1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[MERGED]Marantz AV Receivers SR5004/SR6004 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by Tone-uk, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Tone-uk

Tone-uk Member

Ratings:
    +167
    Marantz have hosted their little party for the above models (and the NR1501) in the US.

Marantz Hosts SR6004, SR5004 and NR1501 AV Receiver Reception: BigPictureBigSound

The suggested rrp for the sr6004 has been £799. Not sure about the sr5004 - probably £599??.

Look good to me! Obviously the big issue some have with Marantz is their inability to apply Audyssey EQ when bitstreaming audio - I doubt this has changed but, maybe it has?

Full specs from Marantz website

Marantz America | NR1501 *** COMING SOON *** Dolby TureHD / dts-HD Master Audio AV Receiver

Nice 20,000 microfarad capacitors in the sr6004 too. Something you don't often see put in the spec sheet for av receivers.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Passingbat

Passingbat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,234
    Now, if they fix this, I'll be a fan, I promise :D

I believe they have the same parent company as Denon so getting that sorted, surely shouldn't be a problem (as the Denons don't have that problem).

I know some people switch Audessy off (and it seems to be the recommended way with this years Denons), but I love options!
  3. snowmonkey

snowmonkey Member

Ratings:
    +1
    get a blu ray player that can output the bitstream and then you can use audessy eq in the amp, marantz's new bd7004 could well fit the bill, this combo is my next intended purchase once they hit the shops
  4. dante01

dante01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,428
    I don't think you've grasped what the issue was with the previous Marantz models? If the new models still suffer from this problem then doing as you suggest would actually instigate the issue. The issue is with not being able to use Audyssey EQ when bitstreaming audio to the receiver.
  5. marelc

marelc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm after 5004 or 6004 mailnly for Audyssey dynamic volume and eq. Just sold my sr5002
    Can you let m know what do you mean by bitstreaming audio. Optical? coaxial hdmi ?
    Thanks
  6. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,428
    Bitstreaming is the streaming of audio in its raw encrypted format to the AV amp so that the amp decodes it. The alternative is to let the player decode the audio onboard prior to streaming it as LPCM to the AV amp.
  7. marelc

marelc Member

Ratings:
    +0

So really most of the time I let the amp decode audio as its sent in dolby, dts etc. I only use lpcm when playing MP3 when dvd player sends it via optical as pcm. Thanks for the advice. I will have to check this before buying. :smashin:
  8. marelc

marelc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Can you advice where did you hear about Marantz not able to use Audyssey EQ when bitstreaming audio. I'm about to buy sr5004 or sr6004 as soon as they are available. I dont want to spend money and later not be able to use it.
  9. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,428

I believe it is stated in both the 5003 and 6003 manuals that Audyssey EQ is useless for DD+, TrueHD and DTS-HD material. Audyssey EQ cannot be applied when these formats are bitstreamed to the receivers.
  10. Passingbat

Passingbat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,234
    This was an issue on the previous Marantz recievers; no one knows if it will be fixed on the new ones (here's hoping it's fixed!)

There's some detail and a link I posted here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/9505846-post672.html
  11. taubenspikes

taubenspikes Member

Ratings:
    +3
    i wanna buy a new receiver in the next weeks, but i need a advice which one to choose.

the onkyo 707/807 or the new marantz 6004. i wanna use the two high/wide speakers, but dont know which soundprozessor is the better one (Audyssey DSX vs. DOLBY IIZ). maybe someone has heard the both and can write a little review. Thanks.
  12. baccattack

baccattack Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Suprising. I thought Marantz didn't do yearly updates of their receivers or is this only at the lower end? There were no updated 7xxx/8xxx models last year.
  13. Passingbat

Passingbat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,234

Sadly, it hasn't been fixed:thumbsdow

14. aldente

aldente Member

Ratings:
    +5
    To Marantz SR6004 owners,

Does anyone know whether this AV receiver accepts the 4mm banana plug on the speaker posts of the UK model? If so, does yours require strong force to push one in?

According to the brochure from Marantz Europe website, this receiver appears to have binding posts similar to those found on the banana-plug compatible speakers which have concealing plastic caps for the holes. However, the UK model may differ. The manual available from the website, as most other manufacturers, mentions no banana plugs.

I heard on a thread somewhere I do not remember that the previous SR6003 did accept banana plugs, and I am hoping the new one also does.

Thank you in advance for your info.
  15. Aegdju

Aegdju Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm a new and happy owner of a Marantz SR6004.

So far I'm very satisfied with it, especially by the impressive sound stage it shows with both stereo and multichannel. The musicality is also a clear step up my previous receiver (Denon Avr 2800)

Though, before more serious listening, I'm still setting all the parameters and experimenting the surrounds modes.

I have a question here, for owner of the 6004/5004 (or 5003/6003) :

In short :
    Is it possible to have or save different settings per input source ?

In detail :
    I have a PS3 hooked on HDMI1 and a satbox (canal + FR) on hdmi4 and I'd love to have some settings different for each of them (mainly the settings that aren't directly on the remote like : HT-EQ on/off and dynamic EQ adjust offset)

Thanks,
  16. aldente

aldente Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Like you, I am also a new happy owner of SR6004. As far as I have explored, I do not think there is such a feature on the model. It would be great if it were capable of saving profiles for each input source though.
  17. ani4ani

ani4ani Member

Ratings:
    +177
    I really like the look of these amps, but I seem to have a peculiar problem that might actually prevent me having one. My AV stand has a space for an amp that is 440mm wide which is fine for "normal" seperates [430mm?], however looking at the specs for this amp, it says it is 440mm wide..which seems rather odd.

May I ask one of you lucky owners to comfirm that is the case?
  18. aldente

aldente Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, it is 440mm in width. I expect AV racks/stands to allow a clearance of 20-30mm each side, for your fingers as well as heat dissipation. With this in mind, I bought a stand wide and sturdy enough, and SR6004 was not a problem in my case.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  19. ani4ani

ani4ani Member

Ratings:
    +177
    The stand I have has "ventilated" sides, i.e. they are not solid. Just looking at the photos of the unit it seems that the front "face" is slightly wider, than the main chassis. Is the 440mm the front or the main chassis. Thanks for your help

Pete
  20. aldente

aldente Member

Ratings:
    +5
    There is a rip of 3mm on each side on the front. The 440mm includes these rips.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. Simon Young

Simon Young Member

Ratings:
    +64
    My Harman/Kardon AVR 4550 is over 6 years old now and I think it's upgrade time. I've got my eye on the Marantz SR6004 - anyone bought one yet? Will I hear a difference in musicality between the SR5004 and the SR6004?
  22. Aegdju

Aegdju Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Quick question to other owners of the 6004 :

I can hear a low humming sound coming from the receiver (from the power unit i guess) when i am close enough (10 or so centimeters). Are your 6004s doing that too ? I'm pretty sure mine was totally silence the first day when i installed it.
  23. lubej

lubej Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello

Do you maybe know if marantz will release sr4004 on the market.
    They removed 4003 from web site but did not add new model 4004

Thank you.
    Br
  24. confused88

confused88 Member

Ratings:
    +70
  25. aldente

aldente Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Mine does not have such a humming sound.
  26. confused88

confused88 Member

Ratings:
    +70
    A few of questions for SR5004/6004 owners.
    Could anyone confirm if the "Audyssey problem" is still there ? If so do you send HD audio as LPCM ?
    There were a few reports that this is not possible with Sony Players as they force bitstreaming if the receiver has the ability to do the decoding. Has anyone used the Marantz with a Sony Bluray player?

Thanks.
  27. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,428

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-a...ed-drive-monitor-audio-rx8s.html#post10723515

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-a...marantz-inability-apply-audyssey-eq-mean.html
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. confused88

confused88 Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks. I have read these posts. That problem had put me off the SR6003 in the first place but now Electrical Store | Electrical Appliance Retailer | Online Shop have the SR6004 together with the S360 for £760 and it seems tempting. So I am wondering if the S360 has the same problem as the S550. Not too far from where I live though so I might pay them a visit.
  29. Simon Young

Simon Young Member

Ratings:
    +64
    Wow, I just noticed this! It's actually cheaper to buy the 6004 with the S360 than it is to buy the 6004 separately! :eek:
  30. Tone-uk

Tone-uk Member

Ratings:
    +167
    In regard to Sony blu-ray players forcing bitstreamed hd audio (because the sr6004 can internally decode it), I'm sure the (part?) solution is to set the Sony to output "mix" rather than "direct". It is only under "direct" that the Sony picks and chooses the receiver capabilities. Using the "mix" setting, secondary audio is also sent (not possible when bitstreaming). Check this thread for a bit more info http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-...can-decode-multichannel-lpcm-over-hdmi-2.html

Also, I've found this thread with posts in regard to a finnish hifi magazines group review. The SR6004 was up against the Yamaha rx-v1900, Denon 2310, Onkyo 807, Pioneer lx52 and NAD T 747. The SR6004 won but, suggests analogue inputs rather than digital.

Summary of review near very end of thread (look for the post dated 25/10/09 @ 14:18)

Google Translate
    • Thanks Thanks x 1