1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MMA Discussion Thread part XIII

Discussion in 'Sport' started by DrPhil, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrPhil

DrPhil Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,146
    Interesting fight. Could be a stormer. Real make or break fight for Hardy though. A win is very respectable and saves his job, but it's by no means an easy fight either and a loss would certainly see him cut.

Also read the other day that Marquardt has signed with Strikeforce. Very interesting move considering the Zuffa factor. Maybe they are using SF as a proving ground before he returns to the UFC.

He'll certainly be a force in their MW division.
  2. MonkeyPrince

MonkeyPrince Active Member

Ratings:
    +476
    Heads up for anyone planning to watch the event on BT Vision - ESPN will only broadcast until 6am
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. repoman

repoman Member

Ratings:
    +74
    As a former number 1 contender, it's a fight Hardy must win. I'm a fan but I'd want him to be cut if he lost because it's horrible seeing him get defeated over and over.

Ludwig will keep it standing, which'll suit Hardy at least.

Prediction: knockout. Ludwig wins. eek!
  4. Flimber

Flimber Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,261
    Lorenzo and White both have said they love Hardy 'cos he brings it every fight so he's not as cuttable as some.
  5. DrPhil

DrPhil Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,146
    That's why he's still there after 4 straight losses.

Anderson Silva himself wouldn't survive 5 in a row.

For any near Birmingham, there's a fighter Expo coming soon. Lots of UFC names including Rashad Evans. Plenty from BAMMA etc too. Training sessions and meet'n'greets. Not an official UFC Expo but looks like fun. Can't remember the name but there an article on ESPN UK at the minute so shouldn't be hard to find.
  6. BigStu1972

BigStu1972 Active Member

Ratings:
    +291
    Does anyone know if there are any offical UFC Expo's planned for the UK (preferably London) anytime soon?
  7. DrPhil

DrPhil Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,146
    No plans at the minute that I know of.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. BigStu1972

BigStu1972 Active Member

Ratings:
    +291
    predictions for tomorrow night

Frankie Edgar (c) vs. Ben Henderson – Hard to back against Edgar because he always finds a way to win but Henderson is a huge threat. I'm gonna say Edgar, just cos I like him.

Quinton Jackson vs. Ryan Bader – Bader has good wrestling but we know that Rampage is hard to take down. With the Japanese crowd getting behind Rampage I think he'll win this one.

Mark Hunt vs. Cheick Kongo – Go to go with Kongo, although Hunt looked better in his last fight he hasn't impressed me

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Jake Shields – I want Akiyama to win this one and I think he beats Shields everywhere apart from the submission game. I'm going with Akiyama to get a KO

Yushin Okami vs. Tim Boetsch - Okami

Hatsu Hioki vs. Bart Palaszewski - No idea who these guys are

Anthony Pettis vs. Joe Lauzon – I like Lauzon but I think Pettis will have too much for him
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  9. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +226
    Frankie Edgar vs. Ben Henderson cant stand Edgar for no reason at all and dont see a way of him winning this one against the beast that is Benson.

Quinton Jackson vs. Ryan Bader strange matchup and a rubbish fight for Jackson but he will be pumped for this one. This has potential upset all over it though but im sticking with jackson

Mark Hunt vs. Cheick Kongo Strange fight and i can only see one winner and thats Kongo

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Jake Shields – got a feeling Shields will be back to his best in this fight

Yushin Okami vs. Tim Boetsch - Okami all the way

Hatsu Hioki vs. Bart Palaszewski - not really sure on this one but let go for the home win
    Anthony Pettis vs. Joe Lauzon – Definatley showtime for me
  10. repoman

repoman Member

Ratings:
    +74
    YOU HAVE NO SOUL!

Edgar is just a guy you have to admire. He's got holes in his game but the guy's heart is incredible and his conditioning is off the charts. He doesn't cut weight either unlike some of the big guys looking for easy fights. He is the people's champ!

That said, I can't call that fight. He's so little that it's hard to back him and then he pulls off miracles and you go 'oh yeah, he's amazing!'

Stu, Akiyama to beat Shields? Interesting call. I don't see it. Akiyama's looked blaverage recently.

Pettis v Lauzon is going to be amazing.
  11. DrPhil

DrPhil Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,146
    Surprised at that choice myself! Akiyama has been horrendous in the UFC. Plus this is his first WW cut and I heard he had a miserable test cut.

I think Shields wears him down and submits him in the 3rd.
  12. BigStu1972

BigStu1972 Active Member

Ratings:
    +291
    This is based purely on my dislike of Shields and the fact that Akiyama and I play the same Pyjama game:thumbsup:
  13. DrPhil

DrPhil Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,146
    :D
    That sounds dirty!

Honestly dont think he has a hope in hell though. Bizarre matchmaking too IMO. Akiyama is marketable so I expected him to get a more winnable fight in front of the home crowd. He's almost certain for the chop if he loses.

I'll post my picks later but they are much the same although I've gone with Henderson. Incredibly close fight though I expect.

