Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mkv files on my LG tv. unsupported audio format

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Media Players' started by bulletmagnet, Feb 11, 2010.

1. bulletmagnet

bulletmagnet Member

Ratings:
    +157
    Hi, just purchased my Lg429500 tv which plays divx and mkv files through the usb port . I removed my xtreamers external hdd and connected it up to the tv. Sure enough it plays every file my xtreamer does but the mkv files play superbly but on screen i get the unsupported audio format message.
    Does anyone know a way around this?
  2. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +333
    Get medioinfo and see what type of audio is it. I'll guess its DTS audio which the LG doesn't support as not licenced. The Xtreamer can downsample DTS over HDMI to the same TV. The way around it would be to convert the audio to a format the LG does support.
  3. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,763
    You should check the manual of the SL9500 TV and see what audio formats it supports.

Worst case scenario you'd have to re-encode the audio into something it will play & mux into a new video. There are one or two tools out there that automate this intended for game consoles mostly like XenonMKV will take an x264/MKV and give you an x264/MP4 with AAC stereo audio track.

Popcornhour audio converter also is another option.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. bulletmagnet

bulletmagnet Member

Ratings:
    +157
    i just wanted to use the hdd instead of bringing the xtreamer down from upstairs

is there any of these programs work on mac osx?
  5. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,763
    I dont know of any that do, those apps are basically just encoding audio and repacking video in another container, almost all related OSX apps I know of are encoders for handling video which is what you dont want as conversion would take hours instead of minutes.

Even the manual tools I'm not sure are available you'd need
    mkv demux tool to extract audio track
    AC3/DTS conversion program to turn audio track into MP3 or something your TV can handle
    mkvtoolnix to merge new MKV video (is available under OSX).

If you want to quickly make your videos playable on the LG TV, getting hold of a copy of Windows and using bootcamp or virtual PC (Parallels) would be the fastest way of going about it.
  6. bulletmagnet

bulletmagnet Member

Ratings:
    +157
    thanks for the help guys
  7. reinholt

reinholt Member

Ratings:
    +1
    They announced at the CES2011 that LG struck a deal with DTS and the support is on the way for the connected devices. So perhaps this issue will be cleared with the upcoming firmware updates.
    Source: http://hiddenwires.co.uk/resourcesnews2011/news20110117-03.html

Edit: Until then you can also use VLC player to convert the audio tracks.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011
  8. sactownsav

sactownsav Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip!... Will I lose any video quality or (3d-ness) by running my mkv through XenonMKV??

Thanks again for the help.
  9. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,763
    I don't know, never used it with a 3D MKV file it might mess with it or might not. XenonMKV has been abandoned by it's developers so Rebox.net is a suitable replacement.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. sactownsav

sactownsav Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I didnt lose 3d, but im wondering if it re-encodes the video, mabey losing some quality? I dont know, do you lose any quality?...
    Thanks for the newer program, trying that one out as we speak.
  11. bkrmaadhav

bkrmaadhav Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I used XenonMKV to convert an MKV file with DTS. It actually converted that file into mp4 files and the video started to get slower when I played it on my LG LED TV. The quality of the video is also effected. I am now looking for any other options to convert the DTS into a format that my tv supports.
  12. reinholt

reinholt Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Have you tried VLC player for that? (ctrl+R to access the dialog) You can leave video intact and the format as mkv, just convert audio inside the mkv from dts to mp3 or aac.
    Worked pretty good for me.

You can also use PS3Mediaserver on your pc to convert the audio channel while streaming (you need lan cable for 1080p videos as wifi will not be fast enough). You must also configure the output format a bit for LG as it is prepared for a PS3 by default and that makes the LG set a bit confused :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. bkrmaadhav

bkrmaadhav Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I will try the VLC solution and let you know the result.
  14. bkrmaadhav

bkrmaadhav Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried to convert this in VLC. When I did ctrl+R I get an option to convert but the end result is an mp4/ps/mpg etc. The destination file extension cannot be chosen as mkv. This took around 8 hours to convert. The mp4 file is half the size of the original mkv.The video and audio quality are good but unfortunately, the video breaks in between and starts from the beginning when I run it on my LG TV. I am not sure how I can retain the mkv file extension.
    I am using windows 7 professional and the latest VLC Player.
    Any help regarding keeping the file extension same would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks.
  15. deblee

deblee Member

Ratings:
    +140
    On my LG TV I was advised to use a program written for PS3 called MKV2VOB and that works, it converts the file to .mpg.
    You can choose to keep resolution etc and all it does is change DTS to AC3. Takes a while though:(
    You still get the "unsupported audio" message pop up but this goes off after a few seconds & the film plays in glorious DD 5.1:smashin:
  16. reinholt

reinholt Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'll check later on what settings I used. But 8 hours is too long. Before "Start" under "Edit selected profile" did you check "Keep original video track" under video codec tab? When you check it, all it does is work on audio, and that shouldnt take long. I think it took less than 10min for me for a 1080p movie file:)
  17. bkrmaadhav

bkrmaadhav Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the option "keep original Video" and the conversion was very fast. Unfortunately I could not select an mkv extension for the output. I selected mp4. When tried to play this on the tv, it says invalid file.
    Could you please check your settings and send me the same.
    Many thanks.
  18. reinholt

reinholt Member

Ratings:
    +1
    What I did was copypaste the source line to destination and just changed the filename.
    Under settings you can choose mkv as encapsulation.
    Video track keep.
    Audio track to AC3.
  19. sactownsav

sactownsav Member

Ratings:
    +0

I just want to say that VLC method worked for me and is by far superior to rebox or xenonmkv thank you for the tip..

ON second thought, I just saw that it shrunk a 9 gig movie to 3.13 gigs.... is that possible without touching the video??
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  20. viavia

viavia Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi...this method is work for me too!! i can watch mkv movie on my LG tv. but the only problem is, the subtitle is not added to the file. can help?
  21. kkee17

kkee17 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, I have VLC media player and I'm trying to figure out how to convert the audio only and leave the HD video intact for my LG 42" lk550. I believe the file is DTS, so it's unsupported. If anyone can send me a step-by-step for dummies on how to convert the audio to a supported format , I would be extremely grateful.

My e-mail is kkee17@hotmail.com

Thank you very much,

Kyle
  22. nheather

nheather Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,204
    I have a similar problem with my Sony BD Player. Plays mkvs and MP4s fine from USB but will not stream them - it says as much in the manual (not in the pre-sales literature though).

For the Sony at least it is a deliberate restriction, and I think it is their way to fight fim piracy.

Cheers,

Nigel
  23. smileman

smileman Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i've also got a Mac and LG TV and wondering if VLC player or handbrake is a better option? handbrake is quoting about 8 hours to convert just the audio on a 5.86GB .mkv file.

thanks.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  24. Johev

Johev Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you for the information. I have used your method with the VLC and I ended up with a *.ps file that was about 1gb smaller (from 10,9 to 9,37Gb).

It was strange because I chose the output to be a *.MKV file. Nevertheless I renamed the extension to MKV, saved it on my HDD connected to the TV and no apparent loss in video quality. It also took my laptop (not a netbook, but a CULV CPU (SU4100 - 1,3Ghz dual core)) about 10 min to convert the entire movie (Avatar 1080p), so I guess it must have had only done the audio part for sure.

Thanks for the tip on how to solve this annoying issue. Its is a pity we need to do that for almost every file, as everybody is using the DTS to encode Audio.

I hope LG would release an update to the firmware to solve this.
  25. mwoonkey

mwoonkey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    heres what I sent to LG

To whom it may concern, I own a 60" smart TV and while trying to play DTS audio through a usb drive connected to my TV... I get an error on the screen saying "audio not supported".

I am able to play the content through something like a "sony PS3" or "microsoft XBOX360", I was hoping that after spending over $2000 on a TV it may have supported the codecs like the "hisense 32" I have in my bedroom that I paid less than $400 a year before I bought the 60" LG smart TV.

I understand that there may be licensing laws restricting us of using DTS audio through the LG TV but, couldnt we simply have an update that would allow us to have an audio passthrough so we could use an external DTS decoder which many of us own.
    This passthrough technology has been available for well over 10 years now with older DVD playes.

At this stage like 1000s of other people I would not recommend LG smart TVs to anyone just based on this one issue that Samsung already support out of the box.

please help
    Leo Peka
  26. mwoonkey

mwoonkey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    next email below

I am not happy with the reply given as it has not answered my question just a diversion. prior to sending my email I had already completed the latest software update which is all the support I was given from LG (see below)

"Dear Leo,

Thank you for emailing LG Electronics Australia and New Zealand Pty Ltd.

We appreciate your concern and your comments. You may try a doing a software update from our website however it is not guaranteed it will work due to hardware and software limitations.
    To complete a software update please visit this website:"

I am not happy at all after spending over $2000 on a 60" smart TV that wont play DTS coded videos, NOT SMART AT ALL if you ask me.
    If I had a choice I would ask for my money back so I could buy a competitors TV that supports DTS even as budget as "hisense" that would have saved me $1000 or more.

there are thousands of people asking the same questions on many many forums with the same result and the same dissapointment
    how can something so small to satisfy many customers be worth tainting LGs name in possible future revenue

surely there must be something that can be done, or someone that can help with this

kind regards
    Leo Peka
  27. azuli

azuli Member

Ratings:
    +0
    anything new about the firmware update??
  28. scrapbook

scrapbook Active Member

Ratings:
    +441
    IS this mainly an issue with HD rips? As I assume most DVD rips are Dolby Digital arent they?
  29. rodgthedodge

rodgthedodge Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried using this program to view the mkv file, i have just got an LG 42 3d smart tv, it also gives me the same error, NOW, if I play the same file via the blue ray player it is fine. I have open the file in MKVMERGE and de-selected the sound file and then added an MP4 sound file(that came with the with mkv movie file), it works fine on the tv via the usb from my hdd now.
  30. azuli

azuli Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @ rodgthedodge.Hey there,can you tell me how much time does it take to do the the conversion?from dts to mp4 sound in a lets say 8gb mkv file