Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monsters University - Audio issues?

Discussion in 'Blu-rays, DVDs & Streaming Services' started by nipbiplip, Nov 13, 2013.

1. nipbiplip

nipbiplip Active Member

Ratings:
    +477
    Hi

Just watching my freshly delivered copy of MU and the True HD audio keeps dropping out for a second from about half way through the film

Anyone else having this or do i need to start checking my equipment ?
  2. mikemag

mikemag Member

Ratings:
    +60
    I have the same issue with my copy, the only difference with mine is that the sound drops at different stages whenever i've played. Originally it was from the very start but the last time it started from about 5 minutes in.

Swapping to the Dolby 2.0 and letting my amp matrix a surround effect cures the problem, but obviously it's not a great solution.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. nipbiplip

nipbiplip Active Member

Ratings:
    +477
    I've emailed Disney to see if they're aware of this as it appears to be a mastering error

A quick google of this shows those in the states are reporting the same issue
  4. dts

dts Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Dont bitstream on your Blu-ray player go into your audio settings and select pcm and that should sort the problem out.It just means that the Blu-ray player is decoding the audio and not the amp,and you wont see the Dolby true HD logo on your amps display.Ive had this with a few Disney titles(brave,monsters inc 3d).
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. nipbiplip

nipbiplip Active Member

Ratings:
    +477
    Thanks. I've not had this on other Disney blus to be honest

If the disc has a HD audio track it should work correctly. We shouldn't have to administer a work around so that the audio doesn't drop out

If it's a mastering issue, Disney need to put up a replacement scheme ASAP
  6. dts

dts Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Yes i know what you mean,and it can be frustrating i also had a problem with Total recall(2011).It only seems to be Dolby true hd sountracks as ive never had an issue with Dts Hd master audio.Im using a sony bdps470 Blu-ray player.
  7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,438
    Its not technically a mastering issue, last year Dolby changed the way they encode their TrueHD 7.1 tracks which has caused issues on certain player/amps which can only be sorted by the manufacturers fixing the bug and releasing an update but this doesn't seem to have happened for most.

For the record this is the 4th Pixar title effected by dropouts but switching your player to output PCM instead of bitstream seems to fix it for most, not ideal I know but I can guarantee that is what Disney will end up suggesting anyway as its what Sony came out with when people were experiencing the dropouts on Total Recall.

Sure it would be nice if every disc worked in every player first time but we know this just isnt the case, pretty much all BDs start up with a warning saying this disc has been manufactured to the newest specifications and might not work on your player so we have to rely on the manufactures to keep their players up to date and sadly this just doesn't happen especially for older lines which they tend to stop supporting at all once their newer fancier unit is out.
  8. philbam

philbam Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Thank you everyone for your postings - assumed it was my Oppo playing up with audio dropouts so played on my Panasonic player instead which was OK. Quite relieved to know my player is fine and that there is a fix for the problem. Never had any problem with any Disney blu ray's before and have virtually got them all.
  9. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,438
    It seems to only effect titles that have TrueHD audio (Pixar titles / Disney use DTS-HD for their classic range) and use seamless branching, this is the reply someone received from Oppo...

10. nipbiplip

nipbiplip Active Member

Ratings:
    +477
    I'm using an LG BDP-420.

Knowing LG's customer support, it would be a waste of typing to ask them about a f/w update for this issue
  11. AgentCool

AgentCool Active Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Same issue on my Oppo BDP-83 as well. Brave and the US release of Finding Nemo were problematic too.

Switching to PCM solves it. If only they had just stuck with DTS-HD MA!
  12. 88mph

88mph Member

Ratings:
    +14
    PCM downmixes it thought right? So doesn't really solve it.
  13. nipbiplip

nipbiplip Active Member

Ratings:
    +477
    Not sure if it down mixes it (could be wrong, like), but absolutely it doesn't solve it and is my point entirely

A workaround shouldn't be the answer
  14. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,438
    With your player set to bitstream it will send the audio to your amp and let it decode it, with the player set to PCM it will decode it instead so the amp doesn't need to, this will for most fix the lip-sync/drop outs issue and the quality shouldn't be effected, it is still lossless audio.
  15. Sebastalona

Sebastalona Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,554
    Yes, I have experienced the audio drop outs tonight on both 3D and 2D blu ray discs. Very annoying, and they did not occur at the same points throughout the first 30 minutes I tolerated it before switching off.

Straight back to Tesco tomorrow, house full of disappointed kids.
  16. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,438
    Did you try the workaround mentioned above?
  17. Sebastalona

Ratings:
    +5,554
    Well no as I have 8 kids from the street in for a movie night. I've just put another film on for the time being, but I will check later tonight. Although I agree with what has already been written, I don't want to or should have to check for workarounds to play a movie.
  18. nipbiplip

nipbiplip Active Member

Ratings:
    +477
    I've checked my other Disney blues which have True HD audio tracks and they play with no issue.

On my set up, the problem is solely with MU
  19. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,438
    I never had any issues with Brave or Finding Nemo either but suffered 3 dropouts while watching Monsters University which caused lip-sync issues however I have seen reports of others having dropouts ever 30 seconds which indicates its a player incompatibility issue which isn't anything new, a lot of people had trouble playing the Alien Anthology, Star Wars Saga, Avatar and numerous other titles but as time went on the manufacturers fixed these issues with firmware updates and now those problem discs play just like any other.

I am not trying to defend Disney but problem discs which don't actually have anything wrong with them have happened many times before and you can bet this won't be the last time.
  20. 88mph

88mph Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Yes I went off to read about Linear PCM vs Bitstream and if you're using HDMI for audio then you are alright. The player will decode the track to PCM before sending to your receiver maintaining the multi channel lossless sound. It's only if you're using optical which can only transmit up to 2 channels of PCM data where it is downmixed.

Still I think these types of problems should not exist and the manufacturers should fix and reissue the discs. Playing movies should not need to rely on constant firmware upgrades, especially since some players don't get any updates at all!
  21. antsims

antsims Active Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I have just finished watching my 3d copy and thought there was an issue with my set up. I had 3 drops and then went out of synch. I had to choose dvd then back to blu ray inputs and it corrected it. No point sending it back now then I will try the workaround next time. Thanks all
  22. Sebastalona

Ratings:
    +5,554
    Thanks for the tip about letting the blu ray player doing the decoding. I'm letting it play through in the background and 30 minutes in I've not heard any drop-outs. Hopefully I won't need to take it back to Tesco today.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,438
    If you are only using optical then lossless audio is impossible anyway as it will just playback the core DTS or DD track if set to bitstream and neither of these suffer from dropouts anyway.

Having everything work first time would be my preference too but DVD had similar issues (had to take my Samsung 709 to Dixons to have a chip fitted so it could play The Matrix) so I don't expect things to change with BD, they will keep trying to push the format and this will cause trouble for some players, my LG doesn't like the way Sony have started mastering their releases and results in the screen going black quite regularly but the same disc works just fine on my PC and PS3.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  24. Sebastalona

Ratings:
    +5,554
    Watched with the kids earlier, and the entire film played back perfectly, letting the player do the decoding.

Thanks again for the tip guys!
  25. Simian Sibling

Simian Sibling Active Member

Ratings:
    +468
    No problem here. Played faultless. Will list my settings/player/amp if it helps?
  26. IndianaBlues

IndianaBlues Member

Ratings:
    +141
    Is this just on 2D, or on 3D too?
  27. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,438
    Both as they have the same 7.1 TrueHD track.
  28. IndianaBlues

IndianaBlues Member

Ratings:
    +141
    Thanks Indy.

As an aside, it's been mentioned on the Disney Movie Rewards thread in the Bargains section, but for wider exposure they initially listed the MU blu and 3D blu as being higher points values than was intended (3D was 450, not sure about 2D). If you email DMR they'll add the extra points to your account :)
  29. 88mph

88mph Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Does the US version have the same problem too?
  30. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,438
    Yes it does.