1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Player with full web browser ..?

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Media Players' started by advid, Apr 11, 2011.

1. advid

advid Member

Ratings:
    +18
    ...is there a media player at the moment (or something coming soon) that will play back my media (films / pictures / music) via plug in HDD via 1 or more USB ports PLUS allow FULL INTERNET access (ie Google anything / play all flash / BBC iPlayer / YouTube ect - must have HDMI out of course ....?

I don't want to network any of my PC's - just a stanalone media player that will also allow me to browse anything on the web as well.....

Anything like this anywhere ?
  2. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,730
    Boxee Box is what your looking for. Has webkit browser with flash 10 support, works with usb keyboard and mice, the next firmware update also includes some upgrades to the web browser like history and favourtites management.
  3. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +333
    High end android table like Motorola Xoom, webkit, flash, HDMI out, USB connections.

iPad 2 ?
  4. bubblegum57

bubblegum57 Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Does Boxee Box have FULL internet access?

It has apps, but not full access, or am I wrong?

HTPC is what is needed for Full access.
  5. advid

advid Member

Ratings:
    +18
    ...that's what I thought - i'm sure it does NOT have full access to the web.... It has a 'browser' but reviews say its not that good or not totally 100% everything...
  6. graham.myers

graham.myers Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +911
    I think you maybe correct in saying a full blown HTPC is the way to go. It looks like most streamers are adding web browsing functionality piecemeal. One release they give web browsing, next release they allow bookmarks etc. I think it wil get there but its slow going for now.
  7. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,730
    It has a full webkit browser same as most other web browsers out there (safari/chrome/iOS/Android), you can surf the net with it and view websites.

The only thing it doesn't have is silverlight/wmp access if you use sites with those custom plugins then they wont work.
  8. boomboomboom

boomboomboom Member

Ratings:
    +5
    There are many Android 2.2 media players coming very soon. These will be based on existing Android tablets, relatively inexpensive, and will have full browsers (with Flash 10.1)..

Watch a space near you soon. An orange space is most likely..
  9. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +333
    Also many Android 3.0 (Gingerbread) tablets that do everything you ask available soon and some right now.
  10. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +333
  11. TooNerdy

TooNerdy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The Boxee Box by D-Link for what it can do with up to date firmware - is the best available media player right now that allows web browsing, internet video streaming and flash video support and may improve with future firmware updates... it is not perfect, but good for web streaming and web surfing at the moment...
    There are some websites deliberately blocking Boxee like Hulu here in the USA...

There are more media players coming out with some having Android 2.2 Froyo and a Chrome web browser - I would not expect flawless web browsing because Android 2.2 and Chrome may be resource intensive and performance may be hindered by the hardware in these media players.

If you want something perfect you may have to build or buy an HTPC... the extra cash spent and extra hours for maintence may justify less headaches or frustration in the future...
  12. advid

advid Member

Ratings:
    +18
    ...I've already got a PC linked to my TV via HDMI (HTPC)....

Just looking for something a bit more 'mobile'....