Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio MA7 speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by contrem, Aug 3, 2011.

1. contrem

contrem Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I've just picked up these speakers on the cheap and have been sent some info from Monitor Audio in the form of a scanned copy of the original spec sheet.

I'm hoping that one of the knowledgeable folk on here can help me decipher it and work out if it's a bargain or not!

[​IMG]
  2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte Active Member

Ratings:
    +671
    You'd need to mention how much you paid for them to work out if they are a bargain.

I've not seen the model before, so I'm guessing they are older than 12-15 years? (going by what I remember seeing in What Hifi Sevenoaks adverts...lol) Assuming they are in perfect working order, I'd imagine they probably have a nice sound, but without knowing their original release price point or the market they were aimed at, again, it wouldnt be easy to tell if they were a bargain, or just a pair of speakers that will make do.
  3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,791
    While it is still a Monitor Audio, it is a very basic speaker.

The frequency response specs -

70hz to 20khz at ±4db is just so-so.

But lacking in bass to the point were, for stereo, they would be good for casual listening at best. Though they would make decent satellite speakers (front or rear) for a Surround system. The bass is especially weak when you consider they have 150mm bass drivers in a relatively large cabinet. Ideally we would like the bass to be 60hz or less. But again, they are probably fine for casual listening.

The Sensitivity is rated at 96db, but that is at 20 watts, not the more standard 1 watt. Still 96db is a pretty high number and the speakers, even at a more modest 1 watt, should still be reasonably efficient.

And the power rating is a mere 8w to 30w, which is very modest power.

So, what you have is nothing special, but if the price was right, then they should be an acceptable general casual listening speaker.

Steve/bluewizard
  4. contrem

contrem Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for the reply.

I've found that the original rrp was $350 and it was sold 1977-81. Seems like a lot of money for the time.

I've also done a not very scientific comparison with my Castle Harlech S2 speakers and they stand up pretty well considering they're a much smaller speaker.

Any suggestions on some tracks I could try that would be a good test of the speakers and make a good comparison.

I only paid £20 so even if I just end up with an average pair of speakers I won't be too upset! :thumbsup: