1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miniholic's Home Cinema "The Miniplex"

Discussion in 'Members' Home Cinema Gallery' started by Miniholic, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    Thought it was about time I added my room to the gallery. I would have started a thread sooner, but we have just finished redecorating, and the old room wasn’t exactly photogenic.:rolleyes:

I’ve built up to the system I have now over a period of about five years, some of it second hand from the forums, and its come a long way since I had my old Pioneer 525 DVD player outputting to a 25" 4:3 TV and a Technics HiFi system.

Until recently this room was my bedroom, but I have swapped the bed for a sofa bed, and moved into the spare room (I’m living at my parents place until I finish building my own house later this year).

The room is a little compromised, as due to the fitted furniture I have to project across the width, rather than length of the room, but when my new place is finished – hopefully by Christmas – I’ll have a dedicated room of about 2.5m x 4.5m, so it’ll be worth the wait.

Currently running 5.1 surround, but I do have another pair of B&W’s that are currently on loan to my Dad’s stereo system, so I can upgrade to 7.1 in my next room.

The front end.
    [​IMG]

Same again without grilles.
    [​IMG]

The Kit (List in sig).
    [​IMG]

All sources are switched via S-Video through the amp to both the projector and TV, with a direct HDMI feed from the DVD player to the projector.

The best seat in the house?
    [​IMG]

The projector (AE500) is hidden away in the overhead cupboard, hence the dodgy wires that I haven’t had chance to hide yet – the rooms been finished for a week or so, and I’ve been too busying enjoying it.

Music Server.:D
    [​IMG]

Control Freak (Think I need a pronto!)
    [​IMG]

The arty shot.
    [​IMG]

I don’t have any plans for upgrades at present, although I would like to swap my amp for a 3806 (3807?) at some point (to help with the cabling), and a H79 would be nice. I have considered getting an Xbox 360, but I hardly use my PS2, so have managed to resist for now.

Just need to sort out some decent DVD storage now.:rolleyes:

EDIT: Thought I'd add some pics of my new PJ mount. At present my only option is having the projector in a cupboard. I've just had a rethink and built this along the lines of the flexi racks that a few people have built in the past. The PJ then hangs from the top shelf using a Gyrolock mount that came with the PJ but has been sat gathering dust for the past nice months.

DIY mount
    [​IMG]

Close-up
    [​IMG]

In Situ Both doors are open when in use for cooling.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: 31/10/06
    Slight change on the equipment front. The Denon 3802 has now been replaced by a younger model, the mighty 3806.;)

Out with the old...
    [​IMG]

In with the new.:D
    [​IMG]

No more upgrades are planned for a while now, although I might be tempted to swap my projector next year.
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  2. Ewan154

Ewan154 Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Nice:thumbsup: You need to get an all inone remote tho m8:smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. rhino2k

rhino2k Member

Ratings:
    +149
    looks nice mate, love the music server :D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. thfccambs

thfccambs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,173
    Very nice m8,what about some screen shots.:thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. sbowler

sbowler Member

Ratings:
    +517
    You need to be an octopus, what with all the remotes. LOL I got a Kameleon 6 in 1 of a certain auction site for around £30 works well for me.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    I do need to do something about the remotes, but I only ever seem to need a couple at a time so its not too bad for now, and the 3802 remote can look after the basic functions of some of my sources anyway.

Watch this space.:)

I did take some, but the camera had moved on the tripod and they weren't straight, I tried straightening them in PS, but wasn't happy, so I'm going to redo them.

Edit: Here they are anyway.

Super Speedway
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LOTR: Return of the King
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course..
    The Fifth Element
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. shahedz

shahedz Active Member

Ratings:
    +928
    nice set up mate, i used to have the same ikea stand, and the pioneer 525 was my first DVD player and is still my DVD palyer!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. LFCRules

LFCRules Member

Ratings:
    +216
    Mmmmmmm, Milla :D

Lovely setup you got their Ian :thumbsup: Got a B&W 6.1 setup myself (603's/LCR600/LCR60/602's/ASW1000), and they are great speakers :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    Thanks. The 525 is still going strong, but I got the upgrade bug when they were selling off the last of the line Denon 2900's. I missed the last one at a local dealer, but as they were closing down they made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the 3910.
  10. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    She is very talented isn't she.:D

Thanks Andy. I've just got the babies compared to yours. I thought about going for the 603's myself for the upgrade to 7.1, but went for a pair of 600's instead for surround back, as I thought the 603's might be a bit OTT.

