MK X12 Subwoofer

MELMK

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

At the moment I have 1 X12, this sub gives a great quality of bass, but with movies I miss the very low frequenties.
Maybe a second X12 can help ?

Anyone has made the step from 1 to 2 times X12 ?

Thanks

Have you measured to know you aren’t getting deep bass?

I’ve measured two in my room and it was getting good output down to the 15Hz I tested but really the main reason to get two is to even the bass response which if you have a room issue makes a significant difference.

Could be you have a bass null in that spot in the lower frequencies which kills the lower frequencies at which point another one could help. Have you moved around the room with a lower frequency playing to hear how much output changes?

This is the measurement after running Dirac , only the X12 on my MLP. t's really not so bad.
But if I compare the low bass in movies with my previous svs subs the X12 gives me less ultra low bass.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2021-07-31 om 19.44.56.png
    Schermafbeelding 2021-07-31 om 19.44.56.png
    380.3 KB · Views: 182
But my main question was : is there someone who has made the step from 1 X12 to 2 X12? :)

I know it was but the graph would read better if you change the steps.

Anyway. Adding another won’t necessarily give you more bass per se. A sub can only produce what it’s designed for and adding another won’t make it produce more bass.
Adding a second can smooth the response if positioned accordingly. Looking at timing can also help around the crossover point, which is were you appear to have a little issue.

Last edited:
Drops like stone around 65hz. Doesn`t look good. "Only the X12 on my MLP". Was this typo?

Do you have your X12 on front corner as is often recommended? Is it in same same spot as the SVS you had before if same house?

Drops like stone around 65hz. Doesn`t look good. "Only the X12 on my MLP". Was this typo?

Do you have your X12 on front corner as is often recommended? Is it in same same spot as the SVS you had before if same house?
Its on the right corner, same as the svs.
but this morning I was at someone who has 2 X12, That was AWESOME !!
The bass was tight , deep and hard :)

Its on the right corner, same as the svs.
but this morning I was at someone who has 2 X12, That was AWESOME !!
The bass was tight , deep and hard :)

Not sure how different room your friend has vs. yours. X12 is quite old model with special type of design. They weren`t after the ULF stuff certainly, i think M&K subs are known from the "slam" more.

That response doesn`t look correct. @Conrad any comment? 🤔 If you have saved that one then do as Dodge said "change the graph to show 5db increments." and post it again.

Two subs colocated in theory mean a 6db bump in output. Placed apart should give a more even response thought the room but you will get less improvement in outright spl. The theory is sub 30hz frequencies are more likely to get the 6db increase (even if the subs are apart) due to wavelength.
The reason to ask you to check sweeps with more power is to actually see what your current sub can do in the position it is in. If you do a sweep at 105 it may tell you if the sub is running out of steam and compressing at low frequencies (or it will highlight protection or any eq applied on your chosen sub) and it will also tell you if you have a room null more power isn't going to fix. You can do the same sweeps in the position second proposed sub position and this may tell you something.
If you are talking about bass hitting you hard then it's most likely frequencies higher than what you expect so I would be a bit more concerned at the drop at 50 than sub 20 from your graph. I presume that is a raw sweep with no eq applied? A sweep with the main speakers included may tidy up that area in your setup.
These are just suggestions of things to check to understand the issue. If you have the money burning a hole in your pocket an extra x12 (or 2 similar standard subs) will be better than one

Yeah, I think you're on to something @Gasp3621.

Those dips above 50Hz will be robbing you of the slam your friend probably has. Duals might fix it but you should probably measure to find out. If you measure the subs in each available location with a timing reference you can use the time alignment tool in REW to see what response you'll get. If you don't know how to do that just shout and I can talk you through it.

Adding more of the same subs will give you more output if colocated, and smoother response if positioned correctly. What it won't do is give you more low end extension, so if that's your goal you might want to think about other options.

@MELMK
As you have REW, why don't you run its Room Simulation to get a basic idea as to the effect of 2 subs in your room? :)

I would run REW and do a compression test. First measure the sub with the mic right at the driver and at 75db. Then measure the sub at the mlp in 5db increments (I think this is what others are also suggesting) starting at 75db upto 105 db.

Compare the close mic response to the mlp response, and when you overlay all the responses, see if the mlp response shape changes at all at higher spl's. If your 2nd sub would go in a different spot in your room, I'd also do the above in that position. If you intend to stack your subs then you don't need to do that.

Once you have those results overplayed, you'll be able to estimate with a degree of certainty what a 2nd sub will bring to the party. REW toom sim should also help provide a little clarity around what the 2nd stacked sub would do to the response at the mlp.

As stated above try moving the X12 slightly and adjust accordingly.
The X12 subwoofer is a professional grade subwoofer used in move and music studios all over the world. We regularly install dual pairs and run 4 L&R corner loaded X12’s. Our bass response is immense.

The SVS will give you a lower bass output but loose detail and precision compared to an X12.
Rich@SeriouslyCinema

Isn't number 1 the Sub only with Dirac? Not quite sure what you have posted on number 6 as not sure of your language/labels.? Looks more like a front channel with only the sub playing, which then explains it's shape as it has a crossover filter and also some phase issues? Nothing to do with the X12.

Definitely an advocate for 2 subs if you can afford/fit them in. You're probably not going to gain much extra extension if that's your goal as the response is clearly how the X12 is designed and majors in other areas.

Probably be an idea to post your response without DIrac too.

Last edited:
Hi,
I haven’t made the step from 1 to 2 X12 but have had 2 x X12 in my cinema room from the off. I had the whole M&K system calibrated by Steve Kemp, an experienced ISF calibration expert. Working with 2 of these subs is awesome!! The opening sequence of Blade Runner 2049 is like an out of body experience!! You can feel the bass travelling through you!

Hi,
I haven’t made the step from 1 to 2 X12 but have had 2 x X12 in my cinema room from the off. I had the whole M&K system calibrated by Steve Kemp, an experienced ISF calibration expert. Working with 2 of these subs is awesome!! The opening sequence of Blade Runner 2049 is like an out of body experience!! You can feel the bass travelling through you!
i went from 2 x12’s to 4 x12’s…frightening stuff 😍

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom