Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Extender

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Media Players' started by matt72033, Aug 24, 2012.

1. matt72033

matt72033 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

A bit new to this, but I've just bought a Synology DS212j NAS and am now looking for a media extender. I'm currently using my xbox, 360 but want something built for the task.

Was looking at the WD TV Live, but if anyone could suggest anything better i'd be interested to hear

Thanks in advance
  2. halfelite

halfelite Member

Ratings:
    +66
    what file formats will you be playing? over wired or wireless?
  3. matt72033

matt72033 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mostly .avi but I have a few .mp4's that the xbox wont play. Same with music a few mpeg 4's the xbox won't play. I can't really be bothered converting them so it would have to play those.

The provision for wired is there but only because i was getting some lag before I had the NAS, so far with it wirelessly streaming to my laptop it seems pretty good. But i guess Wired would be the safest option.
  4. matt72033

matt72033 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ideally would allow me to use lovefilm with it
  5. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,801
    WDTV Live would be fine though it doesn't have Loveflim.

Support Lovefilm is pretty rare, supposedly the HDI dune players will be getting Loveflim in a future firmware update so maybe the DuneTV101 might be worth investigating, (it's very similar to WDTV Live).

Other boxes with Loveflim are the Sony N200 media players but they have poor media support, I think they can play avi/mp4 over DLN though like the xbox they could be bad at that.
  6. graham.myers

graham.myers Active Member

Ratings:
    +922
    Even though it was me who said Lovefilm is supposedly coming in a future firmware for Dune I would recommend not buying a streamer on the basis of promised features.