1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio Platinum Series - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dankeech, Jan 5, 2007.

1. dean999

dean999 Member

Ratings:
    +122
    hi

i have had my pl300s for 6 months now and they have continued to be a source of audio heaven. they appear to have improved over the journey, (i have passed the 500 hours mark) -they are exceptoinally clear, detailed,sweet etc. the best speaker purchase i ever made.i am still stunned at the detailed real info that comes out wether it is music or movies.

i hope all the other owners are enjoying theirs too.

all the best
    dean
  2. VoodooDoctor

VoodooDoctor Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Has anyone heard the PL200's yet? I'd be interested in any thoughts and experiences.
  3. indus

indus Active Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I've ordered the PL300 and the PLC150 centre today, they arrive on saturday. I can't wait.....:devil:

Many thanks to Dean999 for his help

I hope my wife never finds out how much money I've just spent:(
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  4. dean999

dean999 Member

Ratings:
    +122
    hi indus

welcome to the platinum club.there seem to be so few of us.

always happy to help.

look forward to your posts.

regards
    dean
  5. dean999

dean999 Member

Ratings:
    +122

hi voodoodoc

have you demoed any of the platinum range yet?

take care
    dean
  6. dean999

dean999 Member

Ratings:
    +122
    if she doesn't ask dont tell her.
    if she asks -lie:devil:

in all seriousness once the dust settles , occasionally remind her of how good & realistic it sounds, it works over a period of time.
  7. indus

indus Active Member

Ratings:
    +112
    First off, the PL300 is HUGE, and the finish is gorgeous, its like a sculpture.

Initially I had issues with the bass, but I've pulled the speakers 0.5m from the wall (the minimum MA recommends) and that has transformed things. Bass is now controlled and hefty, sounds like a sub. It could still be a tad better, but I can't pull the speaker any further out, so if it doesn't get better with break in or better amp then I'll consider the bass traps Dean suggested elsewhere.

The midrange is to die for, as is the imaging and authority.

A quick word about the PLC150, this is a HUGE step up from my gold centre. It's no subtle change, its a lot better.

Very happy, need more time to play to get the best out of these.:thumbsup:
  8. drillo

drillo Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys,

Im finalising my speaker decision and had decided on the gold 60's or 20's after vascillating between then and the B&W cm9's and deciding to go with Monitor Audio. As i figured this is my purchase for the next 20 yrs - i started wondering about going for broke (literally) and getting the pl200's.

Yesterday i auditioned them and was underwhelmed. The shop reckons they have only had a 3-4 days running in and that could have something to do with it but i found it hard to believe they could improve THAT much with more running?

There is a lot of people saying less is more with these but maybe its just i dont get along with them - after loving the golds, i just epected to be blown away and was anything but.

It did trouble me that the GS60's supposedly goto 28hz and the 20's go to 32hz and yet the pl200's only do 35hz - i could understand the bigger cabinet of the gs60's accounting for that but how come the gs20's go lower then the 200's? do you think thats genuinely the case?

If i do go for the pl200's - I d have to go for a gold centre - just couldnt afford the pl150 right now - any comments on how that would work?

So what did i hear - lazy bass (I couldnt beleive it) and almost sibilant highs - every time i was tempted to crank them up i turned them down as it just got harsh.

Finally - i adore the finish on the speakers - that sculpted back is freaking geogeous - i think the front is a little less succesful - and the ones i saw had a curious piece of leather on the top - a strip between the aluminum front and the wood rear - it just looked odd on such a precisely crafted item to see this slither of leather which wasnt too neat - is that usual? Anyone purchased them in gloss black and think the leather and gloss black look nice. Given the wood is sooo beautiful i wasnt sure whether to stick to gloss black and lose all the natural wood beauty?

many thanks for any input - i would love to hear any and all thoughts
  9. indus

indus Active Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Firstly, the gs20 is a fantastic speaker make no mistake, I've been really happy with mine for the last 2 years. So if you end up with the gold range, you've still done really well.

I've not heard the pl200's but have read they have a similar sound to the pl300, just less bass extension.

I'm also suprised that you found it harsh/sibilant, it has the same tweeter as my pl300 and I've found it far less sibilant than my gs20.

Can you tell us what equipment (ie source, amp) was being used and how the speakers were placed?

