Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4,0 - PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually I use samba on my mac. Normally if the foxsat wasn't appearing in Finder I'd just hit CMD+K and enter smb://foxsat-hdr or smb://ip address and it would connect

I tried the ip address but no joy. Unless Apple messed something up with a software update I can't think of anything that changed [apart from the Channel Editor]

I can connect using VLC an its UnP protocol on the mac.

Would completely reinstalling Raydon's Firmware be of any benefit or would it just be the same as the reinstall of Samba plugin?

Does the webif services tab show samba as installed and set to auto start and running?

the last 3/4 days my custom channel edit file keeps resetting itself back to standard, must be after the 3am house keeping shed,
so i re-upload my saved HDR_channels_update file via filezilla to channels folder, reboot all's fine channels list back to the way i want it,
then next morning boot up same thing gets overwritten back to standard.
what's changed in the last 4 days?

Sounds like you are using the old version - update to the webif version.
Suspect that you will also have lost channel 4.

PC IP address is 192.168.0.5 and is set to be static through router. Correction to my previous post - the router IP address on my network is 192.168.0.1. The other number is DNS server address I assume but no clear from router interface when I log into it. Internet to the HDR is provided via Solwise power plugs (cable from router to plug in office and plug / cable in loungeroom).

Broadband provider is O2 with O2 wireless router.

Don't use VPN and not member of domain.

Last edited:
PC IP address is 192.168.0.5 and is set to be static through router. Correction to my previous post - the router IP address on my network is 192.168.0.1. The other number is DNS server address I assume but no clear from router interface when I log into it. Internet to the HDR is provided via Solwise power plugs (cable from router to plug in office and plug / cable in loungeroom).

Broadband provider is O2 with O2 wireless router.

Don't use VPN and not member of domain.

Those ip's look good - the question is where is your foxsat getting address
like 128.124.112.0 to 128.184.112.0 to 128.88.112.0 to 128.68.112.0.
Does the HDR show as a connected device on your router and if so with an ip in the 192.168.0 network?

HDR is seen by router and IP is 192.168.0.15 which is statically set by router.

HDR is seen by router and IP is 192.168.0.15 which is statically set by router.

Thats makes sense - it's a good way to do it as well. I don't understand where the foxsat is getting the ip address from - I think if I had the problem I would try setting a static address of 192.168.0.15 on the HDR to see if that cures the problem.

Sounds like you are using the old version - update to the webif version.
Suspect that you will also have lost channel 4.

did the webif update 2 days ago but still does the same, gets overwritten every night at the 3am house keeping shed.
could it be that i am still using my custom channel edit update file i saved from the pc version channel editor?
and yes lost channel 4 HD, how do i get back? just shows "no or bad signal"
thanks

did the webif update 2 days ago but still does the same, gets overwritten every night at the 3am house keeping shed.
could it be that i am still using my custom channel edit update file i saved from the pc version channel editor?
and yes lost channel 4 HD, how do i get back? just shows "no or bad signal"
thanks

Adrianf36 in post #1 of Web Interface Channel Editor Plug-in for Foxsat HDR states:

NOTE that because of the different mechanism used for applying channel edits ALL users will need to configure changes from scratch after install - including those who have been using the previous version of the Channel Editor up to now.

Adrianf36 in post #1 of Web Interface Channel Editor Plug-in for Foxsat HDR states:

NOTE that because of the different mechanism used for applying channel edits ALL users will need to configure changes from scratch after install - including those who have been using the previous version of the Channel Editor up to now.

indeed I did not imagine that anyone would install the new release and not config the new one.

@danr:
I had a go at compiling NFS support using the mips toolchain from the Humax website. I created an opkg file by using the T2 opkg file and replacing the binaries with the new ones. But there appears to be hardcoded paths in the binaries to /var etc, so it didn't work.

Did you ever get NFS to work? I'm trying to find a solution to getting my WDTV Live to talk to my Foxsat - samba 2 doesn't work, and I didn't get samba 3 to compile properly. I'm thinking NFS might be an alternative solution

Does the webif services tab show samba as installed and set to auto start and running?

After some rummaging around [and after your reminder to check had anything changed] it seems to be fixed.

For the record this is what I think the issue was. I had noticed the foxsat had been listing weird IP addresses for the DNS. I looked one up and it was some US company not involved with DNS at all.

So as an experiment on my router, [even though its not connected to the web] I changed the DNS from "Automatic via ISP" to manual and I input OpenDNS's IP address.

Then I checked the Foxsat and it made no difference, it still had its own random DNS IP address [even though it was set to automatic via DHCP] I also noticed the DNS IP address had changed and seemed to change of its own accord every so often. Anyway experiment over, I forgot I had changed the DNS on the Router.

So when I remembered, I changed it back, but Samba was still broke. By chance I added some scheduled recordings via Webif and once the Foxsat had restarted I tried to connect via samba and it worked.

So I can only presume it was the changing of the DNS on the Router that caused samba to some how break [but still allow access via MediaTomb, and Webif :confused:]

Sorry for not replying sooner and thanks for your help REPASSAC. :)

@danr:

Did you ever get NFS to work? I'm trying to find a solution to getting my WDTV Live to talk to my Foxsat - samba 2 doesn't work, and I didn't get samba 3 to compile properly. I'm thinking NFS might be an alternative solution
You probably know this already [but in case you don't], the foxsat's samba for some reason doesn't work with the WDTV Live so the fix was to use MediaTomb instead.

I installed 4.0.6 today and loaded the web interface, I could not set a networked drive and when I checked the services Samba was on Auto but not running, I set it to on, still no networked drive option in my computer. I tried Telnet, Filezilla, pinging, all worked.
I then deleted "Do not delete this file" and re-installed 4.0.6 then web interface, now i cant even ping the HDR, any ideas? please

I installed 4.0.6 today and loaded the web interface, I could not set a networked drive and when I checked the services Samba was on Auto but not running, I set it to on, still no networked drive option in my computer. I tried Telnet, Filezilla, pinging, all worked.
I then deleted "Do not delete this file" and re-installed 4.0.6 then web interface, now i cant even ping the HDR, any ideas? please

You did install the applications after the web interface?
How are you trying to ping the HDR by name or ip? by ip should always work if you have a network connection even wih Humax firmware.

You did install the applications after the web interface?
How are you trying to ping the HDR by name or ip? by ip should always work if you have a network connection even wih Humax firmware.
The HDR was recording last night when I could not ping it. I turned it on this morning and can now do everything but map a network drive, Samba is shown as on Auto Start up but is not on, I can select on but if I exit the web interface it is show as off when I return . I am thinking this is due to trying 4.0.6 as I have no problems with my HDR (the problem is with my wife's HDR that I have just connected a cable to) running 4.0.4

The HDR was recording last night when I could not ping it. I turned it on this morning and can now do everything but map a network drive, Samba is shown as on Auto Start up but is not on, I can select on but if I exit the web interface it is show as off when I return . I am thinking this is due to trying 4.0.6 as I have no problems with my HDR (the problem is with my wife's HDR that I have just connected a cable to) running 4.0.4

You did change the name of one of the HDR's on the settings page - you can't have two hosts on your network with the same name?

You did change the name of one of the HDR's on the settings page - you can't have two hosts on your network with the same name?
Yes I am using 2 names, if it were a network problem I would not be able to see it in Filezilla or use the web interface, Would I?
It just seems as though Samba is not setup, I have just tried turning the PC and HDR off and powering up, everything works fine but Samba. Shall I try 4.0.4? will a return to Humax 1.00.17 clear it out before loading 4.0.4?

Do you get any error message if using telnet you enter:
service start samba

Going back to 4.0.4 will not make any difference.

p.s. You could try removing and reinstalling samba - remember to set the workgroup to match you PC's.

Last edited:
Do you get any error message if using telnet you enter:
service start samba

Going back to 4.0.4 will not make any difference.

p.s. You could try removing and reinstalling samba - remember to set the workgroup to match you PC's.
I tried service start samba, I got the reply
Starting samba...
Done.
Dawns HDR~#
Dawns HDR~#
I am now on 4.0.4.
Can I clear everything out, I thought reloading 4.0.4 would do this but the Web interface came straight back up with the same settings.

There were no changes to samba between the releases. If you want to reinstall then delete /opt/etc/.DO_NOT_DELETE_THIS_FILE.

How are you attempting to reach the samba share. if you are using the ip can you check it on the HDR setup.
If you reinstall remember to reset the host name and workgroup.

There were no changes to samba between the releases. If you want to reinstall then delete /opt/etc/.DO_NOT_DELETE_THIS_FILE.

How are you attempting to reach the samba share. if you are using the ip can you check it on the HDR setup.
If you reinstall remember to reset the host name and workgroup.
I am using My computer in Vista x64 SP1 to map a network drive, this uses Samba, I think
I thought I just needed to change the host name, why workgroup as well? I have now loaded Loader 7.54 and 1.00.17 so all is cleared out, I can ping but nothing else.
How would you suggest I now proceed?

I am using My computer in Vista x64 SP1 to map a network drive, this uses Samba, I think
I thought I just needed to change the host name, why workgroup as well? I have now loaded Loader 7.54 and 1.00.17 so all is cleared out, I can ping but nothing else.
How would you suggest I now proceed?

But what are trying to map \\ip\Media or \\FOXSAT-HDR\Media.

All windows versions pick up the local workgroup first - some take longer than others to see other workgroups.

I would reinstall 4.0.6 - and then the full web interface and then the applications. I would do this with the other HDR off as you will need to change the name again and workgroup (unless you are using the default "WORKGROUP" on your PC)

But what are trying to map \\ip\Media or \\FOXSAT-HDR\Media.

All windows versions pick up the local workgroup first - some take longer than others to see other workgroups.

I would reinstall 4.0.6 - and then the full web interface and then the applications. I would do this with the other HDR off as you will need to change the name again and workgroup (unless you are using the default "WORKGROUP" on your PC)
I only have 1 workgroup, I select map network drive in my computer, I then get the option to browse for folder, if I click this only my PC is shown, if my HDR is on I get Foxsat-HDR shown. I have my HDR switched off when trying the other one.

I only have 1 workgroup, I select map network drive in my computer, I then get the option to browse for folder, if I click this only my PC is shown, if my HDR is on I get Foxsat-HDR shown. I have my HDR switched off when trying the other one.

First using telnet verify that samba is running (just enter service) it should be running and set to auto start then What do you get if you select map network drive but don't browse and enter \\ip-address-hdr\Media manually.

Post post any error messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom