Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR-7008

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by DodgeTheViper, Jun 11, 2013.

1. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,138
    The new SR-7008 from Marantz appears to be a very enticing model.

It has true 9.2 channels, allowing the addition of front height & wide speakers.
    Multi EQ XT32.
    Sub EQ HT, allowing individual correction of 2 subs.
    Audyssey LFC, a correction that minimises the low frequencies that are responsible for escaping through walls. Apparantly this is achieved by not adding a filter ;)
    Expandable to 11.2.

http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/Product...Products&SubCatId=AVReceiver&ProductId=SR7008

On paper it looks very interesting indeed :D
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  2. Mafste

Mafste Member

Ratings:
    +7
    It sits between the Denon X4000 and the Denon 4520.
    Seems like a nice lineup for D&M this year.
    Picked the X4000 myself as I don't need 11.2 and it's already available.
    Unsure if I'd pick the 7008 over the 4520 though, but still a good 500 bucks between them.
    You can get a X4000 for 1000~ euro, 4520 for 1850~ euro, the SR-7008 should sit around 1300~ euro.
    SR-7008 should be available around September (in NL that is).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. dazm41

dazm41 Member

Ratings:
    +61
    the SR7008 is not bringing much more to the table than the SR7007 had, MultEQ XT32 (PRO) is a late welcome decision it's got 60w more power if you need it,i think gapless play back with flac and wav is new might be wrong on that im still happy with my SR7007 at £800 bargain in my book.:)
  4. dante01

dante01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,557
    The Marantz SR7008 is the same receiver as the Denon AVRX4000 and has the exact same spec.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  5. quantumAV

quantumAV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +452
    You can't keep making these general comments just because the parent company is the same. Whilst they undoubtedly share some components due to combined purchasing power they are different receivers.

On what basis are you stating they are the same receiver?
  6. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576
    The Marantz has 9 amps vs 7 in the Denon.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,557
    My apologies, I missed that one. Makes more sense than last years SR7007 that only differed to the AVR3313 by way of including multichannel analogue inputs absent on the Denon. The addition of the two channels of amplification does indeed place this somewhere between the AVRX4000 and the AVR4520 ;)
  8. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,557
    Sorry if you don't like it, but Denon and Marantz (D&M Holdings) make the same products and use the exact same components. They are even built on the same production line. This arrangement goes back nearly 5 years now and both Marantz and Denon are less and less inclined to actually try to conceal the fact. Ask them, you deal with them so it should be easy enough for you to do ;)

I'm not wanting to debate whether they are tuned differently, but they definitely use the same components laid out in the exact same way and built by the same people. Take the covers of them and you cannot tell the difference. Look at them from the back and you cannot tell the difference. Do a blind test and I doubt you'd hear a difference, but that would be and is the only debatable aspect of the differences between Marantz and Denon branded products.

To put this into context, I was talking with Denon customer services a few week ago about a Denon AV receiver and received a reply back from Marantz!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. quantumAV

Ratings:
    +452
    I'm asking you to stop making general assumptions which are purely based on the fact they are owned by the same holding company. The SR7008 and Denon X4000 are different and that is a fact. No amount of you saying any different will change that.

So what if the customer service side is the same - that would be normal. The sales desk that we place orders on is the same but I don't receive a Denon when I order a Marantz. It makes sense for companies like this to share resources.

Mission and Wharfedale are owned by the same parent company - does that make them the same speakers? I bet they source the materials for the speakers from the same place!:laugh:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,138
    The number of amps is not the only difference between the Marantz SR7008 and Denon X4000.
  11. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,557
    and they are?

What Makes a Marantz Different Than a Denon?

Maybe if you stop skipping along behind everyone looking to in some way antagonise me then you'd post the answer with your reply, but no so can only assume you've not got such an answer at your disposal???

Anyway, I'll be generous and provide the answer for you:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/marantz-sr5008-sr6008-sr7008

Okay, yes there are differences, but they are still not as extensive as some would have you believe.

The main differences are as follows:

▪ Current feedback preamp topology – Allows for higher slew rate and lower distortion at all volume levels (particularly at low levels) than comparable voltage feedback designs

▪ Decoupled capacitors - To reduce residual noise and interference

▪ Luxury power capacitors – Custom capacitors, larger values for Marantz SR7008 compared to the Denon AVR-X4000

▪ Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Modules (HDAM's) – A discrete preamplifier circuit module proprietary to Marantz that goes between the volume control and power amplifier section to further improve performance

and as a reply to Quantum, you forgot to mention Onkyo and Integra or Sony and Ricoh. As far as holdings companies go then what about Armour Group plc?
  12. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,138
    For your information, I don't 'skip along' behind anyone. And i dont need you to provide anything, certainly not for me. Your copy and paste posts work for some I guess.

And don't 'assume' that I can instantly respond to a reply on a thread.

Furthermore, you are the one doing the 'antagonising' as is evident with your aggressive posting.

I will also add that yet again you want to embellish your assumptions of Marantz and Denon being the same products.

They are not the same products.

Rather than continually rubbish other threads with your assumptions, I suggest you start your own thread to discuss both Marantz and Denon. No doubt it will have a few assumptions in it.

Please do not post any further in this thread as you do not have anything positive to contribute, only negative assumptions.

I will leave the matter there without asking another Moderator to look into your previous comment.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  13. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,557
    I'm on topic with my reply and posted facts, facts that actually support the stance that the Marantz products do indeed differ to the Denon products. Are you still insisting that I'm being antagonistic?

These threads are here to discuss matters. Anyone as far as I'm aware is allowed to participate regardless of their point of view or opinion. It is up to those with a difference of opinion to put their point across. I do not demand others not have their say or their opinion so why do they assume they've the right to deny my say?

Anyway, stop making this thread out to be about me and maybe discuss the topic at hand?

Thank you.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,242
    Can you please just grow up, and stop posting like an argumentative child.
    There is no point, nor is it warranted to create posts that are likely to **** off another member.....this isn't the first time..!!:lesson:

If you have a bee in your bonnet, or something grinds your gears and you feel you must vent/retort, simply walk away from the keyboard please!
  15. wayden

wayden Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I am sorry Dante, but you keep bringing it up over and over again.
    You did it in my thread for the SR7007 and now for the SR7008.
    It really takes away some life from thread. If it is so important to you then just start a new thread and not beat down marantz everytime a new thread is created.
    This is our hobby and come on this forum to get information and share our experiences with different equipment we buy.
    Dont spoil it for others we just want to have some fun.

And now, back to the SR7008. Why must they release a new receiver every year. In the last 15 months, I have changed my AV receiver twice ( Denon-3808A -> Yamaha RX-V3067 -> Marantz SR7007. I promised the wife a nice vacation this year, now what :).
    Really need to see some reviews. Must admit though that i am very very happy with my SR7007. It has been a rock solid performer - no glitches, no bugs -- IT JUST WORKS. It seems the SR7008 is building upon this base. I dont need 9 channels since I donot have a dedicated home theater room but he upgrade of Audyssey looks interesting.
    I am looking forward to this one.

Cheers,
    Wayden
  16. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,138
    Unfortunately it always happens Wayden. We don't seem to have the latest kit for long, then a newer model is not far behind it.

Blummin upgrades :D
  17. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576
    It should be a welcome upgrade for anyone with an interest in Marantz AVR's. They've been a little behind the competition the past couple of years, but this year is looking very good. I'd certainly pay the extra for the SR7008 over the Denon X4000. Also, at £100 less, the SR7008 could prove to be more desirable/popular than the Onkyo TX-NR929 - especially if Onkyo don't plan to enable the use of the Pro Kit.
  18. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,138
    I'm contemplating my move from Onkyo, and that could well be towards Marantz.
  19. wayden

wayden Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Move from Onkyo??? What ?? Again?

How often do you change your kit?;)

Serously though, I thought you were happy with your separates. Would you really move back to an AV Receiver ?
    How has your kit been, what aren't you happy with?

Wayden
  20. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,138
    I'm still using an AV Receiver ;)

I havn't come across a suitable power amp yet. My previous move, amp wise, was from Onkyo to Onkyo :D
    My move speaker wise, was from KEF to MK. The speaker move wasn't necessarily better, but different.

I'm not particularly displeased, just looking to possibly improve :smashin:
  21. wayden

wayden Member

Ratings:
    +14
    That is the thing with this hobby. No matter how good your kit is, you always think it can be better. Therefore the never ending cycle of upgrades. In the last 6 months, I have now bought the Sr7007, the Marantz UD7007 and the Samsung 46ES8000 tv. I am not allowed by Upper Management (the Wife) to buy anything else this year.
    Too bad though, the SR7008 looks interesting.

Wayden
  22. quantumAV

Ratings:
    +452
    It's likely the SR7008 will be an improvement over the nr818 you have.
  23. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,138
    I'm sorely tempted one way or the other, processor and power amp or AVR.

Quite fancy trying Marantz though.
  24. quantumAV

Ratings:
    +452
    Big cost difference between the two options though
  25. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,138
    Yes indeed, which is why I'm always leaning toward the AVR. Afterall, my room isn't big.

But . . . . . . . . What if . . :D
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  26. quantumAV

Ratings:
    +452
    For some reason I always thought you had a power amp already!

The Marantz AV8801 is the next big thing but as I said before it is a big jump up.
  27. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,138
    I did have a power amp yes, but recently sold it.
  28. Alfaman

Alfaman Member

Ratings:
    +28
    I'm contemplating getting this, especially that now it's half price, is it still recommendable compared to others at the same price?
  29. quantumAV

Ratings:
    +452
    Yes and at its current price it is a bargain
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Alfaman

Alfaman Member

Ratings:
    +28
    had a look at your website from Amazon, will most definitely order one within the next few weeks