Monitor Audio RX6 AV12 or RX8 AV12 Package?

Most of my AV kit is Piano black and although I love it I decided Walnut would break it up a bit. Wood always has a classic look IMO, but no matter what you choose they all are superbly finished. :smashin:

Most of my AV kit is Piano black and although I love it I decided Walnut would break it up a bit. Wood always has a classic look IMO, but no matter what you choose they all are superbly finished. :smashin:

I think rosenut is nice for RX6, but I was not convinced about it when I saw its bigger brother in that color. My girlfriend is pressing me for rosenut (which I like too), I prefer a bit more walnut (being conservative myself). Well, I have to admit that I quite enjoy these moments of decision-making / I am sure that its part of the deal :thumbsup:. So far its 50:50.

I also have mainly black kit and decided Walnut was the best option in my room too. I've never regretted the colour choice and think the finish is excellent.

Walnut is the way forward...

Also much less dust issues than piano black I rarely clean mine :smashin:
They also match my brown leather sofas and the wife likes em.

017.jpg

I've had the pleasure of sampling all the RS range of speakers at home, both with and without a sub, (the RSW12).

I came to the conclusion that a sub wasn't needed with the RS8, (for music or movies).

The RS6, with a sub, equalled the performance of the RS8 as standalones.

The RS5 + sub, was a little light.

If you want HUGE bass trembling moments, then go for the 8 + sub OR if you have a very large open space room to fill.

Is this walnut or rosenut? Walnut in RX series is bit darker imo.

Get in the hole has walnut according to his post although he is lucky enough to have the golds rather than the silvers. However, the finish looks very similar in colour as his RS-W12 sub matches fine.

Here's a couple of pics of my walnut silvers :hiya:

RS6-AVWalnut.jpg

RS6Walnut.jpg

RS-LCRWalnut.jpg

Last edited:
There is a very slight difference in finish between the two walnut finishes on RS and GS speakers.

However to the average joe viewing my screen they all look like the same package ;)

Wife thought they were all RS when I bought em :smashin:

I have to admit that I undergo a serious crisis in my decision-making in last two days. Being split between walnut and rosent finishes, I started to think about upgrading my budget a bit and go for piano black.

Do you have any experience with black gloss finish? Is it difficult to take care of it? I would assume that all fingerprints and dust must be seen on it. Is there any special wipe for that?

As someone who has a large 24 unit black gloss kitchen I would not reccomend it.

I asked a lot of people about piano black and walnut on my GS20s and opted for walnut. Walnut requires no cleaning whatsoever, black on the other hand shows everything I am sure some owners on here will verify this for you.

Walnut in RX series is bit darker imo.

Rosenut is nice colour, however I am afraid that there will be too much red in the room (if I count rear speakers, centre and sub) and after some time I might get tired of its "visibility".

Will be happy to hear from gloss owners.

I looked at the black gloss and they do look superb, but the sales guy said they were forever cleaning them.I guess that's pretty normal in a shop though. So I guess if you have a flock of kids etc they may need regular cleaning :D

I looked at the black gloss and they do look superb, but the sales guy said they were forever cleaning them.I guess that's pretty normal in a shop though. So I guess if you have a flock of kids etc they may need regular cleaning :D

Having myself no experience with gloss color I would be afraid that after some years the gloss could loose its shiny bright. Maybe I am wrong.

Having myself no experience with gloss color I would be afraid that after some years the gloss could loose its shiny bright. Maybe I am wrong.

Most reputable manufacturers use around 6-8 layers of lacquer, so avoiding direct sunlight and making sure they are looked after should yield many years of shiny shiny. Don't use any furniture polish, a lint free duster should be enough to keep the dust at bay, although anything in gloss black is a magnet for the stuff.

Most reputable manufacturers use around 6-8 layers of lacquer, so avoiding direct sunlight and making sure they are looked after should yield many years of shiny shiny. Don't use any furniture polish, a lint free duster should be enough to keep the dust at bay, although anything in gloss black is a magnet for the stuff.

I am asking this in other thread, but what is difference between black gloss and piano black (difference between silver and gold series?).

I am asking this in other thread, but what is difference between black gloss and piano black (difference between silver and gold series?).

I'd imagine they are exactly the same finish, just worded differently.

The gloss black/piano black finish doesn't look any different to a pair of RS5's I've seen in gloss black.

Hi, i am quite new to this but just needed some advice as i am facing one of the hardest descisions i have had to face.

I have recently upgraded my amp from a sony str-da 3300es to the denon avr 2310. I had some pretty old B&W 601,602,603 and cc6 center used with my sony reciever.

The missus has let me upgrade the whole system but cant decide which speakers to go for.
I have made my mind up to definately go for The RX range but i am having trouble deciding which.

I have got A BK xls300/pr subwoofer and the rx center already. This is where i am having trouble. I was looking at having the rx8 for fronts and rears (so two pairs) but as i have read i imagine it will be a massive overkill for the size of the room (3x5 meters.)

So now do i go for Two pairs of rx6's for both front and rear or do i go for rx8's at the front and rx2's at the back (i have yet to demo the rx2's yet but i have read good thing.)

I wiuld say i am more into films than music. Probably 60% to 40%.

Anyway sorry about the length of the post but i just need some inspiration as to which direction i should go.

I can only speak of the RS series, had 6's and upgraded to RS8's only cuz they were going so cheap a few months ago.

Have an BK XLS 200 currently paired with the RS8's crossed over at 60Hz. After countless listening tests, for music, the 8's offer superb low end, in some ways I dont really need the sub. But as I like very high spl levels, the sub takes a bit of load off the 8's and provide that little bit more depth and slam at the low end.

So, in that respect, I believe you would get by with the RS6's,however I would question whether you would need another pair for your surrounds. Currently have BRSFX wired in di-pole mode and they provide great depth and a spatial feeling for films.

hi, thanks for the quick response.

I think maybe the RX8's will be a bit of an overkill in the room and i dont really like the fact they run at 4 ohms really. I know the denon will be fine with it but i dont really want to risk it.

what did you mean by have the sub and the rs8's crossevere'd at 60hz? Is that when the sub will kick in or the sub will take more of the load?? Sorry if that is a lame question but i am rather new to the home cinema stuff.

i am swaying towards either the rx6's both front and rear or rx6 at the front and stand mounted rx2's at the back.

Any idea wether that would be alright or lack the depth from the floor standers at the back?

Thanks

Hi, i am quite new to this but just needed some advice as i am facing one of the hardest descisions i have had to face.

I have recently upgraded my amp from a sony str-da 3300es to the denon avr 2310. I had some pretty old B&W 601,602,603 and cc6 center used with my sony reciever.

The missus has let me upgrade the whole system but cant decide which speakers to go for.
I have made my mind up to definately go for The RX range but i am having trouble deciding which.

I have got A BK xls300/pr subwoofer and the rx center already. This is where i am having trouble. I was looking at having the rx8 for fronts and rears (so two pairs) but as i have read i imagine it will be a massive overkill for the size of the room (3x5 meters.)

So now do i go for Two pairs of rx6's for both front and rear or do i go for rx8's at the front and rx2's at the back (i have yet to demo the rx2's yet but i have read good thing.)

I wiuld say i am more into films than music. Probably 60% to 40%.

Anyway sorry about the length of the post but i just need some inspiration as to which direction i should go.

Go for the 6's with a sub they'll be great in your room size, (roughly same size as mine) I would go with the RXFX dipoles too

hi, thanks for the quick response.

I think maybe the RX8's will be a bit of an overkill in the room and i dont really like the fact they run at 4 ohms really. I know the denon will be fine with it but i dont really want to risk it.

what did you mean by have the sub and the rs8's crossevere'd at 60hz? Is that when the sub will kick in or the sub will take more of the load?? Sorry if that is a lame question but i am rather new to the home cinema stuff.

i am swaying towards either the rx6's both front and rear or rx6 at the front and stand mounted rx2's at the back.

Any idea wether that would be alright or lack the depth from the floor standers at the back?

Thanks

Crossover: The standard recommended crossover point if the fronts go low enough tends to be 80Hz. So all frequencys below that go the sub, above that all goes to the speakers. With small speakers you might have to raise it. In my case, using my ears, I preferred the lower crossover, as the RS8's are well able to reproduce low end. With the sub taking the low end, there is less power needed from your AVR, which will give you more headroom and help avoid clipping.

Surround Speakers: I suggest you do some searching, I dont have any links to hand, but in 5:1 systems, most recommend the speakers to be on the side walls, a bit above ear level, not behind you per se. If it is a dipole speaker, the sound diffuses and reflects off the side walls to give that spatial feeling. If you put your ear right up to a di-pole it will sound strange and sound out of phase. With std speakers, you will get a more direct radiated sound, but may lose some of the spatial feeling. Hopefully the dealer will let you demo, because at the end of the day, there is no real right or wrong, its what your ears like and prefer!

Floorstanders or stand mounts don't work so well for rear speakers. My first system had floorstanders and I got a great improvement in surround sound when I changed them to wall mounts that could be placed in the recomended position which is 2 or 3 feet above head height just behind the listening position on the side walls.

I'm sold on RX8s, and plan to use them for music only. Inputs will be iPOD and CD player. Advice on a proper AVR pairing would be hugely appreciated!

Many thanks on advance!

I have been to my local Hifi shop and had a demo on the rx6's and the rx2's. I was absolutly amazed by the sound that came out of the rx2's. I would honestly say that they srent too far off the bass output of the rx6's (due to the 8" driver and cabinet size) I am sold on both.
This is my setup

Sony KDL46V5800 (POSSIBLY MOUNTING TO THE WALL, HAVEN'T YET DECIDED)
DENON AVR-2310
SONY PLAYSTATION 3
NINTENDO WII
SAMSUNG NR522 LAPTOP (VIA HDMI IN ON DENON RECEIVER)
SKY HD
ALPHASON AUR1100-B STAND

MONITOR AUDIO RX6'S (FRONT)
MONITOR AUDIO RX CENTER
MONITOR AUDIO RX2'S (REAR WITH SOUNDSTYLE Z2 STANDS (KILN DRIED SAND OR ATACAMA ATABITES))
BK XLS300/PR

With the ouput from the xls300/pr i decided to opt for the rx6's over the rx8's. for the size of the room i am using everything in is just too small to accomodate the rx8's.

If you haven't listened to the rx2's yet just give them a listen before you make your mind up 100% as they wont dissapoint (unless you have got you heart set on the rx8's already)

I have been to my local Hifi shop and had a demo on the rx6's and the rx2's. I was absolutly amazed by the sound that came out of the rx2's.

You're not wrong about the RX2. They've got more base than most of the floorstanders I've previously owned. I went to the HiFi shop yesterday to buy an amp and was surprised at how skinny the RX6/8 looked. I mentioned this to the shop assistant and he said something about a design change and pointed behind me and there was a pair of RX2 which looked more like a proper speaker to me ;).

I've got my RX2 sitting on a pair of xxls400 subs with some isolation in between. The subs handle the lowest frequencies and are room corrected. I'm sure this setup will destroy any RX6/8 setup :cool:.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom