Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MKV2VOB can patch DTS stream in M2TS. Why can't TSmuxer do the same thing?

Discussion in 'PS3 Media & Streaming' started by bibi-phoque, Sep 24, 2009.

1. bibi-phoque

bibi-phoque Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is the question I currently can't answer, and I spent hours surfing the web looking for it.
    As we all know, the PS3 can only support a DTS stream if the movie is on a DVD or a BluRay (optical drive).
    To workaround this problem MKV2VOB "patches" the DTS stream by renaming the header to a PCM 2 channels (however the audio itself is untouched), and when the PS3 reads the output m2ts file, it simply passes it through to the optical output. The amps will then receive the DTS audio track, tricking the PS3.

However, this is great if you are starting from an MKV. I recently extracted the m2ts from my own bluray, but unfortunately the PS3 cannot read the DTS track.

My first idea was to use tsmuxer to switch from a m2ts container to a ts container, which mkv2vob supports. However, for some reason mkv2vob tells my that the audio track "DTS" is unsupported...I don't get it, it works fine when it is in a mkv container...

My second idea was to find a way to "patch" the m2ts audio part, like mkv2vob does. However, I haven't find a single software able to change the header of the audio stream (DTS to PCM 2 channels)...

There are 2 solutions to this problem at the moment, but I don't like any of them...
    - use ClownBD to convert the DTS track to a AC3 track (in one step). I don't like this option as DTS is soo much better than AC3...:-(
    - use the AVCHD approach to "emulate" a optical drive. Again, doesn't really work for me as you need a big dedicated usb drive for this and I like to store my movies on the PS3 HD (500GB)...

Anybody has a solution to patch a DTS stream so we can fool the PS3 without going the mkv road (i.e. with tsmuxer only?)

Cheers,
    bibi-phoque
  2. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    No idea, sorry, i go down the 2nd solution as i want 24fps playback, in fact, i don't use MKV's at all.

I'd suggest posting this exact same thread on the mkv2vob forum, they might be able to help you.
  3. bibi-phoque

bibi-phoque Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The MKV2VOB forum is dead unfortunately :(
  4. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    No it's not, i posted on there the other day...

Or do you mean not very active ? If you do then you may as well try it, you have nothing to lose, if people know a solution they'll reply.
  5. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,881
    You have to login to see the posts ;)

BTW..PS3 Media Server uses the same DTS patch trick as MKV2VOB when streaming DTS. Don;t know if it does it with M2TS as well as MKV but may be worth giving it a try...
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. bibi-phoque

bibi-phoque Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I see!! This is why I thought it was dead! Will create a login asap.
    And yes you are right, PS3 media Server does use the DTS patch as well...But streaming is not 100% efficient for me, even though I have very good homeplugs (200Mbs with filters). Most 1080p documentary would be well over 50 Mb/s where my network maxes out at 40 Mbs. It is fine for most 1080P movies though.
    Every software seems to be using this patching method beside tsmuxer!! :-(
  7. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,881
    Yeah homeplugs still aren't great with 1080p. I gave up and moved to wired gigabit :devil:.

What happens if you use PS3 Media Server to copy the file over to the PS3. I believe it transcodes as it copies the file over doesn't it? Maybe it will add the patch as it does so :confused:

I may be wrong but was just a thought....
  8. bibi-phoque

bibi-phoque Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If I copy the file using PMS, there is no transcoding or patching so if the m2ts has a DTS track, there will be no sound...
  9. bibi-phoque

bibi-phoque Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Until Tsmuxer is able to patch a DTS stream, I will use the AVCHD solution. Download MultiAVCHD, get a empty HD formated with FAT32, select the m2ts file and execute to replicate the Blu Ray structure on the HD. 100% compatibility for VC-1, TrueHD and DTS-HD.
  10. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Then you'll have to Always Transcode to avoid the large black bar/screen positioning problem..
  11. bibi-phoque

bibi-phoque Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is that for VC-1 file only?
  12. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Sorry, are you still discussing mkv-conversions with mkv2vob ? I didn't think it would even process VC-1-type files ?

