Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - discussion thread & opinion poll

Discussion in 'Wii & Wii-U' started by RottenFox, May 22, 2007.

?

How do you rate Metroid Prime 3: Corruption? (vote only after playing)

1. 10 (Genre defining)

9.6%
  2. 9 (Outstanding)

63.5%
  3. 8 (Excellent)

15.4%
  4. 7(Good)

9.6%
  5. 6 (Above average)

1.9%
  6. 5 (Average)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4 (Below average)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3 (Bad)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2 (Very poor)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 (Appalling)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,288
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Moogle

Moogle Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,448
    I don't think those screen shots actually do it justice. From what I remember from playing it last year at E3 it actually looked a lot better then that.
  3. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,288
    yeah,they are a bit low on the quality,and ingame shots never do games justice,but from looking at them,i feel it does look like it will look good.
    they look like they have been taken with a phone cam or something like that.
    for a "souped up gamecube",as a friend calls it,they do look nice.
    reading about the control system too,i hope it does it justice.
  4. Cowden_harley

Cowden_harley Active Member

Ratings:
    +217
  5. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,895
    Yeah, I think it's been strongly rumoured it would be single player only for some time now so not surprised there. Is a bit of a shame but will no doubt please some who were already saying it would spoil the game if they didn't concentrate on single player(personally I would have liked some multiplayer modes though).
  6. steggy

steggy Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I sit firmly in the other camp, I think that probably stems from not playing hunters on the DS. It was confirmed in an interview back in E3 last year that it was only going to be single player. And then of course it was delayed so the speculation started "maybe they've delayed it to put in multiplayer."

Up until hunters (and I suppose Prime 2) metroid has been a single player adventure. Just because it's in the first person pespective people assume that they should put in multiplayer. People don't expect nintendo to put in a multiplayer mode into Zelda, I'm not sure why metroid should be any different.
  7. Beer Fury

Beer Fury Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Not sure how reliable this source is guys but it states that Retro have already confirmed that MPC will not have online multiplayer.

LINK http://www.myarcadeplanet.com/article-203-Corrupt-Your-Summer-Metroid-Prime-3-Corruption.html

Hmmm, while not totally necessary, I think that it should be an option. I mean why not? The Wii is the first non portable to go online properly (the GC effort doesn't really count in my book!) so I think they should be going for it especially with what's expected to be a AAA title.

To be honest, while I enjoyed the first two games, I found them immensely frustrating at times on a difficulty level so an option to vent this online and have a blast against other people around the globe would've been most welcome. :thumbsdow
  8. Kube

Kube Active Member

Ratings:
    +372
    I dont personally care for any multiplayer options, online or otherwise.

Metroid Prime is a superbly made sci-fi adventure (nothing like modern FPS's). Its about the coherent world its set in, along with an overwhelming sense of solitude when trying to complete it. Its never over fussy or never particularly gun ho and thats what sets it apart. Its never been about big guns and blindly shooting at everything thats moves, its about using the weapons and special techniques to complete an overall objective. The majority of the enemies are simply life forms that exist on the planets and really are no threat to you, its only when you travel deeper into each of the titles that meet real foes and even then they are usually sparse. The booses are superb but really dont cover a large area of the overall game.

I can see where some people want multiplayer online gaming but there are hundreds of online shooters out there that can deal that hand. I honestly dont see what it adds to Metroid, its a single player adventure and if the majority of creativity and time is spent developing the experience of the single player game then i welcome the idea that online is excluded.
  9. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    I agree with Kube, as long as they make the single-player side of things a AAA title (like the previous games) I'm sure they'll be onto a winner! The Wiimote seems ideal for this game, can't wait to see it in action.
  10. Hornet2112

Hornet2112 Member

Ratings:
    +63
  11. Spinke

Spinke Active Member

Ratings:
    +535
    After the code entering nightmare that is Mario Strikers, I'm not really surprised (Don't think I could face doing it again).
  12. Moogle

Moogle Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,448
    Personally I would rather they leave it as a single player game and focus on that rather then trying to add a multiplayer option. Metroid Prime is not a typical FPS game and more of an adventure puzzle solving game. Split screen multiplayer never worked on number two and I don't see split screen or online working on number 3 either. I rather they put all their efforts into making the best single player offline game possible. That is more important. There are plenty of other games that offer the online FPS multiplayer action.
  13. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,895
    IGN had a hands-on with Metroid 3 today, sounds fantastic! There are also a few new videos there, waiting for one to load now.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/803/803978p1.html

:eek:
  14. MonkeyKnuckle

MonkeyKnuckle Active Member

Ratings:
    +730
    I quite like the look of this. I like the lock on feature so that your target stays in your view. It was something that annoyed me in Red Steel, shooting at something then accidentally moving too far to the side and then facing the wall.

Looks good. :thumbsup:
  15. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,895
  16. sjw

sjw Member

Ratings:
    +70
    .....would be good if you could actually play those videos in the wii browser... :-(
  17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,058
    Stunning! One of the best looking games i've seen on any console to date. Like you say, it also seems to control perfectly. Really can't wait for this one. Whilst there are not huge volumes of Wii games, the ones that are coming out (Super Paper Mario, Mario Galaxy, Mariokart, Metroid Prime Corruption, Wii Fit etc.) all seem like simply must own classic titles!
  18. Moogle

Moogle Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,448
    I was listening to the latest episode of Wiik-In-Review from IGN and both Matt Cassamasina and Mark Bozon had very positive things to say about it. They said it looked and played great and apart from Mario Galaxy was the game they were most looking forward to.
  19. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,168
    Yeh i agree this game looks stunning! Anyone that doubts the wii in terms of gfx ability just need to take a look at this. Now lets hope that other FPS developers take note of this and start producing decent fps games that utilise the controls!
  20. G a f f e r

G a f f e r Moderator

Ratings:
    +415
    Am REALLY looking forward to this game.

I understand that it's more a Tomb Raider style of puzzler as opposed to Quake style FPS, but I would still have liked even a smidgen of offline multiplayer.

So is this definitely a no-no then? I don't really care for online multiplay at the mo', but the ability to play 4 player in offline deathmatch using this engine would be icing on the cake for me :D.
  21. Moogle

Moogle Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,448
    Nothing confirmed but everything points to no multiplayer. There is a multiplayer death match option in Metroid Prime 2 and it wasn't well recieved so I guess they may have decided to focus on the single player this time.
  22. G a f f e r

G a f f e r Moderator

Ratings:
    +415
    The problem with MP2 (from the little I played of it) was that you couldn't aim your target cursor......eg, if someone turned into a ball, it was difficult to shoot them from close up as they were below your line of fire.

...but with the wiimote acting as a pointer I thought that issue would've been addressed...hence would've been included :confused:.

Oh well.....it's still a must buy anyway :D.
  23. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,895
    Just been reading an interesting little article from IGN about the lack of hype surrounding Metroid Prime 3, especially as it will be released in less than 3 weeks in the US.

Must admit I myself have been amazed at the lack of new info/screens/videos, really nothing since E3(and hardly anything before that), for such a huge game about to be released is very surprising.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/811/811682p1.html?RSSwhen2007-08-08_161000&RSSid=811682
  24. CAS FAN

Ratings:
    +3,058
    It is interesting, but I think it shows some clever thinking in fact. Nintendo will have a limited marketing budget and will have to decide where best to spend it. The Wii is mainly about bringing gaming to all and being a family inclusive console. Funnily enough, games like Metroid Prime 3 could actually put off their new main market as it looks like the type of game that the mass market are scared of and move away from. They know that the people who will be interested in this game (their previous core/traditional gamers) will know all about this game and will be looking forward to it, no matter how much it's marketed. What Nintendo are looking to do (which isn't easy) is meet the needs of it's existing user base, whilst not alienating the new (much, much bigger) mass market user base, which they are developing well. Nintendo need to attract these "none gamers" in their droves and advertising "fun" games like Mario Party, Warrioware, Mario Strikers, the Wii itself with Wii Sports will be much more of a priority. They know that they have got a lot of their core gamers already signed up to the Wii and the initial advertising of games like Zelda helped a lot with that. Their focus is now more on capturing the mass market.

I'm not saying that they won't advertise MP3 (i.e. in the couple of weeks leading up to it and after launch ) and i'm sure the hype will still be generated to some extent with adverts appearing over the next week or so. I would be surprised if they don't advertise it at all though. It does signify a shift in Nintendo's priorities though as whilst i'm sure they will continue to make great titles for the traditional gamer (Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, Mario, Megaman, F-Zero etc.), market forces have dictated that they have had to look elsewhere for their new customers.

EDIT: it is very odd that there's no mention of the game on Metroid website though. Infact all I could really find that was official, was this on the Wii site!
  25. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,895
    Seems the hype is starting to build:)

Downloadable video preview of the game in the WiiWare section of the shopping channel http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604407

[EDIT]Just watched the videos(there are two of them with a further two to be added on the 13th). The videos themselves are quite low res, but with that nice & fast to download. They're nice substantial videos, certainly show off alot more of the game than we've been privileged to see until now. Looks fantastic to me, can't wait!
  26. Moogle

Moogle Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,448
    I had the privilege of playing it last year so I'm not going to complain. ;)

I'm sure it's come a long way since then though.
  27. sparced

sparced Member

Ratings:
    +83
    Metroid scores a perfect 10 in Nintendo Power magazine. Only the second game to do so, first was RE:4 for the Gamecube I'm told. :cool:

The IGN Nintendo staff couldn't talk about it on their podcast but made it quite clear how much they like it and are playing it non stop.

Nine weeks to go.
  28. CAS FAN

Ratings:
    +3,058
    I feel that my FPS game of the year will definately come down to a very tough decision detween this and Bioshock. Infact, i'm sure that both those games will be contending for my overall game of the year. I'm really looking forward to this titles a lot, possibly more than Mario Galaxy (although that's a very tough call indeed as both look simply stunning!).
  29. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,895
    Can't wait to read an actual review for this game, they must be due soon!

I'm still deciding on my third game for the remainder of the year to go along with Mario Galaxy & CoD4.

Bioshock is certainly looking tempting so Metroid will have to be something pretty special to beat that for me as a region free Bioshock would be cheaper.

TBH I'm really left unsure since the videos on the Wii Metroid 3 Channel, with exception to the cloud city ball rolling video they look a bit repetitive/samey to me. Although I do feel that's perhaps down to a bad selection of video choice more than anything, not to mention the fact they're small screen & very low res making them look a little off-putting.

Personally I would have much preferred a longer load time for the videos on the Metroid Channel to see them in all their full screen glory. At least that would have given us a clear picture of just how the game will look.
  30. Moogle

Moogle Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,448
    The main problem with Nintgendo is that they do a poor job of marketing. Whether it's still images or video footage it always seems to be poor. Even the major sites like IGN and Gamespot complain about it. In geenral whatever images or video yo usee of Nintendo first party games it's usually not a representative of the actual game. Having said that they seem to have done a better job of the latest Mario Galaxy images.