My outside shot at an upset would actually be Hunt over Kongo. Unlikely, but worth a punt.
  14. Moldiver

Moldiver Member

Ratings:
    +113
    Would be nice if he used it lol. Hope he wins though.
  15. mooperman

mooperman Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,088
    just seen this mentioned on twitter...

UFC 144 on ESPN this weekend
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Moldiver

Moldiver Member

Ratings:
    +113
    Ariel has done a 45 minute interview with Rampage where he just walk around Japan with him going deep on some stories. Pretty good watch, also there is some Tekken Tag 2 going down.
  17. fcz

fcz Member

Ratings:
    +96
    rampage weighed in at 211 :nono:
  18. daz990

daz990 Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Proves rampage is not taking this fight seriously.
  19. DrPhil

DrPhil Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,146
    Claims he had an injury during training that affected his cut.
  20. repoman

repoman Member

Ratings:
    +74
  21. Flimber

Flimber Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,261
    Felt bad for The 'Page. I hate to do a Rogan but he did look too one-dimensional to be a MMArtist. The title fight was decent but Hend didn't fight like a champ-calibre dude for me on the night. Edgar did good to stick in there.
  22. MonkeyPrince

MonkeyPrince Active Member

Ratings:
    +476
    Pettis Lauzon - awesome headkick

Hioki needed to finish arm bar in 1st, enjoyed the fight though

Okami great standup 1st round dominant ground game 2nd but Wow - awesome comeback
    I think Rogan did a little wee in his pants, although he back-peddled later.

Akiyama just headhunting in 1st rnd but lovely trip later. Fight ran out of steam in 3rd as Akiyama went on defensive until his back was taken Ak should have lost a point for grabbing fence, i agree with decision. Ak not effective enough.

Kongo fell to heavy hands just like in the Barry fight, but I think the ref stopped it a smidge too early (although Kongo was not gonna get out of that one like he did against Barry)
    Even Hunt looked like he thought it was stopped early.

Bader did enough, rampage missed his chance after the slam when Bader was rocked. It was good to see Rampage fight in Japan again, but he's built a career on strength and striking power, and now thats fading he's not got much to fall back on. Still like watching him fight though.

Although Edgar showed usual heart, especially fighting through that nasty snout kick in the 2nd, he just wasn't effective enough with his striking.
    Good, but disappointing fight. I'd have loved to have seen that headkick land in the first, after Edgar caught the kick from Benson. It would have knocked Edgar's head into Row Z. It missed by about an inch.

It was good to see the corner cams throughout.
  23. repoman

repoman Member

Ratings:
    +74
    A little disappointed by the final fight. It was great but when a belt changes hands I like it to be more decisive. Edgar won 3 rounds for me and it was just the upkick that won it for Benson who really didn't do enough aside from that. Edgar's takedowns were great. I'd like to see him destroy Aldo next though.

I fking love Edgar.

Rampage didn't show up. What a waste of time.
  24. Boris360

Boris360 Member

Ratings:
    +181
    Glad to see Rampage lose. Edgar needs to move down. The size difference was ridiculous between him and Bendo.

Rogan finally used a Japanese name for a "judo throw". I think he got it wrong though. When Akiyama's big throw in the second round was replayed he said "Uchimata" (in a jap accent). I definitely wasn't an Uchimata. I'm guessing Harai goshi (sp) because it looked like the same throw that Hettes used recently that Stu called Harai goshi. Is that right or am I talking bollo...? A lot of the throws look similar to me.
  25. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +226
    Overall pretty average card but as I expected tbh based on the match ups.
  26. mooperman

mooperman Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,088
    i really enjoyed the card to be honest, some good fights!:thumbsup:
  27. daz990

daz990 Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Overall an above average card. The prelims were pretty good. Rampage bores me to tears now. Ever since Forrest leg kicked him to death. Boetch had an awesome come back and really did what a lot of us want fighters to do when they are clearly behind. Just damn well swing for the fences. Akiyama physically looked in great shape and I think if he got a decent boxing coach he could be affective maybe start throwing some 3 punch combos. I thought Jake sheilds looked average at best and still have no clue how the hell hendo lost to him. Pettis shin to chin was great and he should prob get Henderson or maybe a number one contender with Diaz. Unfortunately for Edgar is was plain as day the guy was dwarfed by bendo. Although I thought he won the fight and the stats agree strikes/ takedowns. Noticed that the judges did not value take downs as highly which in normal circumstances is a good thing but there were a few fights very close and I think takedowns may have won the night on another day.
  28. daz990

daz990 Member

Ratings:
    +35
    And props to Vaughan Lee. Great fight and flying the flag for us brits
  29. DrPhil

DrPhil Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,146
    Great card, no doubt about the main event for me, I scored it 49-46 for Henderson. Frankie just wasn't effective enough. Even before the upkick Henderson was outstriking him. Henderson is extremely well rounded and I look forward to his next fight which looks set to be a rematch against Pettis.

Rampage should retire and I was half expecting him to do it in the cage after the fight.

Bonuses...
    KO - Pettis
    Sub - Lee (only sub of the night though)
    Fight - Edgar vs Henderson
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  30. daz990

daz990 Member

Ratings:
    +35
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.