Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini tripods for USA trip

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by alj23, Jan 13, 2007.

1. alj23

alj23 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Helooo - I am off to Florida in April and have a Canon 20D - I wondered what mini tripods people use ? I dont want to spend loads of money but wondered what is out there and whether they are worth it ?

Ta

AJ
  2. tdodd

tdodd Member

Ratings:
    +182
    I was bought a Gorilla Pod SLR model for Xmas and had high hopes for it. Unfortunately it is too weak to properly support my 30D in "tripod" mode with just the 50mm F1.8 lens and no grip or flash. It might be OK when wrapped around something like a fence/branch/handrail, which I guess is what it was primarily designed to do, but if the legs are extended it just collapses. If I stick on my 17-85 lens or use the BG-E2 grip or add my 580EX flash it doesn't stand a chance.

It's a great idea but a bit flawed in implementation as the joints really aren't stiff enough to provide the support needed. Maybe the SLR Zoom model would be more up to the job.
  3. tdodd

tdodd Member

Ratings:
    +182
  4. ush flynn

ush flynn Active Member

Ratings:
    +147
    with the gorilla pod if your standing it up i find that if you bend the legs slightly upwards then again downwards so they point directly at the surface (ill try find a pic) then it will support the weight very well, having the legs stretched out wont hold the 30d or any slr for that matter

sort of like this
    http://mcwu.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/gorillapod-2.jpg
    or this
    http://www.digitalcameratracker.com/images/gorillaPod.jpg

rather than like this
    http://image.auction.co.kr/itemimage/009/27/21/0092721859.jpg
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. alj23

alj23 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    thanks for the advice guys - I am tempted to get the SLR version - will go nosey at it in one of the camera shops in town and see what it is like with camera on - then wander off and check prices !!!

AJ
  6. tdodd

tdodd Member

Ratings:
    +182
    OK, I've managed to get the SLR Pod to work as a mini tripod on a flat table by splaying the legs out as wide as they will go and leaving no room for them to bend and collapse. This works OK with 30D, flash, grip and 17-85 lens but there is still a problem. The pod can only support this setup if the weight is centred over the upright part of the pod. If I try to tilt the camera more than just a fraction, forwards especially, the centre column cannot support the leverage of the load puling forward so the whole thing just collapses forward.

I also tried removing the grip and the flash and that does allow a greater degree of tilt before the support collapses but you need to be careful as once the friction lets go it is not a gradual slide but a rapid collapse until the lens hits something firm.

I've added a few pictures to my Gorilla Pod album showing the successful tripod use, upright with flash and grip attached, and angled with the camera and lens alone.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/EezyTiger/GorillaPod (Start a slideshow and press F11 in IE to see full screen pictures)

I do have a suspicion that over time the Pod will loosen up a bit so what may work OK now may not work in the future. As it is the SLR Pod is a nice little device but just a bit limited. If it was my money and I wanted a more trustworthy and future proof solution I think I'd go for the Zoom Pod rather than the SLR Pod.
  7. PaulBoy

PaulBoy Member

Ratings:
    +90
    or not ... I just got the Zoom Pod & it might be a bit beefier than the SLR Pod but its still not too useable as a table top tripod - I read your post & tried my D200 & 105mm lens on it and it was doing the same as your SLR Pod - I bought it for the "wrapping" capability & never envisaged using it as a tabletop though so I'm not too worried - HTH ... Paul ;)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. alj23

alj23 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Ok - so if not a GORILLA tripod thingie - what other mini tripods do people use ??

AJ
  9. BananaTiger

BananaTiger Member

Ratings:
    +129
    Manfrotto do a range of micro tripods (which sound good but I must confess I've never used), a range of mini tripods which I believe are a little bigger but less compact, and the next one up of which I have (725b). I love my Manfrotto tripod since it's really light and had hold my 350d easily. Maybe worth having a look at their range (mini and micro) when you have a gander in the camera shop.
  10. alj23

alj23 Member

Ratings:
    +12
  11. richard plumb

richard plumb Active Member

Ratings:
    +883
    I recently bought a manfrotto travel tripod from LCE for about £50. 785 SHB modo. specifically for a trip to the US so it'd fit in luggage easily (although it didn't get used in the end)

Very light and compact (important for me travelling). there is also a normal 785 which is a little taller.

got a good review in one of the mags recently, and it seems pretty sturdy. Has a simple ball-head for easy panning/tilting, and a built in spirit bubble for making sure its level.