Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission 770 V Freedom speakers

Discussion in 'Hi Fi Systems & Separates' started by leeh1971, Mar 12, 2010.

1. leeh1971

leeh1971 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just picked up a pair of Mission Freedom 770 V speakers in my local cash generator for £34.95 :D and they're mint!! Not heard these speakers before, but i believe they were flagship Mission speakers back in the day and have a very high power rating. I'm about to run them with a Technics SUV X600 amp and a Technics SL1210 to play my old vinyl ;) anyone had any experience with these speakers?
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  2. karkus30

karkus30 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,278
    Well they often say if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all, but you asked.

I can't remember the 770V, just the S so there might be an improvement but those early Mission speakers were pretty poor. It was a very coloured sound, pinched and nasily. £30.00 is about right, that's what we used to sell them for as part of a bedroom setup. Much better off with a pair of wharfedale diamonds.

Sorry, I know you probably don't want to spend much money but there are better speakers for the price.
  3. leeh1971

leeh1971 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I think £35 is amazing for such a specification. I'm not sure we are talking about the same speakers. Mission freedom 770 V were Mission's flagship speakers of 1986 and cost £700 new. Wharfdale Diamond's are good, but a new speaker and fairly basic by internal design. these are 22 years old and the technology used inside them is very different to most modern speakers of today....even the expensive ones. But thanks for the feedback and advice :clap:
  4. sweetbeats

sweetbeats Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Sounds like a decent deal to me,retro hifi is cool :)
    Have you hooked the missions up yet?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. cunny678

cunny678 Active Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I think you may be confusing them with the original Mission 770's of late 1970's. This one:- Google Image Result for http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/images/770.jpg

Heard these in Laskys in Manchester about this time and they were amazing for the money. To expensive for me at the time so I ended up with a pair of the original 700's (still got them in the garage) great sound for the money!

Never heard the Freedoms so I dont know if they were as good a speaker! Do yours look like these but just have a black driver rather than translucent as in the picture?
  6. leeh1971

leeh1971 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, Still not hooked them up, but if they're as mint inside as they are outside, they should sound great!!
  7. leeh1971

leeh1971 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have to post some pics, but they're definetely from the 1986/7 and late model speakers. They actually dont say 770 anywhere on them, just freedom and they're not the ones in the picture from the 70's. Thanks.
  8. Gaspode_TWD

Gaspode_TWD Member

Ratings:
    +53
  9. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Take the grill off.

If they've got a flat, white front baffle, they're the early models.

If they've got a black front baffle with the mid / bass driver set slightly forward, it's the later models.

£35 sounds like about right for the speakers. They won't be the highest of fi (like any of the budget - mid range missions of that vintage) but partnered with the right source / amp they should make a nice noise.
  10. cunny678

cunny678 Active Member

Ratings:
    +402
    As per previous post, I think the sound quality of the original version was exceptional and was the reason I got into "Hi-Fi" in the first place. Incidently, I think they were far from budget (their top speaker I think) as I seem to recall they were over £350 forty years ago:eek:

That would put them at over £1100 in todays money (excluding technology, the far east, competition, synthetics, cheaper transportation etc) - begining to sound like a Monthy Python sketch:D

By the way I still have my original Mission 700's (in the garage) and they still sound pretty good today - certainly not as bright as most modern day budget speakers.

Chris:smashin:
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
  11. a8ch

a8ch Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Oh yes, had a pair myself after hearing my mates through sondek, meridian 101/105s. Incredible sound. Back in the day next logical upgrade was linn isobariks.
  12. cunny678

cunny678 Active Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Purchased via a remortgage no doubt:D
  13. KWB1

KWB1 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Do you want to sell them mate :thumbsup:
  14. alexs2

alexs2 Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,710
    Hi there...this isn't a sales area.

If you want to place an ad,please do so in the classifieds and direct people there.
  15. KWB1

KWB1 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Sorry - will do :thumbsup:

Ken
  16. Beobloke

Beobloke Member

Ratings:
    +67
    Well personally I think that range of Mission loudspeakers were the last decent loudspeakers they made, and the 770 Freedoms were actually second from top, below the 780 Argonauts. These were floorstanders and used two of the bass drivers used in the 770s.

I think you did well for £35! :smashin:
  17. sunbeamgls

sunbeamgls Member

Ratings:
    +2
    [​IMG][/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

These are the 770 Freedoms.

Sometimes they're call the Mk V, but I can only think of the white fronted Mk1 and Mk2, the very different 770 S and then this one, which is only 4 in total. I've owned all versions - the S was the runt of the litter, the Mk2 to me was the most fun, but these Freedoms are by far the most "accurate" sounding - much more neutral, fast, well balanced and with superb imaging.
  18. cunny678

cunny678 Active Member

Ratings:
    +402
    It was the original 770's as pictured in post 3 that were the real flagship missions of the range and IMO probably the best speakers they ever made.

Some cracking speakers from that era! I had a pair of celestion 66 studio monitors - staggering bass and great sound. Always regretted selling them :)
  19. cunny678

cunny678 Active Member

Ratings:
    +402
    If they look like the ones in Post 3 they were the flagship of the range at the time and in my opinion the best speakers mission ever made.
  20. Electro58

Electro58 Member

Ratings:
    +44
    I had a pair of the Mission 770 mk1's with the see through bass driver and white baffle then I bought the later 770 freedom's but mine had a silver dappled front baffle with matching triangular reinforced silver fibreglass stands and black bass driver .
    I loved both although they sounded very different to each other , and I preferred the freedoms especially after I bought the Mission 776 and 777 pre / power amps to match them . I still have the 776/777 amps in the loft but unfortunately I sold the 770's many years ago .
    It looks like you bought yourself a bit of a bargain for £35:smashin:

I just found this picture of the 770 freedoms the same as mine .
    Google Image Result for http://3.bp***************/_Joow7uBCK_E/Sz5YrUwN4BI/AAAAAAAAB1A/pCKXt41X0gc/s400/fronts.jpg
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
  21. superbeatpusher

superbeatpusher New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, just join the AVForums and and have just got into the old 80's Mission range. Having recently re-foamed two pairs of Misson 707's (which are excellent) I bought a rare pair of Mission 770 Freedoms on Ebay. I must say they are a lot of speaker for the money and they need the right amp, as they can be quite crispy clear on the top end. However, I've matched them up with my old Denon 350II and they sound awesome. Must say that the 707's are still on my top ten list of great design in looks & sound. :)
  22. KWB1

KWB1 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Try and find a pair of argonauts - they are so superior to the freedoms

ken
  23. taiko

taiko Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I used to own a pair of Mission 770 mk 1 powered by Nytech CTA 252 and it sounded awesome to my ears. Unfortunately, I sold on the Mission but still have the Nytech in the loft.
  24. superbeatpusher

Ratings:
    +0
    Currently running my 770 Freedoms & my 707's on A&B channels powered by my Denon 350II in a knocked through lounge/dining room....and they sound great together. The bass end of the 770's is really full and complements the 707's really well. Very enjoyable & clear mid ranges too :)
    Been looking for some MK1 argonauts and they super rare...but found some in the US, but not sure whether to scratch that itch and buy them??? Very keen to hear them though!
  25. superbeatpusher

Ratings:
    +0
    Well...I am new to the hi-fi thing, but I can honestly recommend a pair of Mission 770 Freedom speakers & an Audiolab 8000a. Just bought the 8000a off fleebay and I am truly amazed. I know my Denon 350II wasn't the best, but when I plugged the 8000a in and listened to it slowly warm up...just great! :D