I had a similar problem with the bass, but I just didn't have enough clearance at the back, once I resolved that to some extent things changed for the better drastically.
  10. mwomwell

mwomwell Member

Ratings:
    +34
    You could also look at the Kef Reference range of speakers for a similar outlay to the MA Platinums.:smashin:
  11. drillo

drillo Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Indus,
    it was at once harsh and yet totally bland - almost contradictory i grant you. I was so surprised i got 2 of the guys from the shop to give their opinions and they concurred.
    We were using electrcompaniet (sp?) cd deck circa £1700 and one of their amps - like 9k worth of amp and cd. I also listened through the arcam av600 (3.5k av receiver) and as i was so perturbed we also brought in the pioneer sclx82 receiver (2k) just for variety - oh and also tried cyrus cd player.

i plan to use either the denon 4310 or 4810 (4310 is what I had heard driving the golds) but they didnt have any high end denons to try.

we also moved them around a bit tried a bt more toe inand a bit further from the wall to little avail. no hairs on the back of my neck like the golds induced on the same tracks 2 weeks ago.

i was really confused

how did yours sound day 1 ie before run in was complete?
  12. drillo

drillo Member

Ratings:
    +1
    if i audition anything else - the wife will divorce me
  13. indus

indus Active Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Drillo, mine are ex dem, so have already run in a little. Though speakers get better with run in, they won't miraculously transform.

What I find really mind boggling is that you find the pl200 WORSE than the gs20. I could understand if you didn't feel the former gave enough extra to justify the triple price tag. Not even my pl300 is 3 times better than a gs20, law of diminishing returns and all that. But to feel it sounds worse than the gs20 is confusing to say the least.

It would be helpful to know what the high end amp they were using was. Could you find out from the dealer and tell us?

The Arcam and Pioneer imho are not capable of making the most of that speaker, but it still shouldn't sound rubbish.

Anyway, I'm not one to insist that just because I own something it is the best. Trust your ears, if you prefer the gs20 then buy it, and you'll have saved a packet as a bonus!

Btw, what colour gs20's will you be after? Once I'm sure I can get the pl300's settled in my room I will have oak gs20's and gloss black gs lcr for sale, which may be of interest.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  14. drillo

drillo Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry I wasnt too clear - it was also the electrocompaniet amp but i dont know the model.

I have to state i heard the gs20 and 60's at another dealer in a diff room so i wasnt comparing apples and apples just recollection which is certainly harder but even if i couldnt remember every nuance i could tell the difference in the overall impression of them

Im hoping to go back to compare the gold 60's vs the 200's - same amp and same room and with the denon 4810
  15. drillo

drillo Member

Ratings:
    +1
    if size permits (wont intrude onto my screen space) ill probably go gs60's else it will be piano black 20's and matching centre
  16. indus

indus Active Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I'd be really interested to find out what you think when you do the back to back in the same dealer, please make sure you come back and tell us.

Is the Denon you mention an avr? If so make sure you also audition both speakers with stereo pre, amp and cd. Wthout the avr messing around with the signal it will give you a much better example of what either speaker is capable of.

Happy hunting
  17. drillo

drillo Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Indus thanks - im not sure i have the greatest ear - i just know what i like and will let you know what i find.

The denons are both quite new and the top of the range of the recently updated denon avr's (until the 5 series gets updated) - and by all accounts, extremely decent in 2ch mode.

ill audition with as much source/amp variety as possible
  18. mwomwell

mwomwell Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Well, if you are considering the expenditure that you are for the PL200's then you need to take time and try everything in your price bracket - I think you will find that the KEF Reference 203/2, Proac's & PMC speaker ranges look and sound great for similar outlay. Your wife will certainly divorce you if you spend all that money and then decide that you don't like your choice. It's all part of the fun trying out the various bits of kit, afterall how often do you get to do it, it's a hobby, enjoy LOL.:smashin:
  19. dean999

dean999 Member

Ratings:
    +122
    hi drillo

i have to agree with indus on all his remarks , as i too have been the owner of the gold & now platinum range.

i think you are used the denon's laid back sound. i demoed the platinums with primare eqpt & onkyo eqpt( both conncted to a primare A32 power amp), both never sounded harsh or sibilant.

i have to say the gs20s lacked the bass authority of the gs60, pl300 & the pl100 standmounts.

the platinums are current hungry and require high ampereage( not only wattage) to actually run properly at low,mid & high volumes. your preamp will determine the overall sound quality, more so than the power amp, sorry if i am stating the obvious.

like indus said, if you like the gs20s then stick with what you like.

hopefully you will come to a happy conclusion.
  20. drillo

drillo Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've only been married 6 mths - what do I know :D

Actually - when we all (me and the 2 gents from the dealer) concurred the Pl200's sounded curiously poor - they brought in some equivalently priced PMC's (4.5k) i didnt get the model number and all the glorious sound (that I had heard on the GS60's at previosu audiutions) returned so i was fairly confident it wasnt the room or source equipment - other then if it partnered poorly with the platinums specifically.

