Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MC Escher 'Waterfall' working model realised...

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by Chadford, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Chadford

Chadford Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,269
    [​IMG]
    Waterfall (M. C. Escher) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Watch 1080 full screen...

YouTube - Waterfall

How it's done?...
    Is this how the Escher Waterfall machine works? - Boing Boing
    ...Hmm, don't think the above explanation is quite right, I think the woodworking is explained correctly though.
    I think it's all filmed in one cut. I suspect there's batteries and a pump hidden in the base. There's a suspicious looking slot in the box where he pours the water in. I would guess half the water pours into the base section and is pumped up to the top section and is timed to look correct. The bottom section will probably have a method of recovering the water and feeding it back to box under the wheel to recycle it.

Very impressive stuff. :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 9
  2. DPinBucks

DPinBucks Active Member

Ratings:
    +968
    The water going up the slope when he pours it in is Photoshopped. Look at the leading edge: it doesn't flow correctly.

I think the construction is genuine, but it needs another look. It might be one of those illusions caused by separate bits filmed in front of each other (like the Channel 4 logos).

There's certainly more water flowing around the waterfall and wheel than he poured in originally. I guess, as you say, it's pumped around.
  3. DPinBucks

DPinBucks Active Member

Ratings:
    +968
    Hmm...

Having looked again at the explanation link, I'm not so sure, now. It could be flowing along the ground as he says.
  4. sniffer66

sniffer66 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,319
    Excellent. My dad had a hardcover Escher book when I was a kid - it used to fascinate me for hours
  5. PoochJD

PoochJD Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,917
    Hi,

It's an extremely clever video clip, for sure, but it has to be 100% fake! :(

Ignore the issue about the way the water does/does not flow, just look at how the device has been constructed - from wood. It wouldn't be physically possible to build the contraption, if you follow Escher's "design". That's the whole point of his works: that the illusion is "impossible", and that's what makes them so brilliant. :)

Also, because of the fact the "designs" are in 2D, but use depth perception to convince the human eye that what you are seeing is a 3D image. Transferring that into actual three dimensions wouldn't be possible in my view, so the video has to be a fake.

Still very clever though. :)

Pooch
  6. Chadford

Chadford Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,269
    Does this help Pooch (this is how I see it)...

[​IMG]

There are two independent water paths fed from the base of the thing...
    1) One that zig-zags downhill and along the floor (but looks to be going up).
    2) One that is pumped to the top of the tower and falls onto the wheel.

He's created an optical allusion in wood so that both paths looked to be joined (but are actually nowhere near each other). The other very clever bit is that he's timed perfectly the initial flow of water so that when the water hits the end run on the floor, the second path is just pumping to the top and thus they seem to be the same flow (if you look carefully they are visably not the same flow). :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,386
  8. Toko Black

Toko Black Active Member

Ratings:
    +979
    I think the model in the first video is part CGI - where the waterfall drop is larger than the height of the base where the wheel it is potentially CGI because when he walks past the shadows don't match and that is the optimum point for doing it.