Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio Platinum Series - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dankeech, Jan 5, 2007.

1. GYRODEC1

GYRODEC1 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Hello Hifi Sponge,

Just out of interest, what sort of amplifier, cd player and cables were used with the MA Platinum Spks?

Do these spks have fantastic punch and a tight fast bass which would be suitable for Dance,Hip Hop and R'n'B music?

Finally, if you had the money would buy a pair?

Thanks

GYRODEC1
  2. hifisponge

hifisponge Member

Ratings:
    +22
    The Plats were powered by McIntosh amps (big ones), a McIntosh preamp, a Primare CD player and Audioquest cables all around.

Unfortunately the room the Platinums were in at the dealer was not very kind to the bass, so I wasn't able to get a good read on that aspect of the speaker. However, several other people that I know that have heard them in a better room have said that the bass is just as you described--tight and punchy. The design of the woofers would certainly lend its self to a tight sound because the two 8" drivers have dual spiders to keep tight control over the response of the bass.

Your last question is easy for me to answer. I ditched a brand new set of Focal Electra 1037 Be's to buy the MA Platinums. A set of PL300's, the PL350 center speaker, and four PL100's are on their way to me. I should have them by 5/8/08 and I'll let you know how they sound in my room.
  3. GYRODEC1

GYRODEC1 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Hello,

I was just wondering, do you think the new MA Platinum standmounted spks would a perfect match for my MF A5cr Pre & A5cr Pwr amplifiers?

At the moment I am using Kef Ref 1:2's and these spks do sound a bit smooth and refined sounding when listening to hard hitting Dance and R'n'B music.

It's time to get a serious pair of spks that can will sound awesome with my sort of music!

:cool:
  4. hifisponge

hifisponge Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Hard to say, I'm not sure what sort of sound you're looking for. The Platinum's are at the same time the most detailed speakers I have ever heard, but also very easy on the ears. Smooth but detailed. With Dance and R&B, I would think that you would want a sub too if you are going to go for the standmounts. No standmount is going to give you the bass power that those two genres of music demand.

The only sure way to know if the MA's are right for you is to go give them a listen.
  5. Norbs

Norbs Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I had a chance to audition the PL100's.
    The music I asked to listen to was something with a bit of everything; vocals, acustics, bass, drums.
    I looved the sound of these. So much energy and detail. The seperation of layers was very distinct. I could distinguish where one note of an instrument ends and another one of a different instrument or vocal begins in front or behind. Rich and delicious music:D:rotfl:.
    In response to bass. Personally the bass was plentifull (medium sized room). During the listening session, I could not ask for more bass, just right.

Later on I had a listen to some 805's at a different store. Although the music played was mellow classical, I could not compare properly.

Aaah:(, currently I am heading for a GS60 but the price is (relatively) close to the 100's, though stands increase the price. Might sell something:).

Have fun!
  6. hifisponge

hifisponge Member

Ratings:
    +22
    So I got the MA Platinum speaker set earlier this week.

Here's everything from the initial delivery, to the upacking, up to the final positioning of the speakers. . . .

[​IMG]

I was given a window of between 12p and 5pm for the delivery of the speakers. Usually as these things go, the driver will show up at the last possible minute in the appointment window or even worse they show up late. Much to my surprise, the driver arrived at 11:57am! Wow! This never happens, but I'm not complaining.

Then, something bad almost happens. Could have been tragic really. First you need to know that the driveway to my home is steep and there is a sidewalk with a large lip at the edge of it. This of course makes it difficult to get something like a palette full of speakers on a wheeled palette jack up it. I tell the driver that about 20 feet down, the neighbors have filled in the lip which would make it easier to get the palette up the driveway. But he insists that he can get the pallet off the truck lift and onto the sidewalk. Sure enough, as he tries to get over the lip the whole stack of speakers goes sliding off to the left and I make a mad dash to get them from crashing onto the pavement! I just about lost my lunch over that one. There was rather thin layer of plastic wrap around all of the boxes which helped, but if I hadn't have reacted quickly, this could have been a real mess of a disappointment to say the least.

Surviving that mess, I start unpacking and all the while I'm waiting for my next fear to come true. In my research on the Platinum's I have noticed that there is quite a bit of variation in the look of the ebony veneer, some of it I really didn't care for much at all. I suppose this approach makes each speaker unique, but I really find some of the veneers unattractive. So I'm thinking that it will be just my luck and my speakers will have a funky finish. Nope. They all look great! Whew!

To end on a positive note, even though the speakers are fresh out of the box, they sound sound pretty darn good. The treble is just as delicate, smooth and detailed as I remember hearing at the dealer. Even though I don't believe much in extended break-in, I think for good measure I will give them 100 hours before committing to any comments on the sound quality of the speakers in my room with my system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. paulst10

paulst10 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,151
    WOW! they look stunning, and a very nice finish as well :thumbsup:
  8. GYRODEC1

GYRODEC1 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Hello,

Excellent build and finish to your brand new MA Platinum SPKS. But don't you think choosing the Walnut finish was a mistake, as they do look very dark in the room or maybe it's the lighting?

What other wood finishes do they do?

I think the stand mounted versions look better than the floorstanding ones. To me the floorstanding spks just look a bit too bulky.

But I still think they these spks are awesome whatever finish.

From

Jazz:smashin:
  9. hifisponge

hifisponge Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks Paul! That ebony veneer is even more stunning in person. And they sound OK too. :rolleyes:
  10. hifisponge

hifisponge Member

Ratings:
    +22
    No, I think the ebony finish is perfect. We have dark wood furniture throughout the room and the rest of our home.

