1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing channels (eg Five USA) on Freesat list

Discussion in 'Freesat' started by INXS, Aug 16, 2009.

1. INXS

INXS Member

Ratings:
    +30
    does anyone have any insider knowledge on future availability of channels such as Fiver, Five USA & Dave that are currently missing from the freesat list?

just bought a LG 37LF7700 in order to cut down on boxes / wiring etc (as well as get a great sound & picture obviously!) but I'm concerned that I might STILL have to have a freeview box to get some of my fave channels!

While we're at it, are Channel 4 / Film 4 et al due to start broadcasting in HD on Freesat?

Best regards one and all.

PS - my God, I've noticed that Sky Sports News isn't on there either. What HAVE I done?!?!
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  2. Starburst

Starburst Member

Ratings:
    +1,037
    DAVE is a PAY channel on Satellite and Cable, no sign of that changing anytime soon simply due to the poor advertising market right now.
    Fiver and FiveUS are not carried on 2D which is a requirement for the major channels to meet rights issues with content suppliers, this may change in due course if more 2D capacity opens up.
    CH4HD at this time is still contracted to SKY only for Dsat, rumours indicate the end of the year for it to switch to FTA but then again 2D capacity and the extra expense when turning down SKY resources may still influence a launch date. Forget Film4 anytime soon for the same reason plus the failure to secure F4 on DTT HD at launch.

Combining Freeview and Freesat is a very good option especially as any Freesat TV will have a Freeview tuner in it:)
  3. INXS

INXS Member

Ratings:
    +30
    you may be right fella, shouldn't be too much of an issue.

btw, what's 2D?
  4. Snapman

Snapman Member

Ratings:
    +26
    And neither is News Multiscreen on BBC, although they do have Sports Multiscreen :confused:

David
  5. BigBee

BigBee Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi

I've just fell into a similar kind of 'trap' myself.

Had a Foxsat HDR installed last Saturday and wrongly assumed that I'd get all the channels I had been receiving through Freeview plus many more with Freesat.

It's sort of OK as I kept my aerial connected and the TV's got freeview built in but I can't deny I'm a tad disapointed as I really wanted to avoid constantly switching between appliances. Would have been nice to just turn the Foxsat on and have everything through that but hey ho, nothing's ever as simple as it seems is it. :confused:
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,070
    Astra 2D is one the normally 4 satellites (A,B.C and D - C is not there at the moment it's gone on hol :D to replace a failed one elsewhere), located at 28.2E and owned by CES Astra, it also has a very close neighbour Eurobird 1 at 28.5E. All these are close enough to be recieved by a single dish and lnb.

Astra 2D is different from the others because it has a narrow beam focussed on the UK so is harder to recieve in Europe. Because of this UK PSB broadcasters allow transmissions from 2D to be in the clear and viewable on any platform including a freeview box. It's a small bird with a relatively small nos of transponders so is pretty well full.

Because of this a number of channels although free are not on 2D, as a result they are encrypted and need a sky viewing card and normally a sky box to watch. An expired viewing card or a one off payment of £20.00 for a freesat from sky card allows these to be viewed for free
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  7. Clippy

Clippy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry to jump in on this one. I have just junked Sky and replaced them with a Foxsat HDR. I noticed the slot in the front, where do I get the sky card holder? I assume that is what is needed. Thanks.
  8. Lakeuk

Lakeuk Member

Ratings:
    +22
    There isn't one
  9. williamus

williamus Member

Ratings:
    +94
    Mr B - I think part of the problem is that many of the channels you're missing are either owned or under contract to Sky or Virgin which is why most of them are unlikely to appear on Freesat. Not really a problem for me as I don't mind boxes (actually I rather like them) and had my Sony Freeview DVD/HDR before the Humax. Now the Blu-ray player, the Humax and the Sony all go by HDMI into the Sony AV Amp and into the TV through one HDMI. Easy to organise and control with a decent remote. Amongst the channels you'll be missing (but have on Freeview) are:

Dave
    Dave Deja Vu
    Virgin 1
    Virgin 1+1
    Fiver
    Five US
    Sky Three
    Sky News
    Sky Sports News
    Yesterday
    Music - TMF
    Music - C4

I've "skipped" all the other channels on the Freeview so only these appear. Makes channel hopping so much easier!

Depending on your kit and set up, Freeview can produce a cleaner SD picture than Freesat.

Cheers
  10. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,070
    The slot in the box is a CI (Common Interface). This is designed to take a CAM (Conditional Interface Module). A viewing card goes into the CAM. Others report a Sky card will work in a Dragon Cam in a hdr but you need to occassionly put the card back in a working Sky box to keep it alive.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. BigBee

BigBee Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the reply.

It not so much of a problem to me as it is to the other half! The simpler the better and she doesn't really like having to use a couple of remote controls to just watch channels on either freeviaw / freesat.