I have really tried to do my homework and listen to as much as I could - I fear the dealers will lose patience with me but hey it s a 10-12k deal im doing.
  21. drillo

drillo Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Dean - I hope to audition them with the denon and establish whether that is precisely the case - unfortunately they seem to be struggling to get theri hands on the amps.

Your comments re amperage are interesting & I do understand what you are saying, in practice though, how exactly do I ascertain the amperage of an amp, its not a stat that is quoted AFAIK?
  22. indus

indus Active Member

Ratings:
    +112
    If you are spending that kind of money I would take all the time you need and some! Don't feel bad.

I can't comment much more about the pl200 as I've never heard it. I do still find it strange that it sounded so bad. I can fully understand if you prefer the sound of a different make, we all have different tastes, but I've never heard a MA speaker that sounds rubbish for its price point.
    The fact that you like the MA family sound (ie the gs20/60) makes it even more difficult to explain.

It will be interesting to see what you end up with.:)
  23. indus

indus Active Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Dean, I came across an old thread of yours discussing stereo pre's ie sudgen, primare pre 30 etc.

Did you manage to hear any of these with the pl300? If so, what did you think?

Thanks
  24. dean999

dean999 Member

Ratings:
    +122
    hi drillo

i am not a techie, but from what i understand in basic terms , an ampere is the amount of current that produces a certain force, to me this means the ability to drive/deliver the power.
    usually one has to dig deep on the net or ask the manufacturer/dealer for the info if the data is not on the tech spec sheet.

hope this helps

dean
  25. dean999

dean999 Member

Ratings:
    +122
    hi indus

yes i managed to hear the sugden master class set( cd, preamp & power amp), and it was sublime, the delivery was very musical & deep bass.

the full priamare set ws nearly the same, the differences being they were slightly sharper trebles & serious power, it was almost too intense( in a good way) as though the sound was hitting you if went above moderate levels.

i would be hard pressed to choose for musicality, but in terms of product finish, the primares looked well made & the sugden's looked a bit home made, yet the primare's cheaper.

with sugden, i have been told by my dealer that it has to be sugden all the way, no mix & match , if you want the sugden sound.

the primare is a bit more flexible.

you would ideally be looking for electronics that have true balanced topology( xlr) from cd right thru to power amp.

xtz.se(swedeish co that are advertisers on this forum do the cd & power amp in balanced mode and are cheap and have a home trial period)

if i ever have the money i shall first get a balanced preamp( lexi cx7 is already balanced), then look at the cd side of things.

regards
    dean
  26. dean999

dean999 Member

Ratings:
    +122
    drillo

one has to look at product synergy, this is more critical than the cost of the product, so a lot ot trial is required. i did my research over a period of 1 year and went thru a ridiculous no of combinations & price brackets( my wife has the patience of a saint, but i think she was getting the rolling pin ready)before ending up with the speakers & power amp to match my av processor( that was another story) & blu ray player.

i am very happy with my current set up as all the products gel extremely well together.

but as you know once upgraditis( mental illness) sets in then the suffering & pleasure begins:facepalm:

so take your time, once you buy the speakers you really desire, that should be sorted for the life of the product in the ma plats case about 15 -20 years.

with hindsight my only change would be to go for fully balanced topology thought the entire electronic chain, one learns as time progresses.

regards
    dean
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  27. indus

indus Active Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Thanks Dean.

I think a full Sudgen system will be out on financial grounds, I'd particularly like to hang on to my CD player, really don't have the budget to change that for the forseeable future.

The Primare seems one that I have to audition then.:)
  28. indus

indus Active Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Drillo, is the store you auditioned the pl200's in Enfield?
  29. dean999

dean999 Member

Ratings:
    +122
    i would agree, primare is the way to go, there was not between them, just a slightly different presentation.

i think your Quad cd, from what i have read, is a sonic match to the MA range, so you are right about not changing that.
  30. dean999

dean999 Member

Ratings:
    +122
    hi indus

just looked at the quad cdp2 spec on quad's website, the cdp2 allows you to connct direct to a power amp, so all you need is a power amp not a preamp or have i got this wrong?

cheers
    dean