1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miniholic's Home Cinema "The Miniplex"

Discussion in 'Members' Home Cinema Gallery' started by Miniholic, Apr 30, 2006.

1. miceri

miceri Member

Ratings:
    +65
    I think the 1st screening should be for all the workman that have put your project togther for you so neatly and quickly :thumbsup: .
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    I wish I could, but to be honest, I've got no complaints about the progress they have made so far. Two weeks ago it was just a concrete slab, and other than the window install - which we can't bring forward - its looking likely that the shell will be complete next week.:thumbsup: Just hope the weather holds out, as its been pretty rough around here the last couple of days.

Don't think they'd all fit in the house, never mind the cinema room.
  3. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    Bit of catching up to do with the updates, been a bit preoccupied over the past few days, anyway, here goes...

Thursday
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Friday
    [​IMG]
    Not a lot of work was done Friday, as the weather wasn't up to much.

But they did manage a destructive moment, knocking down the wall between the two front windows, as it was damaged while the roof trusses were being erected.
    [​IMG]

Sunday
    [​IMG]

The living room
    [​IMG]

The cinema room (not quite ready yet - this will be the screen wall)
    [​IMG]

Looking down the hallway
    [​IMG]

Brickwork
    [​IMG]

The loft/attic/warehouse
    [​IMG]

The sheets of plywood are for bracing the roof.

[​IMG]

It's such a shame that building reg's demand a staircase, otherwise this would have made a fantastic cinema room instead of the second bedroom.

Monday
    Back on track today. Took these photo's at lunchtime before leaving for work.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    A little more progress to report...

Monday

A couple from first thing this morning, showing yesterdays progress.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tuesday
    Only got photo's of the rear, but the front is at about the same stage.
    [​IMG]

The mugs are back.:D
    [​IMG]

The fascia board and guttering goes on.
    [​IMG]
  5. CFS

CFS Member

Ratings:
    +58
    It's certainly coming along nicely. Do you have an ETA of structural completion?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    The shell will be complete week commencing December 11th, as that's when the windows are beng installed - the roof will hopefully be tiled by the end of the week. So at least it will be secure and locked up over the Christmas break.

I've got some leave booked over Christmas, so will probably spend most of it clearing the site and doing a first jobs here and there ready for first fix and services being installed in the new year.
  7. rusty73

rusty73 Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Its coming along really nicely, did anyone notice the mugs have got together & had a little can of coke :eek: !?!?!?!?!?!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    Thanks Rusty. The mugs seem to like sitting up there for some reason, they go out a fair few times each day.:rolleyes: :D

The roofers have been in today putting insulation in, and the tiles have been delivered ready for tomorrow.:thumbsup: I'm just sorting out todays pictures, so I'll get them uploaded shortly.
  9. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    Ok then onto todays update.

The brickwork on the gable ends has been completed today, so that's another phase of the build complete.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the roofers have arrived. Today they have been installing the insulation in readiness for tiling the roof, which will hopefully be well on the way tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've spent the last few weeks searching for interior fittings, and have come across this site (www.charles-mason.co.uk) which has some nice contemporary door furniture. Anyone had any dealings with them?
  10. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    Just a quick update with a couple of shots taken tonight while having a tidy up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,056
    Your not allowed up there, get down now :rotfl:
  12. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    :rotfl:

It's a H&S issue. I've got to ensure its safe for the people I'm employing (I'm sure there's something like that in my employers liability insurance anyway:D).

Besides, I'm paying for it.:devil:
  13. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    The roofs finished.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Some great progress today, its starting to look like a house now.:smashin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished.:D
    [​IMG]

Cloaked verge tiles used instead of fascia boards front and rear.
    [​IMG]

Corner detail
    [​IMG]

Most of the climbing fra... erm... scaffolding is now down, so we can actually see the house properly for the first time...
    [​IMG]
    Think we need to do some tidying.:rolleyes:

And we can now actually walk through the front door.:)
    [​IMG]
  14. joffy1780

joffy1780 Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Looking really good now.
    It may be a trick of the camera,but your attic/loft looks like a bloody hangar.I would rent it out to Boeing.
    Why can't you put your cinema in there?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    It is pretty big (13m long) but I'd need a staircase to comply with building regs, and there isn't really room for one downstairs, so it'll be just used for storage. Bit of a waste really, but at least its usable, unlike normal roof trusses (and I won't have to fill the garage with junk:)).
  16. joffy1780

joffy1780 Member

Ratings:
    +82
    That's a shame :( .Does that mean it can only be used for storage and nothing else?
  17. invu2day

invu2day Member

Ratings:
    +4
    That's a shame. Is there no option of even a drop down staircase? By the way one of the best builds on here most definetely :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Atheist

Atheist Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Looks great, congrats.:thumbsup:
    Cant you have a staircase bilt using the exterior space instead of having one inside?... your attic seems a great space to waste.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    Thanks for the nice comments guys. :thumbsup:

It will have to be storage for now, but you never know.

I'm having a substantial drop down loft ladder, but for it to be converted to a habitable room this isn't good enough, it has to be a permanent staircase. Its daft really, as the loft ladder I'm having will be easier to use than a spiral staircase, which would be perfectly acceptable.

It won't be wasted, I'm sure it will be full in no time, I just took the view that it would be better to use attic trusses and have an easily accessible loft than use traditional loft that makes putting anything of a half decent size a challenge - I had to struggle to get the box for my Denon 3806 in my parents loft.

Besides, in a few years time I've always got the space up there if I do decide to extend. We did enquire about putting a bedroom and study in the attic when we were at the pre-planning stage, but the council's planner said no, although from talking to building control since, they couldn't see a reason why. My original plan was to have master bedroom with en-suite, a small study, and a store room upstairs.

I don't think an outside staircase would work to be honest, but I suppose I could convert it to a flat and rent it out, would be a big help towards the mortgage.:D
  20. andyturner28

andyturner28 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Looking good Ian. Looks a lot bigger now that it actually resembles a house. The pictures of the concrete slab before the walls went up made the plot look tiny, but now it's looking really nice. Such a shame you can't use the loft as the cinema though.

Andy.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    The slab did look a bit small, its hard to judge from the photo's but the plot is also wider than it looks. A friend was worried that I wouldn't get a car down the drive after seeing the pics, but there's plenty of room - as long as I don't buy a Bentley.:D

The roof also looks much steeper than it really is, its a 40 degree pitch, but looks much higher in the images from yesterday.
  22. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,056
    The fact is, your not using your loft as your Cinema Room and that's that.

The other fact is, it'll still be superb were you are having it.

You must be really excited. I know i was, and still am :D
  23. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    Awww. :(

:thumbsup:

:clap: :clap: :clap: Just a little. :D
  24. nickp8

nickp8 Member

Ratings:
    +154
    Why no updates recently? Hope all is well.

Nickp.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    All's fine thanks, just not that much going on at the moment, we've spent some time tidying the site but that's pretty much it.

The window's are being fitted tomorrow, then that'll probably be it until the new year, although the electrician may be in beforehand to do the first fix if I can make my mind up as to what is going where.

I was hoping to take some photo's today now that all the scaffolding has gone, but I had to go into work to check all the systems are ok for Monday morning following a major network upgrade.
  26. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    Just called in at home to see how things are going, and the first few frames are in...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should all be sorted by the end of the day.:smashin:
  27. rusty73

rusty73 Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Ive not visited the site for a while, its great to see how far the builders have come along. I bet you can't wait to get in there & start on the home cinema??:D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    They certainly crack on with things, can't fault them.:thumbsup:

Too right.:D
  29. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    Not much has been happening over Christmas, but the break has given me some time to finally get out and take some new photo's.

As you can see, all the windows are now in and we've has a bit of a clean up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kitchen door
    [​IMG]

The front door goes onto the driveway, but we are still awaiting delivery due to a manufacturing problem.

The place isn't even finished, and the loft is beginning to fill up with junk already.:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

The back garden
    [​IMG]
    I'm not having a pool, the hole is for the soakaway.
  30. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    I've also been tweeking my system, but have so far managed to resist the temptation to purchase a HD player.

I now have granite plinths for the front L&R speakers, and combined with bi-amping using the currently redundant surround back channels, the improvement is astounding. At £30 for the plinths, this has to be one of the cheapest upgrades ever.:smashin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I now plan to get another for the sub.

Also got another Koto for the collection in the Play.com sale
    [​IMG]