I'm using the 600's for surround at the moment and the 601's I was using before are on loan to my Dad in place of his lovely 1980's Technics speakers until I need them back, but I'm beginning to think I might have problems on that front.:rolleyes:
  11. ash

ash Member

Ratings:
    +430
    Very nice! What's the viewing distance? You can't tell from the pics :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. adamdavid

adamdavid Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Very, very nice. :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. scharf_10

scharf_10 Member

Ratings:
    +91
    If you look at the footrest in picture 2, then in picture 4 that gives a rough indication of the viewing distance, unless it has been shifted.
  14. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    No the footrests not been shifted, I'm not exactly following the 1.5 screenwidths rule. :D The screen is 6ft wide, and I'm only 7ft away from it, but I don't have any issues with SDE unless I look really closely, and whats the point in getting a bigger screen and sitting further away from it!

Besides I prefer to sit down and enjoy the film rather than analyse the picture quality, its the black levels that bother me more than anything else.
  15. MacReady

MacReady Member

Ratings:
    +75
    The Miniplex is looking great mate:thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. ash

ash Member

Ratings:
    +430
    Same PS2 as me as well :)
  17. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    Obviously a man of taste.:smashin: Who needs next-gen anyway.:rotfl:

Thanks Mate, its getting there. :D
  18. John 1987

John 1987 Member

Ratings:
    +176
    That's an amazing looking room. :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. GBDG1

GBDG1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,288
    I do like your room, has a nice character to it, if that makes sense.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. R88PER

R88PER Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi - very nice looking room.

I'e just purchased the same B&W's as you. 602.5'sS3, LCR60S3 and DS6S3.
    They've been sat in the spare room whilst I've been finishing building my cabinet. I cant wait to get them all set up and hear them for the first time.

I'm going to be using this set up with my old Mordaunt Short sub for now until I can upgrade. Hopefully it'll be ok for now, although the credit card may be coming out early if not. :rolleyes:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    Thanks mate, I guess it is a little more homely than some rooms you see. Its wierd, but I still keep calling it my bedroom, can't get used to having a decent room at last.

They are great speakers, probably the last part of my system that I'll upgrade, and that will probably be a long time off yet.

The waiting to play with new kit is always the worst bit for me, I had to go without my system for two weeks whilst decorating, and I did start to get withdrawl.:rolleyes:

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the DS6's as they weren't available when I got mine, so I've not heard them yet.
  22. AutomanUK

AutomanUK Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Do your parents like it.. are you going to be allowed to take it all with you, or will they want to keep it when you move to your own place !! Great looking set up. Wow.. what a lot of remotes !! They sure do build up don't they !:thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    My parents love it, and use it a couple of nights a week, although my Mum found Eastenders on the big screen a bit disturbing (can understand that, I find it bad enough on a normal TV).

I'm leaving the screen up when I go as I'll be having a fixed screen at my new place, and my Dad is already looking at projectors, he fancies going for the Optoma DV10 and a Yamaha YSP800 to keep things simple, although I have hinted that he can buy my AE500 if I upgrade.;)
  24. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Where is the mac?
  25. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    No Mac, just iPod into the 3802 with the AV connection kit.
  26. Jon Boy

Jon Boy Member

Ratings:
    +36
    very nice indeed matey , im building a similar setup myself! i think you'll find that denon remote is a learning remote! theres me saying that and i havent even set my remote up yet lolo

Keep up the good work mate :smashin:

Jon
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    First post edited to add new PJ mount.
  28. neil666

neil666 New Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Nice set up, will look even better in your new house, and if you buy improvements :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. neil666

neil666 New Member

Ratings:
    +13
    where did you get your ipod docking station from does it power the ipod, so you can connect it to your amp?

cheers.
  30. Miniholic

Miniholic Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    It's an apple universal dock, I bought the AV connection kit. You get the dock, a mains charger, an AV lead, and a remote control. The charger plugs into the dock connector using the normal iPod to USB lead, and then the AV cable is a three way headphone type plug that carries audio and composite video. There is also a seperate S-Video output on the back of the dock, but I've not got around to using this yet as I only use it for audio.

This is the one AV Kit. Don't know if its they have put the price up, but I paid £50 for mine from House of Fraser.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1