I've got a PS3, 360 and the Foxsat all connected to a Denon amp then one HDMI to my TV. To change from free sat to freeview means switching the TV to it's own freeview then selecting a different input on the amp. I never listen to sound from the TV as it's a Sammy and frankly not good.

So no, it's not a HUGE deal just it would have been nice to just work from the Foxsat instead. I wasn't mislead by anyone or anything like that, I just assumed wrongly.
  12. Clippy

Clippy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the responce Graham, let me see if I have got this. If I buy a Dragon CAM and shove my old Sky card in, will this give me more channels in freesat mode? Is this setup just plug&play? Sorry for my stupidity but the wife likes her CSI..... Cheers.
  13. illingworth22

illingworth22 Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Or you can do what I just have....buy the Logitech Harmony One! :) It is soooo wife friendly she even dumped the Sky + remote.
  14. Ray_Woodward

Ray_Woodward Member

Ratings:
    +123
    Most of the services you refer to are encrypted (for copyright reasons) as the satellite capacity they currently use has a pan European footprint.

This situation will change gradually (as SES Astra replace the fleet (2011 - 2014).

Then *and only then* will they have the *option* to broadcast free to air (if they so choose).
  15. TheDazzle

TheDazzle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok let me get this right, there are different versions of freesat?
    I had freesat installed by Sky last year which involved a dish and sky box. I have recently updated my ancient TV and bought the LG 7700 as it had freesat HD built in so my thinking was that i could view the extra HD channels, gain some space in my lounge and maybe use the sky box elswhere. Now i've set up the new TV i can't find all of the channels (Five US as an example). So it leaves me thinking:
    1 - why is this not made clear anywhere?
    2 - how can there be more than one version of "freesat"? If different channels are included/excluded why not just call them different products?
    3 - is there a list anywhere that shows what channels are available with each box/provider?
  16. Stiggy

Stiggy Active Member

Ratings:
    +646
    You're right, it is confusing.

One system is Freesat from Sky which needs a Sky viewing card.

The other is freesat, which was setup by BBC and ITV to provide a Program Guide for some of the hundreds of free to view satellite channels.

If you follow this links you'll get a full list of channels on each. Hopefully channels like FiveUSA will appear on freesat in the future.
  17. TheDazzle

TheDazzle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply :)
    just one more question, is this also the case for freeview where it depends on the box you use or is there just one set of channels for that (I think I'm right in thinking that the number if channels available depends on the signal in each area)

thanks again :)
  18. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,070
    Freesat is a not for profit business jointly owned by the BBC and ITV. They provide an 8 day epg to broadcasters who transmit programmes without encryption and therefore can be received by any digital satellite tuner, these channels are known as Free To Air. There are thousands of such channels available with several hundred being transmitted from a group of satellites at 28.5/28.2 E. Any of these can pay Freesat to have their programme included in the Freesat epg - this is the only transmission that Freesat make.

All the free to air channels including those in the epg can be viewed by switching a freesat tuner to non freesat mode, in this mode it functions as a generic FTA stb.

List of FTA channels available from Astra2/Eurobird 1

Eurobird 1 (28.5°E) - frequencies - KingOfSat

Astra 2A / Astra 2B / Astra 2D (28.2°E) - frequencies - KingOfSat

Of course in this mode you don't get the epg just now and next prog info.

British UK PSB broadcasters for DRM reasons will only transmit in the clear from 1 satellite that has a narrow beam focussed pn the UK (Astra 2D). Astra 2D is full so some transmissions that would normally be free to air if on 2D are encrypted but remain free to watch these are known as Free To View these include Fiver, Five US, Sky 3, CH4 HD and some ITV regions.

Reception of these channels requires a sky box with a card but does not need a subscription. A suitable card can be purchased from Sky for a one off £20.00 or an expired subscription card will work. This is known as Freesat From Sky
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. dazmorph

dazmorph Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It has now been a year since i purchased my freesat box and yes you guessed it , still no fiver or five usa. Any new news on these freeview channels arriving on freesat yet? Yes this is very annoying and once again i like many assumed these channels and others would be on freesat.
  20. ciaran2506

ciaran2506 Member

Ratings:
    +34
    1- this is made clear on several forums such as this one, on sites such as joinfreesat and on the official freesat website
    2- freesat is a service put together by the BBC and ITV, mainly to provide to areas where freeview is poor. freesat from sky (FSFS) is a free service from sky allowing you to view their fta/ftv channels
    3- try googling freesat,freesat from sky, freeview comparison
  21. Youngest78

Youngest78 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Presuming that these channels are still not available on freesat (just been on the astra website and all of its information seems outdated, helpfully), is there any way of getting them on a Foxsat HDR?
  22. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,070
    Theretically yes but you need a cam that will support the latest freesat from sky cards and access to a working sky box to keep the card alive. Even then it will only work in non-freesat mode so not really worth the effort and expense.
  23. Youngest78

Youngest78 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thanks for clearing that one up!