Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MLB 12: The Show - Preview Thread

Discussion in 'PS3 Game Previews' started by kendoll, Jan 10, 2012.

1. kendoll

kendoll Active Member

Ratings:
    +561
    Comes out on the 6th of March.

Everyone else get their email from VG+ saying that it was available for pre-order? Don't think I am going to bother with courier delivery, will just wait the week for normal delivery.

I wonder how different this years version will be. Back to the halcyon days (for me anyway :)) of 09 and 10 (played through over 5-6 years in career mode), or the immense frustration (and 2 broken controllers :eek:) of 11? :D

Looks like it has full Move support too - batting, pitching, and fielding. Interested to see how they work but likely to stick to the analogue controller methinks.

Anyone thinking of getting it on the PS Vita? I see it supports cross game saves. You can continue your PS3 game on the Vita and vice versa. Cool idea, but not sure I would enjoy playing this game on such a small screen, etc.

I read that A-Gon was to be on the cover but the image on VG+ has Cliff Lee in a Yankees uniform! :confused:
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  2. Nik73

Nik73 Active Member

Ratings:
    +743
    I skipped 11, just purely because of time (I've played NCAA Football and Madden way less than any other year, and also skipped NBA 2K this year), but will probably get this. I'm intrigued by the Move thing, but firstly I don't have it and would only buy it for this. Secondly, how exhausting would it be to play a whole game using it.
    That said, if it's accurate and responsive it would be pretty cool, but also ridiculously hard! I mean, I'm sure none of us could come close to hitting a major league pitcher (probably the most difficult thing in any sport, where being successful 30% of the time is considered pretty good!) so if it is "realistic" it'll be a bloody nightmare!

There are a couple of videos floating around from CES in Vegas.

Also a rather bizarre one of an alien using the moving controls. He's very poor at it, but the bat on screen seems to match what he's doing, even down to his wrists and stance.

I thought Gonzo was going to be on the cover as well, must be a cock-up. I think I'm going to avoid VG+ this year as the last few games I've ordered from them have taken about 3 weeks to come rather than the usual 1. I've been hearing good things about 365games, so may give them a go.
  3. Nik73

Nik73 Active Member

Ratings:
    +743
  4. Craigy

Craigy Active Member

Ratings:
    +572
    Buying both PS3 and Vita versions.

Said it a million times it's a tough frustrating game if you don't like losing alot, especially when the games last an hour plus sometimes and I still don't understand the trading system and how it works but throu watching baseball on ESPN got to know pretty much the best players out there.

When you do smack a HR to win a game in the 12th to winin OT it's pretty awesome, I am rubbish though with Jeter and A-Rod, always seem to do better with Gardener and Granderson.
  5. kendoll

kendoll Active Member

Ratings:
    +561
    Given how many times I've thrown a controller with this game I don't trust myself with it on the Vita. :devil:
  6. Craigy

Craigy Active Member

Ratings:
    +572
    I lost a game last night because I forgot in the heat of the moment how to send a man from 3rd to home to score, I deserved the bad language I gave myself. :rotfl:
  7. kendoll

kendoll Active Member

Ratings:
    +561
    I know the feeling. Over running bases, sending the wrong runner, forgetting the button to jump for a catch at 3rd base. I've done it all. :devil:

I pretty much just stick to RTTS. Given how little time I spend on the PS3 these days I decided just to stick to one game style.
  8. Foster

Foster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,180
    I've never actually seen MLB in the shops (UK)
  9. Craigy

Craigy Active Member

Ratings:
    +572
    You probably never will either, import only. :)
  10. Foster

Foster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,180
    Fair enough xD and guess it isn't sustainable to release it over here since well it is an america sport xD like NCAA aswell that never got released over here :)
  11. Goooner

Goooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,431
    Haven't played '11 anywhere near as much as I should have, but what I have played I found batting even more frustrating than previous years.

I'm telling myself to hold off on '12, but I just know when it gets to within a couple of weeks of release, I'll end up ordering it:laugh:

Might be a good excuse to dust off the Move, don't think I've even touched it since about 3 weeks after it came out :D

Like Craigy, I haven't got a clue how the whole trading thing works, but then I never play Franchise anyway, I only ever seem to play RTS.
  12. Craigy

Craigy Active Member

Ratings:
    +572
    Find batting ok now, once you learn the point of the animation just before the pitcher releases to pull back the right stick, tutorials are excellent for teaching the timing.

Hardest part is laying off a pitch but far better at spotting them now.
  13. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,431
    I couldn't lay off a pitch if I tried, and believe me I've tried :laugh:
  14. Craigy

Craigy Active Member

Ratings:
    +572
    I know it's really difficult but swinging for everything makes the pitcher think he doesn't have to throw anything in the strike zone at all hence you miss everything, better at the start of the game to lay off the first few pitches so it makes him think he has to try and strike you on merit rather than throwing anywhere.

I would literally just start a new game and don't swing at all in the 1st and 2nd and you will see the logic.

If you press pause in the game ideally you would want 40-50% balls thrown by the pitcher.

Also just as the the pitcher lifts up his leg pull back then and the timing should be better and the pitches easier to spot.
  15. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,431
    I'll give that a try at the weekend, I think.

I'm going to actually put the controller down so I can't swing at at least the first and maybe the second pitch. If its in my hands my thumb seems to have a mind of its own and presses the swing button regardless of any conscious decision I make :D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Craigy

Craigy Active Member

Ratings:
    +572
    I meant just and an excercise do it for a couple of innings (6 outs - just take control of the other team when it's their chance to bat) and just observe the behaviour of the ball and the pitcher, if you are two strikes down it means that the pitcher doesn't have to strike to get you out, he would rather throw something more less risky in the corners or get you fishing and swing the bat if he notices you are just going to try and wallop everything.

I would say though to put in half a dozen attempts on each hitting tutorial and you will improve immensely.
  17. kendoll

kendoll Active Member

Ratings:
    +561
    Man do I know that feeling! :D

I am resisting going back to 11, the hitting changes every year so not sure if it will be a benefit getting used to 11 again now.
  18. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,431
    I vaguely recall something about tutorials, but I don't think I ever found them, only the batting practice either during a season or before the start of a match.

The annoying thing is, I'm great at those, can leave a few if they look like they're out of the zone and get some good hits. Once the game starts, it's a whole different story :D

I wonder if it's becuase I'm using a created player, with lousy stats, being a Rookie, I may get on better playing a few exhibitions with proper teams, just for the practice.

So much for holding off on '12 for a bit, reading this thread has already started a tingle of anticipation, I just know that pre-order won't be long in coming now :rotfl:
  19. Craigy

Craigy Active Member

Ratings:
    +572
    As if the game weren't hard enough, mind you can revert to last years controls if you want.

20. kendoll

kendoll Active Member

Ratings:
    +561
    At least it is off by default. :D

Love how it says use the pulse pitching to 'control' the accuracy of your pitching. The pulse is going to ensure that my pitching is anything but controlled or accurate. :devil:
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  21. Craigy

Craigy Active Member

Ratings:
    +572
    Really looking forward to taking my saves on the road though, can save modes on PS3 and carry on game on Vita!
  22. kendoll

kendoll Active Member

Ratings:
    +561
    I can't picture playing this on such a small screen. You'll have to let us know how well it translates to the 'small' screen. :)
  23. Craigy

Craigy Active Member

Ratings:
    +572
    Think you will be surprised, skip to around 45 mins in the video

On the Spot - PlayStation Vita Super Show - YouTube
  24. kendoll

kendoll Active Member

Ratings:
    +561
    Thinking of getting a Vita in a few months so may pick this up on it then.

Do you guys follow the MLB? My 2012 season thread in the Sport section of GC of mighty lonely. :D
  25. Craigy

Craigy Active Member

Ratings:
    +572
    Vg+ are processing my order now for both games!
  26. Pocket

Pocket Member

Ratings:
    +50
    They're processing already?! Do they ship out early for European orders?
  27. kendoll

kendoll Active Member

Ratings:
    +561
    They do process earlier but I wouldn't have thought it would be this early.

What delivery method did you choose?
  28. Craigy

Craigy Active Member

Ratings:
    +572
    Just the standard delivery I think!
  29. kendoll

kendoll Active Member

Ratings:
    +561
    Just checked and mine is at Processing too. Hmmmm.
  30. Pocket

Pocket Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012