1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MediaPortal and Epg

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by fergy93, Sep 24, 2008.

1. fergy93

fergy93 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all, recently built my first htpc, and am now in the process of adding the software.

I like VMC, but after seeing mediaportal decided that was the one for me !

I have read numerous threads especially theydons, which are all brilliant and really helpful.

However, can i bugger get the epg to populate, several late nights later and am still no further forward. I have tried with webepg and i get nothing. Can anyone please help ??
  2. s_inman

s_inman Active Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Hi, sorry I cant help with your question but have you tried asking over at the mediaportal forums? Might be worth a shot.
  3. tony_yates

tony_yates Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Have you had a look at this Mediaportal WebEPG ?

If you're still having trouble after reading it, I should be able to help; it all works nicely on my setup.

Tony
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. fergy93

fergy93 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Tony, i have seen this guide before, but i will go through it again, and if i still have problems i will come back to you.
  5. tony_yates

tony_yates Member

Ratings:
    +31
    I thought you might; I have to admit it is a bit fiddly, anyway give us a shout if needed.
  6. johndj1

johndj1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Can I just kickstart this thread again? I've installed MediaPortal and tries to set up the EPG through the config whereupon I get the message that xmltv.exe is not installed.

I downloaded xmltv and decompressed it into a folder within the MediaPortal Application folder and, in the config, browsed and identified the folder where I decompressed it to.

I then tried to grab the schedules using the rt grabber and it opened a DOS window but pulled an exception stating that the specified file or directory does not exist.

I've also tried the WEBEPG config and I can map the channels fine, but when I run the webepg exe it connects to the internet but doesn't seem to do anything else. Additionally, the file it should create never gets created.

Beginning to lose hope on ever getting an EPG set up.

Can anyone help? :lease:

Thanks

Dan
  7. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac Active Member

Ratings:
    +565
  8. timbow

timbow Member

Ratings:
    +4
    You don't say if you're using satellite or terrestrial feeds, but if you're using satellite, I can highly recommend this! It grabs the EPG over the air in the same way a Sky or Freesat box does. My only beef with it is that is uses quite a bit of processing power, but I've set it up to grab in the early hours so it doesn't bother me.
  9. mossym

mossym Member

Ratings:
    +1,486
    have you tried xmltv gui? might make it easier, download the epg external to mediaportal, then it will get imported automatically once you tell mediaportal where it is stored..
  10. johndj1

johndj1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

Is that the same as this XMLTV GUI

If so, I found it earlier on this afternoon so I'll give it a go tonight. BTW, I'm trying to access Digital Terrestrial.

D
  11. johndj1

johndj1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    nope

still not working

anyone else got any ideas?
  12. MikeK

MikeK Member

Ratings:
    +320

This is a bit odd - I installed Mediaportal 1.0.0.0 recently to try it again (didn't like the old version), and the EPG works fine for me without downloading any plugins at all!
    I'm using a Freecom DVB-T USB stick at the moment - just trying MP on my desktop before I install it on the HTPC, which has a NovaHD-S2 satellite card in it, so not 100% whether there will be any difference switching from DVB-T to DVB-S.

All I did was go into

TV Server Configuration - TV Channels - TV EPG Grabber

and select all channels in the LH column and English in the RH column.
    Then hit OK, and exit!

That was it - and the EPG is working fine (even downloaded the TV logos which makes things look that little bit better - at least once I copied them into the right place ;) )

PS - nearly forgot but I also did

TV Server Configuration - TV Servers - MyPC

and in the Window, highlighed the TV card, hit EDIT and enabled EPG grabbing on that card!
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  13. MikeK

MikeK Member

Ratings:
    +320
    Here's a screengrab from a few mins ago

(I'm using the Bleazlewide skin)

Attached Files:

• EPG.jpg
      EPG.jpg
      Size:
      136.8 KB
      Views:
  14. johndj1

johndj1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. Does it matter that I'm not using the TV Server version, rather the inbuilt TV Engine?

When I tried TV Server, I had my PC identified as the server, but when scanning for channels, it wouldn't find any so I went back to the internal TV engine and it scanned fine.
  15. MikeK

MikeK Member

Ratings:
    +320

Hmmm, couldn't say TBH, but it certainly sounds like that might be where the problem lies.

On the tuning issue, I had a similar experience on the Satellite card (NovaHD-S2).
    With the latest drivers from the Hauppauge website, TV Server scanned but found nothing - switched to the older drivers which came on the original CD, and it scanned fine. I'm running XP BTW!
    I just put it down to MP being a bit "flaky" - the latest drivers worked OK with WinTV7!
  16. johndj1

johndj1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    MikeK, you're a star!!

I re-installed with TV Server, scanned for channels and it worked fine. Got everything working, including the EPG.

One question for you though. How did you manage to get the channel icons to download as well? That would be the icing on the cake.
  17. patient000

patient000 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Download the Logos from here. It should install the logos in one of the following folders depending on your OS (Vista or XP).

Vista - C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Thumbs\TV\Logos
    XP - C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Thumbs\TV\Logos
  18. johndj1

johndj1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's awesome.

Thanks

Dan
  19. Noyabronok

Noyabronok Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    All of this seems to be for UK only. I can't get over the air EPG to work in USA using my Hauppauge 1250 ATSC over the air tuner. Anyone have any ideas?

Alex
  20. mossym

mossym Member

Ratings:
    +1,486
    this is a uk forum so not a lot of USA knowledge here, have you tried avsforum?
  21. Noyabronok

Noyabronok Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  22. southie

southie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've had a long look around for the solution to my problem, so I'm posting in this thread in the hope that someone might be able to help.

Finally figured out how to get the TV server working, and I can now view TV. However, I get no EPG data. I've tried looking in the TV Server configuration under pluggins for WEBEPG, but it's not there. I've looked to see if I can find it online, but it's a part of the Mediaportal install isn't it?

If anyone can help me figure out why I've got no EPG I'd be very happy.

I've got a Haupaugge DVB 500 card, running 10.0.2 on Vista ultimate.

Thanks

Rich
  23. Biffa001

Biffa001 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    I had tons of EPG problems until I installed teh 4TR (For The Record) addon along with XTML grabber and now it all works aok - youu can find it on the MediaPortal forums.:)
  24. southie

southie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Biffa

I was trying to get the native EPG working before I set up 4TR. Do you know where XML grabber gets it's xml file from?

R
  25. Biffa001

Biffa001 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    IIRC you can set it up for different sources and I use the Radio Times option which works great.
  26. surfermc

surfermc Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Is it the XMLTV GUI Grabber that you were thinking of? I have found this to be excellent in combination with Fortherecord.
  27. Biffa001

Biffa001 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    thats the one - I have it setup to update every morning (in silent mode).