Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4,0 - PART 3

Discussion in 'Freesat Forum' started by raydon, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raydon

raydon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,076
    Continued from http://www.avforums.com/forums/free...r-bundle-foxsat-hdr-release-4-0-part-2-a.html

First post from part 1 of the thread repeated here for your convenience.

O.K guys, here's what you Foxsat HDR owners have been waiting for.
    To further enhance your Freesat experience, I am very pleased to announce the release of v4.0 of the Media & File Server Bundle.
    v3.0c dowloads are now standing at 3,941 so I'm hoping this release will prove as popular, if not even more so.

Firstly, I would like to thank af123 (or af12345 as he is known here on AV Forums) for kindly allowing me to use his original ideas and sources from the HDR Fox T2 web interface development, as the basis for the web interface and support applications you find released here in v4.0.
    And also for agreeing to host the web based repository for the application packages. Without his help none of this would have been possible.
    Thank You !

New features in v4.0.x

A fully functioning web interface for the Foxsat HDR.

A package management system with web based repository for the downloading and updating of applications.
    This can be accessed both from the web interface and from the command line.

A service management system to display status of custom applications, start or stop them, and disable/enable boot-time autostart.
    Again, this is accessible from the web interface and the command line.

Latest release v4.1.1 is available for download from HERE or HERE.

v4.1.1 is based on Humax's latest v1.00.21 firmware released on 30/07/2012 and is a complete standalone replacement for it.
    What this means is that a reflash with the standard Humax v1.00.21 firmware before flashing with v4.1.1 is not necessary.
    It will upgrade any earlier version of installed firmware, either standard or modified, to v1.00.21 with custom mods.

Full instructions on how to install everything are provided in the included ReadMe.txt and I suggest you read this carefully before you start, as there are many changes compared to the earlier v3.0 releases.

For those who are already comfortable with installing and using the earlier packages here follows a quick start guide.

Flash the firmware in the usual way, then open your favourite browser and enter the IP address of the HDR into the browsers address bar. Remember to use the IP address, not the hostname, as the netbios nameserver service is not available until you have installed samba.

You will then be presented with this basic web interface.

[​IMG]

From here you can browse your media files, and more importantly, download and install the full web interface. Click on the Download & Install button and after a short delay (depending on your internet connection speed) you will be presented with an installation status report.

[​IMG]

After that it is simply a matter of rebooting the HDR to initialise the full web interface. (Remember to refresh your browser, with the IP address only, in the address bar). You will then be presented with the full web interface index page.

[​IMG]

Clicking on Package Management will then display this page

[​IMG]

From here you can install the applications you wish to use on your HDR.
    Click on the pages top bar to return you to the index page.
    From there you can then select the Service Management option.

[​IMG]

From here you can stop and start your applications, and select which ones are auto-started at boot time.

Any additional information you might need can be found in the ReadMe.txt so please do me a favour and read it before posting any queries you might have. You may just find the answer there.

That's it then, I hope you all enjoy using this v4.0.x release

my regards to all here at AV Forums

raydon
    • Thanks Thanks x 29
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  2. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,491
    OK - let me know just what you want.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. CPN

CPN Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Just thought I would confirm that Humax's fix (as now embodied in raydon's latest custom software update) does actually work as I have just successfully recorded a 20min slot from the BBC Olympic 2 HD channel. :smashin:
  4. raydon

raydon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,076
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  5. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,491
    And now jumped to Number One.:clap::hiya:
    Congratulations on establishing and keeping up so much interest.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. kar999

kar999 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I assume I am right that with v4.0.8 you dont need to install 1.00.21 first?

Although most people will end up with 1.00.21 automatically ovenight OTA.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,116
    You are correct :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Get Go

Get Go Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I think there is a small typo in the read me. It says NOTE: This firmware is based on Humax's v1.00.20 release... I think it should read v1.00.21? And a big thanks to Raydon, af123 and all who worked on/contributed to this update. Cheers.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  9. nowster

nowster Member

Ratings:
    +114
    Many thanks for the timely update, raydon. I assume you already had the .21 update under embargo? If so, I also thank whoever leaked it to you.
  10. raydon

raydon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,076
    Thanks Get Go, just glad to see that someone has actually read the readme.txt. :D.
    Typo now fixed and new link posted. Can't take down the old link though, that's why I preferred the old 4shared hosting site. That typo is going to come back and haunt me forever now.:rolleyes:
  11. raydon

raydon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,076
    My lips are sealed. ;)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,116
    Flashed the new version at first boot today. It's just as if it wasn't ever removed by the overnight firmware update. Totally seamless - thanks Raydon :D

Done some extensive testing this morning. The HD Olympic streams now behave exactly like all other channels in respect of dual recording, third channel viewing and recording in non-freesat mode. You can pause em live now as well :D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. fat-tony

fat-tony Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Flashed the new version last night at 01.00. Working excellently and we now have the choice of SD or HD stream recording - thanks for the incredibly fast turnaround Raydon.

Were there any details on what actually fixed the issue in the Humax firmware? I've read the posts regarding timing issues and sync bytes, but I would have thought that any new method in calculating media length within the Humax firmware would be a non-trivial exercise. Maybe the problem was much simpler to fix?
  14. Pat Flanel

Pat Flanel Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Many thanks for this update and for all the sterling work you all have done in the past. Just clicking the Thanks button doesn't seem enough.
  15. elyobelyob

elyobelyob Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've now lost access remotely, was this an issue that arose from the OTA? Going to flash later .. but have been rebooting my router and stuff remotely with no luck.

Thanks!

p.s. watch out for me outside the Fox & Hounds pub on Portsmouth Road tomorrow during the TT race ;) I'll be the large one .. probably wearing a TdF t-shirt :)
  16. David500

David500 Member

Ratings:
    +102
    Yes the OTA download for Humax firmware v1.0.21 removes part of the CFW.
    Make sure you download & install CFW v4.0.8 from the post #1 of this thread.
    Do not re-install CFW v4.0.7 as it will be overwritten in tomorrows housekeeping.
  17. caldirun

caldirun Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Raydon is there a way to put the old version of samba onto my HDRs so I can send files to them, it is not just big .ts files that will not transfer even 2.3GB files don't work. Every other file type that I have tried works, just .ts files it don't like, I have sent an 8GB .mkv with no problem (I know it wont play!)
  18. paragons

paragons Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I,m new to this so please be patient if i miss things out.
    I followed the readme file but all i get when i try and load the update file is E-ID

I have The latest firmware update on my humax
    and i know the usb stick workes as i've used "raydons_av2hdr" (great program by the way) to watch tv files

Software V = HPRSFCI 1.00.21
    L.V U7.54

Help

Thanks
  19. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +401
    The file is currupt and fails a check (or is for the wrong system) can you redownload the file after checking that it is release 4.0.8.
  20. Monster900

Monster900 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Worked perfectly. All previous settings have been retained.

Great work and thanks again.
  21. stokesd3

stokesd3 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Again top job keeping up with Humax's updates so the bundle can live on!

As my Broadband IP is dynamic, was wondering what the feasibility would be of the HDR emailing out the public address periodically to make control from anywhere easier? So far I've chosed to forward port 80 out to the internet to facilitate this.

Clearly the immediate issue is that the HDR only really knows the private default gateway and then the public default gateway but must be way of discovering this hmmm.
  22. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +401
    Suggest you add the INADYN component (package management), which togther with subscribing to a dynamic DNS service (many are free) will do exactly what you want. I suggest you use port 777 rather than the default 80 to reduce hacking attempts.
  23. stokesd3

stokesd3 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the info. Wouldn't it be simpler for the shell to fetch it via an HTTP link somehow, e.g. whatismyip.com etc.
  24. raydon

raydon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,076
    Yes, first you should uninstall samba 2.2.12 via the web interface, then download the samba_2.0.10-1_mips.opk installer file from HERE. Put it on a USB stick and plug in into your HDR while it is fully booted. then wait a minute or so for it to complete. When it has completed the opk file will have been renamed to opk.done and a log file named opk.install.log created with details of the install process.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +401
    Well we could - but what would we do with it. It's of no use within your lan.
    What is needed is a fully qualified domain name that the external users DNS service can resolve e.g. Foxsat22.noip.com

That is why there are quite a few such services out there.
    The way they work is that the client sends an predefined request to the service server (which sees the IP used) and updates it's DNS so, for exampe, stokesd3.noip.com how resulves to your current external dns.
  26. stokesd3

stokesd3 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Agree it's little use on the private LAN but remote record is immensely popular on Sky so this would be away of implementing something similar for HDR users? Just a thought :)
  27. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +401
    Excuse the typos - system won't let me correct currently.
    Remote record on Sky works very differently - changes are broadcast by Sky to a Sky+ box. They do not go by TCP/IP.

To get there by TCP/IP they would need to know the IP address or a F.Q.D.Name - this may be possible in some cases for them (If Sky is the ISP but not if they are not).
  28. stokesd3

stokesd3 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry to clarify the web interface would of course be used on the tv guide/remote record side of things. The only problem is that if my public IP is reassigned two days into a two week holiday, I can't access it no more :-( Additionally, a Windows solution wouldn't work as I don't leave my PC on for long periods.
  29. stokesd3

stokesd3 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Of course standardizing this as a package negates the need to register with 3rd party companies for dynamic DNS service free or not so it works straight out of the box :D
  30. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +401
    I really don't think you understand:
    1. Your IP changes every few days. You are in Spain. All you have is internet access.
    2. To get to your HDR you need to determine what the current routable IP is. The only way to do this is for an external server or service to know it.
    3. Some external service is always needed, it is just not possible to solve this totally on a HDR connected to a dynamic IP.

Hence the package provides a client which works with dynamic dns servers. (there may also be a client in your router, but usually no choice of provider).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.