I agree that MA should have made the speakers more slender, but you get used to the width pretty quickly.
  11. recruit

recruit Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Stunning hifisponge :thumbsup:

I would start a thread in the Members Home Cinema Gallery as well as it would most definitely be a worthy addition :smashin:

Members Home Cinema Gallery
  12. hifisponge

hifisponge Member

Ratings:
    +22
    recruit -

Thanks, and I'll be sure to pst over in the gallery section.
  13. OneDesi

OneDesi Active Member

Ratings:
    +212
    What a wonderfully elegant setup, I've followed this thread with great interest and think your setup looks great.

Let us know how it sounds, can't wait for the next episode ;)
  14. Dav1dF

Dav1dF Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,471
    For those still wondering, we've had confirmation that the PL150 centre speaker is due in mid/end July for £1750. There will also be the PLW15 subwoofer available towards the end of September priced at £2500.

Regards
    David
  15. dean999

dean999 Member

Ratings:
    +122
    i have edited hifisponge's post( as he describes it so eloquently) to sum up my experience of the pl300s.

they are absolutely fantastic!!

take care
    dean
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  16. dean999

dean999 Member

Ratings:
    +122
    i have had the pl300s for 8 days now and hav loved every moment of listening to the- every track sounds different and improved. its like a whole new audio window has opened up- the details are just coming through, it is so easy to place the singer and instruments.
  17. j0hn

j0hn New Member

Ratings:
    +74
    tell us what you think in 60 - 120 days, once the novelty has worn off :)
  18. Member 96948

Member 96948 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,848
    What source and amp are you using?

Russell
  19. dean999

dean999 Member

Ratings:
    +122
    hi russ

using a panny blu ray and an onkyo 875.

i demoed using a onkyo 905 & a pioneer blu ray and it sounded fabulous.

i did demo 4 times at around 2-3 hours per demo and was overjoyed everytime.
  20. dean999

dean999 Member

Ratings:
    +122
    enjoying them even more since the adition of a lexicon cx7 power amp.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. hifisponge

hifisponge Member

Ratings:
    +22
    While I stand by most of my comments about the sound quality of the PL300's, after a couple of months of living with them, I found the upper-mids / lower treble made vocals sound unnatural / not pleasant. I don't know why it took me the time it did to dial in on that quality, but it was enough that I decided to go with a different speaker. It's a shame though because other than that problem, they are very special speakers. The detail is top-notch. I think these would be great speakers with a tubed front end.
  22. dean999

dean999 Member

Ratings:
    +122
    hi tim

i have had them a couple of months now and found them to be very realistic, natural. i did use the MA detox disc to break them in so maybe that is what makes them sound superb all round. i listen to most genres of music and found them to excel all round.
  23. hifisponge

hifisponge Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Hi Dean -

They are great speakers, that are very strong in many key areas, but I have a particular sensitivity to anything off in the upper mids that I don't think everyone shares.

I'm glad that they are still sounding great to you. I sure miss that ribbon tweet. There's nothing like it.

All the best.
  24. dean999

dean999 Member

Ratings:
    +122
    hi tim

u r right- that ribbon tweeter is special. i found the pl300s really well balanced.i have listened to kefs( the iq range is dire), B & Ws they were good but a bit slow ( not precise in the mid & upper range), missions were ok( they were the slimline floorstanders- cant remember the name- not cheap),tannoy prestige were good for a £1000 pair speaker- the big old fashioned looking ones cost about £6000 sounded very good but i hated their styling,mordaunt shorts always sound constrained, i liked the linn katans( i owned them- but i found that i have preferred floorstanders- i do not like using a sub when listening to music), but did not find the majiks as appealing. i listened to the klimax and akurate floorstanders and they were good -but i again was not too keen on the styling- for the price i did not think they were sonically worth it.

sorry to hear about your mid range sensitivity.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  25. hifisponge

hifisponge Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Dean -

I've been curious about Mordaunt's top of the line speaker, the Performance 6. Did you listen to that one?
  26. dean999

dean999 Member

Ratings:
    +122
    tim

i am not inclined towards mordaunt shorts so did not listen to the performance 6. it has metal drivers so i do not think they will suit you. check out this review below:

Stereophile: Mordaunt-Short Performance 6 loudspeaker

i do not know if this will help- but the review ftouches on tonality-esp brightness.
  27. Member 96948

Member 96948 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,848
    The upper mids tend to be a tricky balance between the very limited low end output of ribbon tweeters and the upper end break up modes of of metal coned mid/bass drivers. However, anything other than a ribbon+metal combination seems to result in an obvious shift in character across the frequency range that seems even more obvious, so it's a balance many manufactures have tried to tread.

The most interesting thing about the PL Series ribbon are the claims MA make for it, inspite of it being an inexpensive OEM unit from China that appears in any number of much less costly designs. The only thing MA about it is the bolt on face plate.

Russell
  28. Supernovaxl

Supernovaxl Member

Ratings:
    +15
    While the tweeter itself is blatantly a Fountek model with 2 extra holes for screws, the actual ribbon itself is made from a different material to the oem unit (C-CAM) so may offer better performance. I'm not sure that it does however.
    Still MA do make great speakers!
  29. dean999

dean999 Member

Ratings:
    +122
    the ribbon is tuned to 100khz- unlike the xtz which is around 43khz IIRC.

we all know that even high end speakers can use generic parts -it is what is done with them that matters.

by the way russ.will i do respect and enjoy your reviews- not having a go at you or anyone else.

i cannot see why MA would mislead people- am i being naive?
  30. Dav1dF

Dav1dF Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,471
    Only just noticed this, but to back up what Dean states, here's a quote from another thread I replied to, which is a quote taken from a HiFi+ review: