Media Extender

matt72033

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

A bit new to this, but I've just bought a Synology DS212j NAS and am now looking for a media extender. I'm currently using my xbox, 360 but want something built for the task.

Was looking at the WD TV Live, but if anyone could suggest anything better i'd be interested to hear

Thanks in advance

what file formats will you be playing? over wired or wireless?

what file formats will you be playing? over wired or wireless?

Mostly .avi but I have a few .mp4's that the xbox wont play. Same with music a few mpeg 4's the xbox won't play. I can't really be bothered converting them so it would have to play those.

The provision for wired is there but only because i was getting some lag before I had the NAS, so far with it wirelessly streaming to my laptop it seems pretty good. But i guess Wired would be the safest option.

WDTV Live would be fine though it doesn't have Loveflim.

Support Lovefilm is pretty rare, supposedly the HDI dune players will be getting Loveflim in a future firmware update so maybe the DuneTV101 might be worth investigating, (it's very similar to WDTV Live).

Other boxes with Loveflim are the Sony N200 media players but they have poor media support, I think they can play avi/mp4 over DLN though like the xbox they could be bad at that.

WDTV Live would be fine though it doesn't have Loveflim.

Support Lovefilm is pretty rare, supposedly the HDI dune players will be getting Loveflim in a future firmware update so maybe the DuneTV101 might be worth investigating, (it's very similar to WDTV Live).

Other boxes with Loveflim are the Sony N200 media players but they have poor media support, I think they can play avi/mp4 over DLN though like the xbox they could be bad at that.
Even though it was me who said Lovefilm is supposedly coming in a future firmware for Dune I would recommend not buying a streamer on the basis of promised features.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom