1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matching System with Speakers - Advice Req'd

Discussion in 'Hi Fi Systems & Separates' started by *Matt*, Jan 27, 2006.

1. *Matt*

*Matt* Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable members can comment on the following System/Speaker match-up (I'm on a very tight budget!!!)

System: Yamaha CRX-M170

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/digitalradio/0,39030008,39194805-1,00.htm

Speakers: Mission m73

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_print.asp?ID=1198

I have already purchased the m73's from another member on this board and due to a tight budget and lack of space I would like to add the Yamaha to them.

Should I be concerned that the Yamaha has a 50w amp and the speakers are 100w? Will the sound quality be ok?

Last question would be to ask for recommendations for decent/budget speaker wire.

Thanks
    Matt
  2. tinoest

tinoest Member

Ratings:
    +17
    What is your budget?

The different outputs should't matter that much I would't think

edit: have you thought about the teac or denon in that price range or even going second hand?
  3. *Matt*

*Matt* Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Spent a bundle furnishing my new flat so probably can't go more than £200 for the micro-system.

Choose the Yamaha as it will fit in the available space is £40/60 cheaper than the equivalent Denon and has good reviews.
  4. jon_mendel

jon_mendel Member

Ratings:
    +10
    the missions aren't too hard to drive iirc - unless you like v high volumes, the yamaha should be fine (at least in terms of volume/power - haven't heard it so don't know what the quality's like).

If you don't need DAB/CD (perhaps you could use your DVD as a source, and a freeview box for digital radio?) you could v likely get a better amp than the yamaha if you were just buying an amp...but you may want the convenience of a mini-system :)

Jon
  5. *Matt*

*Matt* Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the info. I would prefer all seperates but at this time the mini-system is going to be more convenient.

Anyone care to recommend speaker cable ( 2 x 1.5m required)?
  6. jon_mendel

jon_mendel Member

Ratings:
    +10
    esp if you're on a budget, I'd suggest you just get a decent thickness, well-insulated copper speaker cable - shouldn't be much more than £1/m. I use gale 189 from richer sounds (I did try more expensive cable, but couldn't hear any change so sold it :D ) but Maplin and most similar stores will do something along these lines...

Jon