Monitor Audio RX6 AV12 or RX8 AV12 Package?

Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:

I wanna invest in an MA speaker package and was not sure if Pioneer's amps will do fine. The SC-LX would visually fit very nicely to my existing equipment 51fd bd player and 600A tv. Still considering Yamaha amps as well, as i have read several reviews about perfect match to MA speakers.

You'll probably find that most of those reviews (if tey're older) deal with the RS range as opposed to RX.
New reviews state the Pio's are good with the MA RX speakers.

Also I demoed the sclx 52 which was very good with the rx's if you want to save a bit of cash.:thumbsup:

Hey guys. I had a demo of both the RX6 and the RX8s and i went for the RX8s in the end as i found a huge difference between the speakers, i thought the RX8s were on another level. I've ordered them in piano black and they should arrive this week.

With regards to amps, i went for the Yamaha Z7 in the end. I tried a few different amps but the Z7 was the best matched unless I wanted to spend another £500 or so.

The system sounds awesome though!!

I am considering purchase of the monitor audio rx line set up 5.1. My preference is 40% music, 30% movies, 30% TV. I have auditioned RX6 and RX8 speakers in stereo mode and I liked RX8 slightly better. However I would like to ask what is your experience with these speakers in the home cinema set up? Any advice? Is RX6 better for home cinema?

do yourself a favour and get the RS8's on massive discount (look on ebay). there are still some around. RS-LCR's and RS-FX's are also available. I auditioned the RX6 with some movies: not a significant difference to my RS8's, but at a much higher cost.

Personally I found a big difference between the RX6 and the RX8s but maybe its just me. I have had the RX8s at home for a few months now and they are an impressive set of speakers. I would go for the RX8s every time over the RX6 but I can't comment on the RS range as I've not listened to them.

Personally I found a big difference between the RX6 and the RX8s but maybe its just me. I have had the RX8s at home for a few months now and they are an impressive set of speakers. I would go for the RX8s every time over the RX6 but I can't comment on the RS range as I've not listened to them.

But do you use them also in 5,1 set up? For stereo mode I have no doubt, but I am concerned about the home cinema. Sorry for this lame question. Is extra bass better for the home cinma?

Last edited:
But do you use them also in 5,1 set up? For stereo mode I have no doubt, but I am concerned about the home cinema. Sorry for this lame question. Is extra bass better for the home cinma?

I don't doubt asifakhtar's statement re the RX8's, but IMHO I don't think there's much between them using 5.1.
I demoed the RX8's & 6's with the RXW12 an RX/Fx's and decided the extra cash for the RX8's just doesn't warrant it. I get all the bass I want for movies AND music. :smashin:
The Rx8's are great on there own though.

I use my speakers in a 5.1 home cinema set up. I auditioned the RX6 and RX8s in a home cinema environment and I just felt that I got more depth and deeper base with the RX8s. I use a BK Monolith subwoofer and I get an awesome system performance. Personally I was a little disappointed with the RX6 having read all the rave reviews, I actually thought the B&W 685s were slightly better than them IMHO. I guess you just need to demo both systems and let your ears decide for you!

I agree, your own ears (and cash:D) dictate the end results. Horses for courses as they say.

I just felt I'd rather spend the difference in cash on a BD player, as Bass is very adequately supplied by the RXW12 IMO:)

For me, the RX8's didn't justify the extra cash, I didn't really notice any improvement except for bass, which was just too much for a room the size of mine. I'd of thought your sub would easily make up the extra bottom-end if you feel you need it! :)

As a MA dealer, I would agree with the above post, the difference between the RX8 and RX6 is really bass, and therefore if you are going to have a sub, or plan to buy one in the future, then what the RX6's lack in bass compared to the RX8's will be more than made up for by a subwoofer.

If you do not plan on having a sub, well then it's down to :-
a) whether you think the extra bass that the RX8's give you is worth the extra money,
b) whether you can live with the extra height/size of the RX8's and
c) whether you think the RX6's bass is actually not as low as you would like!

I listened to the RX6 and the RX8s with the same subwoofer and I felt a significant difference in the sound. Maybe i just have over sensitive ears?!!

I agree there was a SLIGHT difference to my ears when I demoed both, but as Filbert pointed out in b) I felt it did not warrant the extra cash.

It depends on the receiver used. The RX8's show what they are capable of when used with a quality receiver such as the Yamaha Z7. As well as more bass weight they will have more clarity in the mid-range benefiting from the cabinet size and structure.

They are definately an improvement over the RX6's and worth the money in the right environment and with the right receiver.

As a MA dealer, I would agree with the above post, the difference between the RX8 and RX6 is really bass, and therefore if you are going to have a sub, or plan to buy one in the future, then what the RX6's lack in bass compared to the RX8's will be more than made up for by a subwoofer.

If you do not plan on having a sub, well then it's down to :-
a) whether you think the extra bass that the RX8's give you is worth the extra money,
b) whether you can live with the extra height/size of the RX8's and
c) whether you think the RX6's bass is actually not as low as you would like!

Obviously if I go only for home cinema set up, than RX6 with sub is great enough. But I want also good stereo. When auditioning in stereo mode, RX8 was bit more clearer and warmer - so there is no doubt. What I was concerned was how would these speakers (RX8) perform in 5.1 set up. Price difference is not critical (I will spend (blow) lot of money anyway). Neither size (not that much bigger).

It depends on the receiver used. The RX8's show what they are capable of when used with a quality receiver such as the Yamaha Z7. As well as more bass weight they will have more clarity in the mid-range benefiting from the cabinet size and structure.

They are definately an improvement over the RX6's and worth the money in the right environment and with the right receiver.

I am opting for Denon 3310, what do you think about paring RX8 with this receiver?

Last edited:
Based on what you have said then, go for the RX8's. They are the better speaker, and the size/price isn't an issue. Most of our customer's who have bought the RX's have paired them with Denon AVR's so I think the MA RX set up with a Denon AVR-3310 will be a cracking set up.

If you are in/near NW London, and want me to quote you on the package, drop me a PM.

Obviously if I go only for home cinema set up, than RX6 with sub is great enough. But I want also good stereo. When auditioning in stereo mode, RX8 was bit more clearer and warmer - so there is no doubt. What I was concerned was how would these speakers (RX8) perform in 5.1 set up. Price difference is not critical (I will spend (blow) lot of money anyway). Neither size (not that much bigger).

I am opting for Denon 3310, what do you think about paring RX8 with this receiver?

I'd look at the Yamaha RX-V3900 instead. That would be my preference as a minimum although if you can look at the Yamaha DSP-Z7 as well to really get the benefit out of the speakers.

I'd look at the Yamaha RX-V3900 instead. That would be my preference as a minimum although if you can look at the Yamaha DSP-Z7 as well to really get the benefit out of the speakers.

Am thinking of purchasing the RX8's as well with music being an important concern. I have always been a fan of Marantz amplifiers due to their muscial performance. Therefore how would a Marantz SR6004 compare with the above mentioned amps.

Many thanks

Am thinking of purchasing the RX8's as well with music being an important concern. I have always been a fan of Marantz amplifiers due to their muscial performance. Therefore how would a Marantz SR6004 compare with the above mentioned amps.

Many thanks

The first time we heard RX8's at the shop was with the SR6004, it works extremely well. It's very musical for a home cinema amp. You'd be very happy if you went for that combination.

3900 was my first choice, but its quite difficult to find a reasonable dealer in Belgium. The prices they ask here are unbelievable comparing for what I would get abroad.

Based on what you have said then, go for the RX8's. They are the better speaker, and the size/price isn't an issue. Most of our customer's who have bought the RX's have paired them with Denon AVR's so I think the MA RX set up with a Denon AVR-3310 will be a cracking set up.

If you are in/near NW London, and want me to quote you on the package, drop me a PM.

What is the proportion of people buying RX8/RX6 speakers? Do you have any rough idea?

Last edited:
I have always been a fan of Marantz amplifiers due to their muscial performance. Therefore how would a Marantz SR6004 compare with the above mentioned amps.
Just be aware of the issue with the Marantz 6004 in that it can't decode HD bitstreamed audio AND run Audessy Dynamic EQ at the same time. If you get the blueray player to decode the HD audio and send it as LPCM, then it is fine and you can run the Audessy Dynamic EQ. One Sony player, the S550 has an issue, in that it can't send one of the HD codecs as LPCM if the amp can decode bitstreamsed HD audio. I don't know if other players have the same issue.

I made a trip to Antwerps and passed by an audio shop today. The seller told me that around 80 percent of customers buying monitor audio rx range for home cinema set up opt for the RX8 front speakers. Could this be true? (In Belgium, you never know :cool:).

And now the most important choice: rosenut or walnut?

I made a trip to Antwerps and passed by an audio shop today. The seller told me that around 80 percent of customers buying monitor audio rx range for home cinema set up opt for the RX8 front speakers. Could this be true? (In Belgium, you never know :cool:).

And now the most important choice: rosenut or walnut?

Majority of people with us go for the RX6 package (probably 60:40), more due to budget constraints, as the RX8 is the better speaker. Also depends on your room constraints as well.

Personally I prefer walnut to rosenut. Historically with RS walnut was the second most popular colour after Black.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom