Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MediaPortal DVB-S EPG grabbing problems

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Biffa001, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Biffa001

Biffa001 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Hi all

Hopefully this is my last problem to solve in getting MP setup and ready to replace VMC!

I followed the guide here - Sky IT / UK / UK Freesat EPG - MediaPortal Forum to set up EPG data from the DVB-S Freesat stream from Britshorts but it only got data for the day (and barely 12 hours at that). Even if I selected all my channels and left the EPG grabber on all night it made no difference.

I then tried to use the inbuilt WebEPG program - set up all my channels correctly mapped etc etc...with the same result. Also there is nothing in the Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\xmltv folder..

Help! :rolleyes:
  2. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +580
    I still can't actually tune to the channels you need to grab the EPG from so jealous :mad:

I think it is just a case of leaving it. I have read some threads about it taking well over 24 hours to populate.

What are your options for EPG grabbing? You probably need all the fill in gaps type options set to populate this current data
  3. Biffa001

Biffa001 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    I think I may have solved it with a combination of WebEPG getting the data automatically from various sources and then pointing the XMLTV plugin to the output file and that updates every minute from the WEBEPG output file.

I now have over 2 weeks worth of EPG and descriptions for all programs!

Only one small problem (isn't there always) ITV3+1 has the same listings as ITV3 instead of one hour later, the same for ITV4+1 & ITV2+1. Also there are no listings for my manually added channels....grrrrrrrr.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  4. bushbrother

bushbrother Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Hi there, I use the same modified TSWriter from the link you describe. What you need to do is EPG grab on the radio channel "EPG Background Audio" not the brit shorts one.

Thats what I do and works perfectly, but yes it can take time ... You will know when its happening as you CPU starts getting hit.

That radio channel is actually the music that plays in the background when you press the "guide" button on a Sky box. It carries all the EPG data. Mine grabs every 24 hours ... no real need to do any more frequently as you can only get 7 days or so at a time ...

Hope that helps!
  5. Biffa001

Biffa001 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Ah, I had that Audio onr grabbed as well as the britshorts one but I think with my solution I may be getting a bit of both although cetain channels still have no guid info as mentioned below.

I will leave it on overnight and see what happens!
  6. bushbrother

bushbrother Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Yes 2 weeks is quite nice :) I think maybe your XML files are overwriting what has been grabbed by the TSWriter "plugin" and are the cause of the +1 channel problems, try just using the EPG Background Audio without any XML grabbing and I am sure you +1 channels will be just fine ... they are for me :)
  7. Biffa001

Biffa001 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    ...and now they are for me - excellent thank you.

Is there a way to use the xml program only to get data for the ITV HD EPG as over the air date doesnt include this?
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  8. Biffa001

Biffa001 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    mmmm, why oh why does channel 5 never have any epg guide data when every other channel does?

I'm using the EPG Backgound Audio and Britshorts channels but no 5 data?

I've stopped and restarted the TV Service and done a refresh of the EPG a few times to no avail.....

Any ideas why?
  9. surfermc

surfermc Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I gave up using trying to use MP WebEPG grabber and background EPG grabber and have instead moved to using XMLTV GUI Grabber together with 4therecord.

XMLTV GUI is set as a scheduled task that for me runs once a day. Within the XMLTV GUI there are number of scripts that can be run to refine the downloaded EPG information eg. it can create +1 channels based on a channel or can remove portions of a EPG for when the channel is off-air.
  10. Biffa001

Biffa001 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    thanks for the reccomendation will take a look but was really hoping to the off-the-air EPF for Freesat working and not add any more plugins/addons to the mix till I got everything working as is!
  11. bushbrother

bushbrother Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Yes, Channel 5 is a bit hit and miss, I have no idea why!

As for ITV HD I have channel data for it but there is hardly anything on, double check to see if it doesnt just say "Closed" instead of "No Data Available".

I have looked at the XML grabber before but for the life of me I could not figure it out ... That was about 6 months ago when I started on this HTPC adventure ... maybe I should have another look :)
  12. Biffa001

Biffa001 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    haven;t got around to sorting this out yet as my wife just had a baby boy last night so a lot has been going on :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
  13. bushbrother

bushbrother Member

Ratings:
    +42
    congratulations :)
  14. chiark

chiark Member

Ratings:
    +13
    CONGRATULATIONS! :D

Start it recording Cbeebies now ;)
  15. Biffa001

Biffa001 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Thanks guys, off to visit the little fella agaian now :)

It made me laugh the other week when I put CBeebies on for 5 minutes to see how long it would take my wife to say turn off that trash!...about 2 mins! She will have to learn!! Just hope that I have an EPG for CBeebies :rotfl:

But who cares, not me I'm too happy :D:smashin::thumbsup:
  16. Biffa001

Biffa001 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Right got a bit of time before the family returns from hospital tomorrow :)

I have installed and setup and have working 4TR, it loosk great.

Just a problem with getting the Plus One things to work. I ammended my .lua file as this:

to add in the missing 2 I need, ITV3+1 and ITV4+1. XMLGUI program runs ok and grabs all the needed data but 4TR doesn't pick it up for these 2 channels, everything else works hunky-dory and works within StreamedMP too - nice.

How do I do this please? I have a shortcut with the silent & grab commands working but how can I set this up as a daily task please?

Also - is there a way of making the EPG in MeiaPortal bigger as my dodgy eyes are struggling with the tiny font (I'm using StreamedMP)

...and CH5 has guide data too!!!!!!

The challenge is can I get this all done and dusted before my wife returns tomorrow evening and wants to watch TV!!

TIA guys, it's appreciated :)
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  17. Biffa001

Biffa001 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    scrub that - fpr some reason the +1 things works a treat after a reboot!

Just need some help on this i anyone know.

(Wife and child safely back home and programs ready to watch whilst up at 3am :D)
  18. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +580
    I take it you are no longer allowed to tinker but I was curious as to whether you ever got the DVB EPG grabber working or whether you just went to full xmltv? I had a few issues with it timing out so I adjusted the timeout to 1000 mins and have left it running over night. Will see if the DVB grabber has worked (this will apparently be built into MP 1.1)

You can do this easily by adusting fonts.xml in the MP Skin folder but it will adjust everything not just the EPG. I have my font size set at 120dpi which breaks a few things in MP. Each time I install I have to copy the fonts.xml file from the Blue3 folder to Blue3Wide to get everything just as I like it. Failin that you can always hack the EPG skin xml file
  19. Biffa001

Biffa001 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    I went straight to 4TR and the XMLTV grabber as I much prefer the whole 4TR experience within and outside of MediaPortal. Everything is working aok and all I need to wok out is how to auto-grab epg with the XMLTV program. But at the minute I just manually run it and it takes seconds.

To be honest 4TR looks a tad complicated on their website but it's a breeze to install and use - I really recomend it.

Also I set up Comskip within it and love that too.

Ta for the tips on the EPG size, may have a tinker when my wife is not looking!!
  20. surfermc

surfermc Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Create a scheduled task to run XMLGUI
    Code:
    "C:\Progam Files\XMLTV GUI\xmltvgui.exe" /GRAB
    I've got this scheduled to run once a day.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. Biffa001

Biffa001 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    thanks for that :) Although with /grab /silent it doesn't run but with just /grab it runs. Odd as I have a shortcut setup with /grab /silent that runs fine?
  22. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +580
    I used 4TR a while ago and whilst I loved the search and the scheduling there was a big reason why I went back to the standard MP scheduler (no idea why now....). Off to look at it again

For anyone searching with the same problem thought I would just write down how I got the EPG working.

Figured out that the timeout in MP EPG grabbing is actually to do with picking up an EPG signal not how long it takes to go through the data. Once I realised that the reason it was not working was because I had re-installed the TVServer but not replaced the TSWriter files :suicide: I now have a just about fully populated EPG :thumbsup:

To get this done I left the config app on the manual control screen and ticked the refresh DVB EPG and left it for a little while. If this did not work for you the TSWriter.log or EPG.log files are suprisingly helpful... (That said if you have xmlTV working then no point changing). The Freesat EPG combined with the Freeview EPG has given me data or all the channels I want or a week which is ok.

Did I read you are grabbing your xmlTV from RadioTimes? Does this actually hold 14 days worth of data ?
  23. Biffa001

Biffa001 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Yes it does which is great for planning ahead.

I also love the extra functions that 4TR gives you that I was used to within VMC that were lacking in MP.

Ii can nset up a suggested recording that makrs all films for me so I can easily list them and pick n choose which to record. I have the ability to look at the EPG on my laptop and plan and make and watch recording or live tv from there (as good as Webguide for VMC if not better imho), the guide search is so much easier and I could easily add in Comskip (most of the above things or equivalent broke with the TV Pack for VMC) - I can't recommend 4TR and MP enough.

Glad you got your EPG sorted, if you do get stuck with 4TR maybe I can help :eek:
  24. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +580
    I am sure there was an issue with the integration into MP I could not live with. I can't for the life of me remember what it was but I do remember that it only became apparent once I installed 4TR :rolleyes:

That was something like 1.3.31 so might try out 1.4 (Thank you Acronis for making this possible:rolleyes:)
  25. Synchro

Synchro Active Member

Ratings:
    +164
    C-Beebies AKA as "Crack for kids". 99% of my media centre PC TV usage is for the children, I hardly ever get to watch it (note to self: Make a 2nd media centre)