have a front mudguard fitted for the m.o.t.:lease:

dont think so.

An MOT is designed to ensure the bike is safe to ride, so obvious things like brakes etc work... with this in mind, i doubt (but could be wrong) that a mudgard is a requirement.

Having said that, does a quiet exhaust make you safe? :rolleyes:

An interesting old thread this....first time ive seen it.
Mudguards are not part of the MOT test for a motorbike. Look on it this way....the tester has no way of knowing if they were ever fitted as standard - trials bikes for example.

I havent clicked on any of the links to the official documents that were posted, but there definitely used to be a rule in operation that stated - a single seat motorbike(eg. race replica) does not require indicators by law, but if fitted, have to conform to all standard regulations

An interesting old thread this....first time ive seen it.
Mudguards are not part of the MOT test for a motorbike. Look on it this way....the tester has no way of knowing if they were ever fitted as standard - trials bikes for example.

I havent clicked on any of the links to the official documents that were posted, but there definitely used to be a rule in operation that stated - a single seat motorbike(eg. race replica) does not require indicators by law, but if fitted, have to conform to all standard regulations

A friend of mine who's an MOT tester told me that any bike from 1985 onwards has to have working indicators as all bikes since 1985 have had them fitted as standard.

Don't know how this applies to trials/crossers etc.. though that have been put on the road as i was suprised to find a friend who put a crosser on the road didn't even need to fit a brake light for it to pass an MOT :eek:

He had to add a Speedo and a horn and it passed some sort of daytime use/special use MOT.

Had something similar with my SP1 (2001 reg). It had sidelights that were removed and the indicators were moved into there place i.e. inside the headlights.

In effect, I had no sidelights .... who uses them anyway on a bike???

Did have it questioned once by an MOT tester who started muttering about this but couldn´t find a reason to fail it though. Mind you, this was the same tester that couldn´t figure out what those little clear plastic stickers were for over the headlights (it was an import) :rolleyes:

been looking through mot requirements about chainguards (and mudguards)..it says they must be securely fitted and must not foul the chain (or wheel) ....but it doesnt seem the say they are a legal requirement...can anybody confirm this....cheers all!!!!:devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom