Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission M33

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by caramelsoul, Feb 26, 2007.

1. caramelsoul

caramelsoul Member

Ratings:
    +0
    New member to this forum and first post. I have a pair on Mission M33 speakers and am looking for a decent amp for the price. I have been looking at the Marantz PM4001 which i can pick up for under £100. I was wondering if this was adequate for driving these speakers. Also if anyone else has this combo, do they have a good synergy.

Iv not really got my head around what amp match speakers based on power yet. More reading required me thinks...;)
  2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon New Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Dont worry too much about matching for power, the missions will be fine on just about any amp, to little power is a problem but as long us your not under 30w.

They shouldnt be hard to drive around 50w will be more then enough for good volume, just look for an amp that sounds good, there are some good second hand deals around for amp around that price.
  3. caramelsoul

caramelsoul Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so i bought the Marantz PM4001 to go with my new Mission M33 speakers. I do not have posession of either yet...so my next question is what plugs are on the back of the speakers and how many? A picture would be useful as well. I cant seem to find any online, also im at work so some sites blocked.
  4. Nobber22

Nobber22 Active Member

Ratings:
    +126
    Both the Marantz and the Missions have 2 sets of speaker outputs/binding posts. I suspect your next question will be about bi-wiring? :D
  5. caramelsoul

caramelsoul Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh, you know me too well Nobber...;)

So, bi-wiring. Will it be beneficial for me to do this? I havent done it before, but i assume its just a simple case of an extra two cables.
  6. Nobber22

Nobber22 Active Member

Ratings:
    +126
    Yup, an extra length is all you'll need. I on the other hand experimented between single and biwiring my Mission m73s. Couldn't tell the difference. :boring:

I thought I got an improvement when I replaced the metal jumpers on the speakers with 2 inches of speaker cable, but I really just liked how clever I was and how much cooler they now look. :rolleyes:
  7. caramelsoul

caramelsoul Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well i might as well just order enough cable and banana plugs to do it. Im going to order the QED Silver Anniversary cable and Airloc banana plugs. Dont really know much about speaker cable but they look all right....unless someone can recommend something better for the price.

From reading, i take it i have to take out the links between the Sub and tweeter on each speaker and then just wire it up?
  8. Nobber22

Nobber22 Active Member

Ratings:
    +126
    That's the bunny! :smashin: You'll also need to pop out the small plastic bungs on the back of each speaker terminal to allow the Airlocks to "plug straight in".

I use Airlock plugs with QED copper cables. Some speakers and amps get a bit unruly with silver cables, but your setup should be fine. Enjoy! :clap: