Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mordaunt Short MS309W Sub problem

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by cookiehank, Apr 27, 2010.

1. cookiehank

cookiehank Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I'm using an MS309W sub as part of my home cinema set up. I've noticed when watching movies that the seems to be a slight rattling noise coming from the cone. I don't think its blown because its very subtle and sound from the sub is rich and loud.

Also, if I push against the outer rim of the cone on the front of the sub the noise goes away. Its almost as though the cone is ever so slightly loose.

I've tried very gently pushing the cone back wards when turned off and there is no scraping or anything which is why I don't think the speaker is broken.

Any ideas?
  2. Stinger69

Stinger69 Member

Ratings:
    +58
    It does sound as though the driver has become a little loose within the cabinet. If you can silence the rattle by holding down the outside rim of the driver, it doesn't sound like it's damaged.
    I've had my ms309w in bits before though, and rather annoyingly the driver does not appear to be fastened with screws or bolts. It seems as though there is a piece of wood glued around the outside of the driver, with no sign of a screw or bolt to tighten!
    I don't know what to suggest, but if it's out of warranty, you could have a look yourself.

Edit: Just thought, try tightening the screws that hold in the spiked feet.
    It sounds daft, but when these loosen off they can vibrate. Pushing the front of the sub as you are, may be enough to stop the feet rattling. Worth a try.

Andy.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  3. cookiehank

cookiehank Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Andy, i'll double check the spikes. I also might try to put a wedge f card between the front box and the seal aroung the driver, I reply later with an update.