For any mkv, if you use the AVCHD method, you'll get a re-positioned picture if you don't always transcode IIRC.
  13. bibi-phoque

bibi-phoque Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No MKV, I rip my BluRay myself, so it is untouched m2ts. The only way to play the ripped m2ts with a VC-1 video stream is to use the AVCHD solution.
  14. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Ahh yes, sorry, you're in the same boat as me then. I completely bypass mkv's to get the full AVCHD support that running .m2ts files through multiAVCHD gives me...
  15. bibi-phoque

bibi-phoque Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly... When my m2ts is AC3 and Video other than VC-1, I just copy the file to the internal PS3 HD (using PMS). When the m2ts has a TrueHD track, I use tsmuxer to downconvert it to AC3 (takes 10 min), and then copy it to the internal PS3 HD.
    For all the other format (DTS, DTS-HD, VC-1) that the PS3 doesn't support in "file mode" playback, I just use the AVCHD solution. Works perfect.

What is sad is that the PS3 can play everything. However Sony put a lot of restrictions when playing in file mode (not disk).
    My only hope is that Sony will not block the AVCHD solution in a future firmware....
  16. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    I very much doubt they can/will block it since it's a standard way for video cameras to store their data in that AVCHD format.

The restrictions are mostly due to licensing restrictions/costs, especially where DTS is involved..
  17. Stinger69

Stinger69 Member

Ratings:
    +58
    I have converted quite a few DTS 1.5meg tracks to full rate Dolby Digital 640kps using eac3to, and the resultant quality is really very good indeed. I have found the difference almost impossible to pick up. Your experience may vary though depending on source quality, equipment, ears etc!

Andy
  18. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,881
    OP doesnt want to convert them though. If he did MKV2VOB would do this anyway
  19. Stinger69

Stinger69 Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Good point.

Andy
  20. bibi-phoque

bibi-phoque Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was using eac3to (for DTS and DTS-hd) until I discovered the AVCHD solution...I'm not a purist but I do hear a difference between AC3 and DTS, and it's a shame to convert it down when you know the PS3 can handle it...
  21. fugueness

fugueness Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How how would one go about adding subtitles (.srt) while keeping audio and video untouched, and then using AVCHD?
  22. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    If you're streaming, read the Media Guide, about half-way down...
  23. fugueness

fugueness Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not streaming, just planning on copying to the PS3 hard drive or using an external USB drive plugged into the PS3.

The bluray I'd like to subtitle and playback has DTS-HD MA audio.
  24. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Then read the section about AVCHD...

The only way you'll get what you're asking for is via .m2ts playback under an AVCHD folder, i.e. playing back a full Blu-ray...

You can't achieve that via copying to the internal HDD..
  25. fugueness

fugueness Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got it. Now how do I add subtitles (.srt) via the AVCHD method? The guide you linked only talks about subtitles for MKV's.
  26. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Hmm, not sure about that, load up tsMuxer and see if there's anything useful in that app...

Hasn't your AVCHD, well, your .m2ts files got the subtitles included ? I know most of the ones i've used have...if they have then they should be selectable when you playback the AVCHD folder..
  27. fugueness

fugueness Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, the original disc didn't have subs, so I'd like to use an external subtitle .srt file. I know you can include it using mkvmerge when you merge your audio and video streams, but then I'm not sure how you go from the .mkv (with DTS-HD MA) to a playable format on the PS3 without losing anything.
  28. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    what do you have at the moment ? MKV or .m2ts file?
  29. fugueness

fugueness Member

Ratings:
    +0
    .m2ts ripped from the bluray.
    I could use tsmuxer to add the .SRT file, but then I guess I'd have to burn to a BD50 to play it back.

Or I can rip the .m2ts to .mkv and the audio to flac using eac3to. Would the PS3 process flac and send LPCM to my receiver?

Any ideas?
  30. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Add the srt using tsMuxer, then just create an AVCHD output from it...