1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

missing channels

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by squid, May 21, 2001.

1. squid

squid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    my brother is having a problem with his sky.

some of the chanels do not whant to work (you switch to them and nothing ) this has always been the case from the moment of the install . the installers changed the box several times, changed the wire changed the dish sveral times, positioned the dish on a diferent wall .

after all this the insallers just left saying they had no idear what the problem was and couldn't fix it

every time they changed somthing diferent chanels stoped woking and the chanels that did not work started to work. some of the chanels that do work tend to stop working at times and work at others as well

i keep teling him to ring sky and demand that somthing be done but he dose not want to rock the boat.

as anyone seen somthing like this before

thanks
    simon
  2. PoochJD

PoochJD Member

Ratings:
    +1,916
    Squid,

Contact the installers, and demand to speak to the management! No installer should be allowed to get away with this kind of shoddy installation!

Insist on either:-

a) a fuly working, and properly installed system, at no further cost to yourself, or

b) they remove all installation work, and give your brother a full-and complete refund, and then get installed by another firm. Afterwards, report the company to the Trading Standards Office, and give them the full details on why you think they need "investigating".

Hope this is of some help.

Pooch
  3. squid

squid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    personaly if it was me i would have just blown my top and exploded . but afraid the brother is a wimp and as long as sky one is working he is happy

i just can't get him to open his gob . i told him to ring sky and tell them if they didn't get it sorted he would f**k it off but he just sits there and lets them **** on him from a great hight

just thought i would see if anyone has seen a problem like this .the only thing i can see that could be the problem is there is a tree across from his flat

the dish tends to point in the direction of the top of the tree i told the installers that some chanels tend to have a stronger signal so could breech the tree while other stop in there tracks . could the channels that work fale if a a thicker part of the tree sways in it's path (in a storm some channels work when others quit)

could this be the problem . i mentioned it to the installers and was told that that had nothing to do with it
  4. PoochJD

PoochJD Member

Ratings:
    +1,916
    Squid,

They're feeding you and your brother a ton of garbage! Weak signals can AND will get cancelled-out/deflected by thick tree branches.

If your brother won't do something, maybe you should act on his behalf. The longer you leave it, the easier it will be for SKY to fob you off, and say it ain't there problem.

Pooch
  5. GarryF

GarryF Member

Ratings:
    +153
    Trees will cause problems as I discovered last week. I had to make a 10 foot pole last autum when I got sky digital and at the time the installer said there might be a problem with leaves in the spring and he was right. So bigger pole time.

I'm getting the same as you describe, some channels work, most don't.

If you go into service menu then option 4 then 6 you get signal strength and quality, I have 60% strength & 0-10% quality
  6. squid

squid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i think i am finaly getting through to him

he is going to try and get it sorted .

just hope it works out for him

thanks for the replys guys
    simon
  7. paiger

paiger Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Digital TV is not like analogue. It either works or it doesn't. You get an effect called 'digital cliff' where the signal falls below a certain level and you lose the whole thing. It's either perfect or not working. Of course, in reality, you get blocking and artifacts with a marginal signal but unless it is up to a certain level, the picture will be unwatchable or fail. Sattelite works on a line of sight principle which is why alignment is critical so obstructions can cause problems. Wether a tree would cause that many problems is open to question.

I would get another firm to check the installation and if they get it working, report the others to trading standards and seek compensation.

Steve