Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4,0 - PART 3

Discussion in 'Freesat Forum' started by raydon, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caldirun

caldirun Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Use cables not WiFi
  2. Monster900

Monster900 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I am, well, sort of. Devolo AV 200 homeplugs which appear to have an actual transmission of around 100 - 120 Mbps, reported from the 'Cockpit' monitoring software.
  3. MikeyBlu

MikeyBlu Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Ah, if only either my Panasonic or Sony TVs would actually play any video content from my Foxsat. :(

Otherwise, brilliant, and at least we can now watch stuff via VLC on our laptops regardless of recording format. Many thanks! :thumbsup:
  4. KayCS

KayCS Member

Ratings:
    +71
    Hi:hiya:

Not a big problem for me but just curious, using bundle 4.0.8 if I set one recording to record say BBC 1 HD then a second one for ITV 1 HD with the same date and times I get a conflict message saying something like “recording not set”, “you have 1 satellite feed and already have 1 concurrent recordings scheduled”.:confused:

Not a big problem as programming the HDR in what I would call the normal way through the HDR / TV there is no conflict as I do have twin feeds.

Chris
  5. adrianf36

adrianf36 Member

Ratings:
    +476
    The web interface is not able to detect how many satellite feeds you have plugged in so you need to tell it. You will need to visit the "settings" page in the web interface and set the number of satellite feeds to two. This will enable the recordig conflict detection algorithm in the web interface to make allowance for the twin feed and therefore remove the "error" message you're currently seeing.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Jono8800

Jono8800 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Good evening all,

I’ve notice that I now have EPG information for Sky News, PICK TV and Challenge (but not for PICK TV+1 or Challenge+1). I wonder if these will shortly be added to the Freesat EPG?

Anyway, here are the default authority values to allow series recording via the web interface (Sky News does not broadcast this information at the moment):

Code:
    --Challenge
    update tbl_svc set aucDefaultAuthority='www.challenge.co.uk' where usSvcID='6031';
    --PICK TV
    update tbl_svc set aucDefaultAuthority='Picktv.sky.com' where usSvcID='4751';
  7. Questioner9

Questioner9 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I just want to post to say thanks Nowster for your excellent patch.

I'd also like to say thanks to Raydon, Adrianf36 and everyone else involved in the custom firmware and web interface.

All your work truly makes the Humax a great box to use. :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  8. merlin777

merlin777 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i successfully mapped my hdr as drive z in internet explorer and ive been able to access it fine.

just recently its been displaying a red cross next to the drive name and refusing to connect. i can connect ok using the webif in ie9.

i tried disconnecting it and remapping it but it says it can't find the hdr (i'm using the address i used before, \\Foxsat-HDR\Media).

any ideas?

i don't know if its relevant but when i try to play a file using the webif, i get all the buttons and a message saying 'nowplaying...etc' but just a blank window and no playback. i'm using windows 7.
  9. merlin777

merlin777 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i found another thread that suggested i try \\192.168.0.6\Media for mapping and this has worked.

i cant understand why the previous one stopped working?
  10. Jono8800

Jono8800 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Your router will have allocated a new (different) IP address, maybe because you've got a new piece of network equipment, or just becuase you've switches things on in a different order. To stop it happening again, either put a reservation into your router so the Humax gets issued the same IP address each time (this is what I do and I allocate 192.168.0.250 to it), or set it manually via the settop interface.

Hope this helps,

Jono
  11. merlin777

merlin777 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Jono. I think I've done this. In my router set up I have an address reserved for the humax - 192.168.0.2

Is that what you mean?
  12. Jono8800

Jono8800 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    That sounds like you've done it. I'd just check that the MAC address for the Humax is listed (you can see it on the network page of the settop interface), as it appears you having to connect via a different IP address at the moment.
  13. Jono8800

Jono8800 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    It been announced on Twitter (by PickTV) that Sky News, Challenge and Pick TV will launch on Freesat on Monday (the EPG is already being broadcast). The channel numbers are expected to be:

144 Pick TV
    145 Challenge
    202 Sky News

As there is no EPG information for the +1 variants, it is not expect that these will be in the EPG (but can still be received with the custom firmware).

Raydon, here are the entries for the DefAuthInit.sql file if you would be kind enough to do the honours:

Code:
    --Challenge
    update tbl_svc set aucDefaultAuthority='www.challenge.co.uk' where usSvcID='6031';
    --PICK TV
    update tbl_svc set aucDefaultAuthority='Picktv.sky.com' where usSvcID='4751';
    --Sky News
    update tbl_svc set aucDefaultAuthority='news.sky.com' where usSvcID='4704';
  14. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +401
    raydon is in a far away place taking a long holiday and will be back in the new year.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Jono8800

Jono8800 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks REPASSAC,

While Raydon’s on his well-earned holiday, here’s what you need to do if you want to add reservations by the custom firmware web interface.

Launch a telnet session to the Foxsat HDR, then enter the following lines one at a time:

Code:
    sqlite3 /opt/epg/channels.db "update tbl_svc set aucDefaultAuthority='www.challenge.co.uk' where usSvcID='6031';"
    sqlite3 /opt/epg/channels.db "update tbl_svc set aucDefaultAuthority='Picktv.sky.com' where usSvcID='4751';"
    sqlite3 /opt/epg/channels.db "update tbl_svc set aucDefaultAuthority='news.sky.com' where usSvcID='4704';"
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. MikeKL

MikeKL Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for providing this very useful option :);)

I am running latest version of modified firmware and have tried a few times to instal your settop-patch via usb stick using method specified where nothing appears to be being loaded onto HDR. (USB stick flashes and appears to be being accessed correctly by HDR etc?)

I have followed instructions carefully a number of times, I have also powered down unit fully before trying the method again so I may be missing something?

I have used putty and telnet to access HDR to check to see what's loaded using "opkg list-installed" and settop-patch confirmed as not listed?

Where do I find the instal log file?

Any help appreciated.
  17. David500

David500 Member

Ratings:
    +102
    On the USB stick.
  18. nowster

nowster Member

Ratings:
    +114
    Check the contents of the USB stick now (after it's been in the HDR). Is there now a settop-patch_4.0.9_mips.opk.done file and a settop-patch_4.0.9_mips.opk.install.log file on it? If not, the HDR hasn't recognised the USB stick. If there is, what's in the settop-patch_4.0.9_mips.opk.install.log file?
  19. MikeKL

MikeKL Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I expected to find log on USB stick but nothing, there are no additional files on the usb stick other than settop-patch_4.0.9_mips.opk (I am using small 256MB stick that normally works well very with the HDR, with nothing on it other than settop-patch_4.0.9_mips.opk)

hmmmmm, so others are successfully installing the opk via usb stick without needing to set/modify any options on HDR via web interface, telnet etc.

Will re-download the zip file and try process again and provide feedback, probably tomorrow at similar time
  20. nowster

nowster Member

Ratings:
    +114
    I've never had success with my 256MB USB stick for firmware updates. Try a larger one.
  21. CPN

CPN Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Ever since this USB installable package became available, I have dedicated a 256Mb SanDisk Cruzer Mini that I have used exclusively for the purpose since it was one of the few USB sticks I had that the HDR did not complain about! :)
  22. MikeKL

MikeKL Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK as suggested I tried a larger 16GB USB stick and for loading opk it worked fine & first time!

Have the log and done files on usb stick confirming load of opk, so tried a short recording and can confirm that original recording can be read/watched in a remote location. Big thank you, great option for backing-up and utilising more of the FOXSAT HDR quality Video files in another location. :thumbsup::smashin:
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  23. Bobsta

Bobsta Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I've been using Raydon's firmware in my box for what seems like a couple of years now... and love it, although TBH I don't really make the most of all the features.

Anyway, the past few months I've felt our box is running really slowly. It's kinda sluggish in responding to the remote, takes a long time to boot from standby, and generally feels like it's chugging.

I was running 4.0.8. Upgraded to 4.0.9 this evening and no difference in the performance.

If I telnet in and run top, I can see that there's no CPU idle whatsoever. The process /opt/bin/epg -f /opt/tmp/epg.copy consumes nearly 70% CPU, with the rest being taken up by /usr/bin/settop processes.
    Could anyone tell me if this is normal? (i.e. does the HDR always report this?). If not, I guess this could be the source of my problem.

My full top output is currently:
    Code:
    Mem: 100692K used, 24660K free, 0K shrd, 10700K buff, 48408K cached
    CPU: 82.9% usr 17.0% sys  0.0% nic  0.0% idle  0.0% io  0.0% irq  0.0% sirq
    Load average: 1.24 0.99 0.47 3/125 820
      PID  PPID USER     STAT   VSZ %MEM CPU %CPU COMMAND
      389     1 root     R     9664  7.7   0 66.9 /opt/bin/epg -f /opt/tmp/epg.copy
      422   414 root     S     307m250.8   0 10.9 /usr/bin/settop
      521   414 root     S     307m250.8   0 10.7 /usr/bin/settop
      440   414 root     S     307m250.8   0  3.5 /usr/bin/settop
      820   811 root     R     1624  1.2   0  1.3 top
      479   414 root     S     307m250.8   0  1.1 /usr/bin/settop
      478   414 root     S     307m250.8   0  0.7 /usr/bin/settop
      441   414 root     S     307m250.8   0  0.7 /usr/bin/settop
      482   414 root     S     307m250.8   0  0.7 /usr/bin/settop
      462   414 root     S     307m250.8   0  0.5 /usr/bin/settop
      415   414 root     S     307m250.8   0  0.3 /usr/bin/settop
      420   414 root     S     307m250.8   0  0.2 /usr/bin/settop
    ... etc, etc.

I'd be grateful for some advice before I go off hunting down what could be causing the sluggishness.

Thanks,

Bobsta
  24. nowster

nowster Member

Ratings:
    +114
    No it's not normal, but it only happens when the "epg" process is updating things. I'm seeing 75%-80% idle whilst watching a TV programme using time shift. I wouldn't be worried. Try again 15 minutes later and you'll notice it's a lot more idle.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. adrianf36

adrianf36 Member

Ratings:
    +476
    Hi Bobsta,

The epg process you have spotted is a web interface process which runs on startup and looks to see if there is any new EPG information to process and if so, parses that into a database for use in the EPG pages of the web interface. The parsing process usually takes about five minutes.

This process runs at standard priority and therefore will be allocated processor time by the Linux kernel according to what other processes are running and require processor time (taking into account process priority etc.). The fact that at the time you looked it was consuming 70% CPU simply means that there was nothing else requiring processor time at the same or higher priority at that moment.

There are a number of web interface processes which run at startup. Some run in parallel with the Humax settop application startup and some are forced to run before. One example of the latter is the application of channel edits by the channel editor process. This MUST be completed before the Humax settop process starts so that when it does, the edited channel data is read into memory as opposed to the un-edited version. This process can take 10-15 seconds and delays the starting of the Humax process by the same amount of time (which can seem like an age if you're waiting for it to complete!!). Having said that this will only happen on the first boot of each day as logic in the startup scripts "knows" if the updates have been applied since the last housekeeping run and therefore skips this unecessary action on subsequent reboots.

So, if you're using the channel editor facility of the web interface you will see longer boot times on the first boot of each day by 10-15 seconds. Don't know if that explains your observations but thought it was worth explaining.

Regards,

Adrian.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  26. Bobsta

Bobsta Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Adrian. That's hugely helpful and I think will be the cause of my issue. I have used the channel editor in the past (IIRC only to rename "BBC Alba" to something a little more comical/childish). I'll undo those channel edits tonight and monitor the box's bootup time going forward.

Cheers,

Bobsta
  27. adrianf36

adrianf36 Member

Ratings:
    +476
    I take the point that maybe you can afford to "lose" the channel edits you have currently configured. Another alternative, if the longer boot time annoys you and you want to keep these or any future channel edits, is to set a daily timer to wake up the box at e.g. 4am and shut it down again at 4:05. This will get the "extended" first boot of the day out of the way automatically and all subsequent (manual) boots that day should be "normal" speed.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  28. Chippy99

Chippy99 Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Newbie question:

I am about to upgrade the hard disk, but am a complete numpty when it comes to all things linux.

Would I be right in thinking that the file "reserve.info" in /mnt/hd1 contains the recording schedule?

Can I ftp this file over to my PC and then FTP it back again once I have installed the new disk, to put my schedule of recordings back? I have a load of series links and stuff and really don't want to have to manually enter it all again.
  29. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +401
    Spot on.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. Chippy99

Chippy99 Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Thanks
Thread Status: