Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MMA Discussion Thread Part XII

Discussion in 'Sport Forum' started by Flimber, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boris360

Boris360 Member

Ratings:
    +191
    If that happened, then yeah, I would.
  2. mooperman

mooperman Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,313
    fair enough, i wont, i'll bury my head in the sand and mutter under my breath about what a knob sonnen is and how he got lucky etc... :D
  3. BigStu1972

BigStu1972 Active Member

Ratings:
    +321
    I was in Wales over the weekend, have I missed anything?:D
  4. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +235
    just some average UFC event i wouldnt bother watching it :devil:
  5. BigStu1972

BigStu1972 Active Member

Ratings:
    +321
    Duly deleted from my Sky Planner. Thanks djcla, you've just saved me from wasting 3 hours:rolleyes:
  6. mooperman

mooperman Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,313
    there was a mild mannered discussion over who was the better fighter between Hendo and Rua.....:D
  7. BigStu1972

BigStu1972 Active Member

Ratings:
    +321
    Seriously though, what a fight that was. Rua has some heart to come back like that. I just wished that, instead of punching Hendo when he had him mounted, he could have dropped some elbows instead.
  8. mooperman

mooperman Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,313
    yeah it was a corker, i was convinced hendo was gonna put him away early at the start of the fight, thank god for 5 round fights!!!

on another note, kinda, mid way through the hendo/rua scrap my box fires a message on screen "recording cancelled due to loss of signal"... i was gutted but the entire show was recorded fine.. :confused:
  9. Flimber

Flimber Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,265
    ...or shown some of his Jitsy blackbeltedness ?
  10. DrPhil

DrPhil Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,609
    That's what I thought. A few times Hendo was trying to cover up, and rolled away with an arm right up in the air, crying out for an armbar.
  11. DrPhil

DrPhil Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,609
    A few news snippets...

• If anyone missed it, Fedor got back on track at the weekend with a comfortable if unspectacular decision win over Jeff Monson. To celebrate, Vadim Finkelstein has announced that he wants to co-promote a fight in Moscow between Fedor and Cain Velasquez. :facepalm:

• Tito Ortiz has called for a fight with Rich Franklin. He's fighting Little Nog first so he needs to focus on that, unless he's building a feud as backup in case Nog beats him and he's facing the boot.

• Dana White still thinks that Wanderlei Silva should still retire despite his win over Cung Le. I'm inclined to agree, but I can't see it happening.

• Tryouts for TUF-Brazil will start in December. No details yet on how the show will run, whether it will run alongside a regular US TUF or instead of it but the show will be filmed entirely in Portugese with all Brazilian fighters and 2 Brazilian coaches so I suspect that a normal English version will run in the States too.
  12. BigStu1972

BigStu1972 Active Member

Ratings:
    +321
    I think he was too worried about trying for a sub in case Hendo ended up on top. Both fighters were covered in sweat and blood at this point so an arm bar is easily wriggled out of plus he may have thought that by staying on top for the whole of the last round that he would get the judges decision. Although I don't agree with the judges scoring each round 10-9 (I think both fighters should have had a 10-8) I do agree that Hendo won the fight by one round.
  13. BigStu1972

BigStu1972 Active Member

Ratings:
    +321
    Any idea if it will be shown on FX, with English subtitles for those of us not fluent in Portugese
  14. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +235
    Im sure if Rua had just stood it up he could have knocked out Hendo, he was done on the cardio front. As for why did he not submit him etc etc, thats all very well but after being batterered for 15 plus minutes id like to see any of us think clearly
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  15. DrPhil

DrPhil Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,609
    No news on a US tv deal yet so I certainly wouldn't hold my breath for a UK deal!
  16. BigStu1972

BigStu1972 Active Member

Ratings:
    +321
    It would be nice to see a European version of TUF as well
  17. themilkman23

themilkman23 Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I thought Hendo was out on his feet at one point - might have been the start of the 4th - He was just a zombie with his arms low and just getting jabbed in the face.

Fair play from him hanging in there, but like has been said, fair play to Rua for getting battered for 3 rounds and then still getting up off the stool and clearly winning two rounds.
  18. BigStu1972

BigStu1972 Active Member

Ratings:
    +321
  19. Flimber

Flimber Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,265
    My problem is that so many times we hear of people being "high level"/"the real deal"/"top of the food chain"/"blah-rogan-blah" and when it comes down to it with clear-cut opportunites in front of them they don't go for shoulder locks, armbars, chokes or whatever. Rua had chance after chance to put something on Hendy and he didn't; whether that was a conscious/semi-conscious choice or not I don't know but some of these people have been in and around fighting-focussed gyms for ten, fifteen, twenty years or more and finishing a battle should be in their blood. Not the best example of a fight for to me get this off my chest but it' feels better now that it is :)

You might be right. Having a 'no sub unless certain' strategy is a bit stand-offish/GregJackson-ey and it might be playing the percentages. Perhaps the right approach with more rounds to go too. But as an approach I think it rots :smashin:

Rua's been doing this a long time though. He should have instincts by now :)

Mike.
  20. SyStemDeMoN

SyStemDeMoN Active Member

Ratings:
    +330
    Wow ! what a tool !!

I really hope silva knocks him out cold !!!
  21. Boris360

Boris360 Member

Ratings:
    +191
    I thought that too. I know what Stu is saying about the escape and ending up on the bottom but when there is 15 seconds left in the 5th round, the guy has his arm straight up in the air and you're likely to lose a decision, I think the sub attempt is a no brainer. A battered, exhausted fighter might not be thinking about all that but his corner should have been screaming at him to at least try it. Even if it fails it shouldn't cost him on the judges scorecard because it shows a clear effort to finish the fight.
  22. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +235
    I actually thought the same when Maynard fought Edgar the second time why did he not just go for a submission rather than chasing that knowout blow which failed the first fight. But i dont know how good Maynard's BJJ is. WIth regards to Rogan im pretty sure he is profficient in BJJ himself and Nam Pham said in an interview one the MMAhour once that he would give some UFC fighters a run for there money . So i guess he should have good judgement on how good a fighters BJJ is.
  23. daz990

daz990 Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Just being listening to mmajunkie pod cast. They had stitch Duran on he said that at one point hendo told his corner he was done and his corner had to get him back out to the middle. Anyone see the Alvarez v Chandler fight in Bellaire its up on MMA junkie worth a watch
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. LCR_Dave

LCR_Dave Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Bloody hell Big Rig Falcoa had a heart attack Sunday, hes in hospital at the mo. hoping to see him back in the ufc soon
  25. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +235
    Not sure he is in the UFC still
  26. LCR_Dave

LCR_Dave Member

Ratings:
    +73
    no he isnt, i was hoping he would be after legal matters where cleared up though :smashin:
  27. daz990

daz990 Member

Ratings:
    +35
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. supertom44

supertom44 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Is there no TUF this week?
  29. djcla

djcla Active Member