1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

maximum screen size

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by Steevan01, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Steevan01

Steevan01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have just purchased the epson tw6000 and I have a 7m x4m room this will go in- i was thinking of a 120" screen from crosby and bown but now thinking of going bigger with a 150" screen- will this be too big for my room or has anyone used it a this side with good results?
  2. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,822
    Screen size is relative to seating distance and resolution of the media you are using.

For a 150" wide screen you should be seated a minimum 14-15ft from the screen if displaying a 1080p image.If the resolution is less you should sit even further back.

Epson Europe EH-TW6000 Projection Calculator - Throw Distance and Screen Size

You will also find the image to be not very bright with such a large screen unless your room is like a batcave.In an average room with some ambient light the image will be quite dim unless you use a screen with some gain to compensate for the lack of brightness.

Unless you are going to be seated well back (14ft+) I would suggest 120" to be your max size unless you are going to be happy with a dimish soft image.
  3. Steevan01

Steevan01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for this - I will be 15ft to 20ft away from the screen and so i will probably go for the 150"- thanks for the advice

i can always view a reduced image on the bigger screen anyway which is fine
  4. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,761
    are you talking diag sizes, if so Keith`s advice is spot on

if your room has ambient light and you use a 150" the image will be too big and looked washed out.

I certainly wouldn`t use a big screen then zoom it down as you`ll end up with quite large borders all the way round which is what everyone else is trying to get rid of.

you really do need a nice black velvet border to "edge" the image, this itself will enhance your viewing pleasure.

a screen designed to work in ambient lit conditions will give much better results

Allan @ Ideal AV
  5. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +975
    Using THXs recommendation of 0.84x of the screen diagonal for an immersive experience the screen diagonal should be 150" - 200". The problem you will have is the light output from the projector, as most consumer products are not really designed to go that bright, especially in less than ideal circumstances.

THe best way to see what image size you could live with, is to fire up the projector and shoot the image onto a wall. Find an image size that looks suitable and then look for a screen that size:smashin: