Monitor Audio RX6 AV12 or RX8 AV12 Package?

Hi,

Having read the whole thread, i am nearly there!!

I have a 5m x 5m dedicated cinema room and require a speaker setup to work with my Onkyo TR-808 AMP on a 5.1 setup. I shall use the setup for 90% movies and I would like the deep thumping bass for heavy movie effects. From what I have read here, it seems that the RX8's would probably be best as part of the AV package, but i am not sure about the sub. Should is stick with the MA sub or change it to a more powerful one like the BK Monolith?

My room dimensions are pretty similar to yours and my BK Monolith does a great job, it really is a beast! I did try the MA sub but wasnt that impressed with it and it was more expensive that the Monolith which in my eyes is a more superior product. You cant go wrong with either but the Monolith ticks more boxes in my opinion.

Thanks Asifakhtar, can you tell me about the rest of your speaker setup please?

I am now thinking:

MA RX 8 Floor Standers
MA RXFX Dipole Rears
MA RX Centre (but possibly the GSLCR) if this works????

BK Monolith +

Thanks Asifakhtar, can you tell me about the rest of your speaker setup please?

I am now thinking:

MA RX 8 Floor Standers
MA RXFX Dipole Rears
MA RX Centre (but possibly the GSLCR) if this works????

BK Monolith +

I have a Yamaha Z7 amp driving RX8 fronts, RX centre and i am using Mission floorstanders as rears (cinema series 7 i think, pretty old now but very powerful and fine for the rears if a little overkill) with a BK Monolith sub.

Your proposed set up will sound great, just make sure you match it with an amp that will really drive your speakers.

To all fans of MA RX8's, I have a room approx 4m x 4m, using at present receiver pioneer lx 81. This will be my first loudspeaker system c/o bose sub-sat i'm using at present. I had a demo a days ago, WOW. amazing. However, originally we had the rx8's about 40cm away from wall.They sounded open and clean. When we placed them back against the wall, BOOM. You could feel the extra bass. This demo was for hifi setup and not a complete 5.1 setup. I intend to get a sub,possibly velodyne micro vee for a 5.1 setup.

1) Will I be able to reduce this BOOM using my receiver, i.e crossover 80hz, reduced bass volume etc?. I'm not worried about paying more for the RX8's over the RX6's, to get the better dialogue sound / improve special effects / improve spatial awareness.

2) What are the rx8's like at nightime use on low volume, i.e kid are asleep, are they just as good and clear on low volume c/o to when you listen to them louder?

3) I'd loved the glossy white and surprised nobody in this thread has mentioned it. Anybody out there seen them and what do you think?.

Not placed an order just yet, waiting for feedback from you all. Is this going to be a marriage from HELL?.

Hi Don

Try putting the sponge's supplied into the holes at the rear of the speakers.

If you have them up against the wall you will probably have to use the port bungs otherwise YOU WILL get bass boom. Try keep em at least 30cm from the wall if you can. As for low volune they perform just as well. (Based on my experience with the RX1's) However I an also using a Paradigm DSP 3400 Sub

Might be a silly question, when you buy the entire 5.1 kit, do the speakers cables and port bungs come with it?

Might be a silly question, when you buy the entire 5.1 kit, do the speakers cables and port bungs come with it?

The Port Bungs do :)

Port bungs absaloodle yes. As for cables dont waste your money on fancy (Snake Oil) cables. For any run of say 10-15 meters any good quality 2.5-4mm 2 core cable will do just as well.

Will the port bungs affect the performance of the speaker? I know the bass will be reduced, but anything else affected?

Not for me they didn't, just stopped them booming. They sound nice and crisp & tight now.

To bobbymax, I believe you have the RX6's, did you consider the larger RX8's? What made you go for the RX'6s.

3) I'd loved the glossy white and surprised nobody in this thread has mentioned it. Anybody out there seen them and what do you think?
They look lovely and very stylish, especially with the magnetic speaker grills (no black peg holes to mar the glossy white surface). More speaker companies should use this method.

I demo'd the RX6 & RX8 in a 5.1 & 2.0 setup. I thought the RX8 had a better balanced and fuller sound than the RX6, plus the RX8 weren't that much bigger than the seemingly tiny sixes.

after the RX8s I had a listen to the B&W 684 and HTM62 (or HTM61) centre. The surrounds & sub stayed the same. For the brief time I had with them showed a very good sound field across the front three speakers, though not as bright as the MAs. They sounded better than the RX6, but not the RX8s.

I've also auditioned a new Kef Q series 5.1 setup with Q500 fronts, Q200C, Q800ds dipoles and a Q400b sub in English Cherry.
They shop said the speakers had only been in the last a day or so and I though they still needed time to run in. For the music tracks, the treble sounded slightly brittle (though it was started at a rather too loud level, so I asked for it to be turned down) and there didn't seem to be much seperation between instruments or that much of a wide soundstage (which you would expect from a blu-ray audio release). With a Blu-Ray film, again the sound was harsh rather than full. The surrounds weren't in the best place for the enveloping action, I had to lean back in the sofa to get the balance and ended up standing behind the sofa to watch the fighting (Transformers 2). None of it seemed to gel properly.

The RX series are, IMO, very good speakers and you'd be very pleased with buying them.

Last edited:
Hi Don

I did look at both the 8's & 6's but IMO the RX6 packaged with the sub was/is more than adequate for me as my room size is not overly large. The two front 6's pleasantly surprised me with the quality of bass for stereo only, but with the RX12 sub it sounds superb to my ears when watching movies.And TBO I play my music with the sub anyway.
I guess the RX8's would be an improvement with a larger room tho (Most guys on the forums have this opinion).
Hope that helps.

And remember, the better the amp you'll be using the better they will sound (sorry about your wallet and all that).

And remember, the better the amp you'll be using the better they will sound (sorry about your wallet and all that).

Yeah I sulked for a week lol.
Soon forgot that when I put a movie on though. :D

Hi Don

I did look at both the 8's & 6's but IMO the RX6 packaged with the sub was/is more than adequate for me as my room size is not overly large. The two front 6's pleasantly surprised me with the quality of bass for stereo only, but with the RX12 sub it sounds superb to my ears when watching movies.And TBO I play my music with the sub anyway.
I guess the RX8's would be an improvement with a larger room tho (Most guys on the forums have this opinion).
Hope that helps.

Forgot to mention the cash savings on the 6's were a factor too. :)

Mid last year bought the RX8 AV12 package. Have been reasonably happy with it. Love the RX8's and like the rest - but have had a love/hate relationship with the RXW-12 sub though.

Anyway - does anyone know what the official Monitor Audio logo is for the RX Silver series actually is? Is there one at all?

The Monitor Audio logo is relatively fixed with only a couple of alternatives - but they seem to have a different Silver RX logo everywhere you look.

Who at Monitor Audio agreed to the words: "DESIGN FOR SOUND"? Just seems wrong... "DESIGNED FOR SOUND" sounds better.

I'm wanting to get some protective cloth covers made for my RX8's and was wanting the RX logo (if there actually is one) embroidered on the side.

But I'm having trouble trying to work out if there is an "official" Silver RX logo.

Anyone have any ideas?

I like the idea of the silver rx8's, however in a room of 4m by 4m I know there will be excessive bass, which can be rectified using port bungs. To Heady how did you solve the RXW-12 sub problem? What problem did you have? I've been recommended to go for a valondyne microvee sub, Anyone know much about this sub?.

I like the idea of the silver rx8's, however in a room of 4m by 4m I know there will be excessive bass, which can be rectified using port bungs. To Heady how did you solve the RXW-12 sub problem? What problem did you have? I've been recommended to go for a valondyne microvee sub, Anyone know much about this sub?.
I'm pretty sure my RX8's are in a room not much bigger and they are fine. The RX8's are about ~20cm from the wall but next to a fireplace mantle which doesn't help. There is definitely a tinge of accented bass if using pure direct on the Yamaha Z7 but I didn't like using the bungs. I put a towel over the top of the RX8's to avoid scratches when mounting a large LCD screen and accidentally found that it was a good compromise between bungs and no bungs when using pure direct. I have no problem at all when using the Yamaha corrected settings. I also found that bi-amping did reduce the accented bass a bit too. My test tracks are some nice pipe organ music - if it sounds more or less like it would if I was there then that is good enough for me.

Regarding the RXW-12 - I initially thought that it was life-less (The RX8's seem to do a better job than the RXW-12). I then tweaked it a bit and had the neighbors knocking on the front door. After a bit of experimentation I was able to reign it in by using an Antimode and by adding more weight to the top of the sub to anchor it to the floor. It is definitely better but I'm still not 100% happy. The problem is that at lowish volumes it is life-less but it kicks when pushed. It also seems to fall off very fast.

If I had my time again - for the ~£700 of the RXW-12 I would have tried two BK XXLS400 for slightly more. I'm still sixes-n-sevens over whether I should try to see if two BK XXLS400's are better at low volumes for pushing air without causing the other problems.

Also hated the MA Sub returned it and bought a Paradigm DSP3400 it is a monster both in sound and size see Picture

Attachments

• No Grill.jpg
    No Grill.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 5,583
Wow, that's almost too big!*

*is that possible with subs?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom