Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini DV Camcorder to PC

Discussion in 'Camcorders & Video Editing' started by jchrishall2000, Oct 7, 2007.

  1. jchrishall2000

    jchrishall2000 Member

    Jan 5, 2006
    Trophy Points:
    Problems connecting my JVC Mini DV(GR-D728EK) camcorder to my PC via USB for video editing. The manual says this is possible via a JVC-VDV206U or JVC-VDV204U (depending on the number of pins) and I've tried using the my digital camera connector lead (connector head too big). Is there a quick and inexpensive way to acquire this piece of kit (I need it in the next 48 hrs and there's a postal strike so I'm afraid ebay's not an option) - eg Maplin or Curry's (not always the cheapest!). Do I have to buy a JVC branded lead or is there a cheaper equivalent?
  2. jaymac

    jaymac Member

    Jan 15, 2003
    Trophy Points:
    If its mini dv then you need to connect by firewire not usb . Check if your Pc has firewire installed go to device manager and look for Ieee device if that is installed you can get a cable at most places maplins included.If you dont have it fitted you will need to install a card not expensive . You can't do it by usb. Just checked your lead number that is afirewire lead . You do not get those leads with any of the camcorders .So check your pc as I said and if you have firewire buy any firewire lead you dont need to get JVC
  3. jetinder

    jetinder Member

    Sep 16, 2006
    Trophy Points:
    I have a JVC GRD770 (which is souped up JVC GRD728).

    The manual may say you can transfer video by USB but when ever i tried it didnt work. so i got a cheap firewire (Iee 1394) card with firewire lead and did it that way.

    It works 100% of the time.

    If your PC hasnt got a firewire port you can easily pick up a firewire card.

    If you cant wait for the postal strike to end PC World and Maplins will have firewire card and leads, B&Q do some computer stuff as well (as a few months ago i got a USB cable from them).

    You dont need to buy a JVC brand lead, you can use any firewire lead as long as it has the right plug sockets on it. Take your camcorder to Maplins etc and say you want to a firewire lead to fit your camcorders socket, they'll find one for you.

    if you want USB take your camcorder to Maplins etc and say you want to a USB lead to fit your camcorders socket, they'll find one for you.
  4. MarkE19

    MarkE19 Moderator

    Aug 10, 2002
    Trophy Points:
    The cables you listed in the post are in fact firewire (aka ieee1394, Dv cable, iLink) and not USB - see Here & Here and being JVC branded are likely to cost far more than you need to spend. Maplins etc should do a firewire cable for around £10. The chances are that they will also sell a PCI firewire card with a cable for about the same price.
    The difference between the 2 cables is that one will have 4 pin to 4 pin connections and the other will have a 6 pin connection on one end. Most desktop PC's will have a 6 pin port and most laptops a 4 pin port. The camcorder always has a 4 pin port.


Share This Page