Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz NR1602 AV Receiver Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by avlogger, Aug 6, 2011.

1. avlogger

avlogger Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have just got my new Marantz NR1602 AV Receiver installed. :smashin:

I couldn't find an owners thread and so thought I would start one :)

I am running it in 5.1 mode with the following speakers: 2 x B&W DM 603 S3 (main), 1 x B&W LCR600 S3 (centre), 2 x B&W M-1 (Surround) and a Rel Q150E (Subwoofer).

I am mainly pleased with it so far but am having problems updating the firmware on it. The internet connection works fine e.g. I can get various internet radio stations OK. It recognises that there is a firmware update available but when I start the update process it puts up a message saying 'authenticating' which stays for a few minutes before displaying the message 'Connection Lost'.

Has anyone else managed to update the firmware OK or maybe offer some suggestions of things to try?
  2. Digger

Digger Active Member

Ratings:
    +216
    Not an owner yet but very tempted. I noticed there is an update which reactivates Rhapsody accounts? Thats a US widget right? Maybe your UK box doesn't finish the update as it is not compatible? Just a thought.

How do you find the SQ? What were you using before? How does the 1602 compare?
  3. CHFels

CHFels Member

Ratings:
    +46
    I also would like to hear your impressions as to sound quality - particularly if you have tried music in a 2.0 or 2.1 configuration, using the Marantz's onboard DAC and with/without Audyssey.
    cheers,
    CHFels
  4. ibanezx

ibanezx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I own the NR 1602 and cannot update the firmware wither. The display states that it is 'Authenticating' whereafter I get an error message (E01). The Airplay and internet radio works just fine so its not my network or internet connection as such thats the problem.

Hope someone is able to help in this regard.
  5. avlogger

avlogger Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Regarding the sound quality - I think it is pretty good (clear, well separated) but that is very subjective. Obviously it depends on the signal source and the speakers you are playing it through. I serve my music (FLAC files ripped from CD and verified using AccurateRip) via a squeezebox receiver using the optical input on the amp. I have tried the direct (pure) setting and again it sounds good but I suspect it would need younger ears than mine to tell the difference ;)

I haven't yet succeeded in getting the firmware to update - I think I will have to contact Marantz on this but who/where to contact is the question :confused:
  6. avlogger

avlogger Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Some additional feedback - to make this thread more useful :)

I have tested airplay from my iphone, ipod touch and iPad - All works well (even for Apps that aren't natively airplay enabled).

I haven't been able to connect to my network folders on my QNAP NAS as there doesn't seem to be anyway to specify a userid/password to access the folders - I guess it might work if not password protected? This isn't really a problem (at the moment) as I use the Squeezebox receiver and iPeng App on the iPhone/iPad to control the music playing.

I have now bi-amped my main speakers as I am only running 5.1 - so I am using all the amp's speaker outputs.

Sometimes the TV screen is blank when it should be displaying something - I think this can depend on what sequence devices are switched on - I always turn everything off at night and don't use standby. I am still trying to workout the exact sequence to power everything on for best results.
  7. MrTurtle

MrTurtle Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Mine arrived this afternoon. Basic setup was very straight forward. Having trouble with the digital audio inputs though. Can't get optical in to work.

I especially like the ipod airplay feature. So cool to have music playing on the ipad and then hit the airplay icon and have the reciever play the tune.

Network streaming works from my NAS through Twonky but I have the same issue as avlogger; cannot view folders due to no option to enter account details for the NAS. I will email Marantz and see what they say. The NAS is a QNAP which has its own app so at least I have a second option.

Connected to the internet without any problems, told me I had the latest firmware so no upgrade required. The net radio worked without problem. Registered some favourite stations on the vTuner website and they appeared straight away.

The sound quality for music is a lttle too clinical/sharp for my tastes. I haven't played with the settings yet but my old reciever has a much warmer, fuller sound which I prefer. Dub does not sound right at all.

Cannot get the analog CD input to work. If anybody can help I would appreciate it. Do I need to enable it in any way?

First impressions are good but could do with more analog inputs. I have a few older devices and it looks like I will need to buy a switch (or upgrade to HDMI devices).
  8. Digger

Digger Active Member

Ratings:
    +216
    Thanks Mr T. I have a QNAP 219. Try setting folder permissions to full access? What speakers are you using and what were you using before the 1602?
  9. MrTurtle

MrTurtle Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I also have a 219, the basic version. I have just sent Marantz an email about the user accounts, don't expect a reply until next week though. For now Twonky will do but would really like folder access. All my music is organized by folders and I have a lot of ripped vinyl that does not have tags.

I have Dantax Utopia 5 speakers on the front and Dali Concept 2s at the back. Setup for 5.1. However, after the initial setup I switched the output to stereo only. We mostly listen to music and will use the receiver in stereo most of the time.

The old receiver is a Nakamichi AV10 which as I mentioned before has a wonderful rich sound and I am now thinking of keeping it wired up. I also have a QED A240 stereo amplifier which gets used very rarely and only to rip vinyl. Music through the AV10 suited me fine.

I have little experience with the so many digital options and I am having to learn a lot to get things setup/working.
    The older equipment was purchased well over 10 years ago and the only upgrades since have been a couple of new TV's and a media player (TVIX 6500). Getting the TVIX to work properly is proving frustrating. It works perfectly when connected directly to a TV (through HDMI) but becomes erratic when connected through the NR1602.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. MrTurtle

MrTurtle Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Minor update.

Had to set the TVIX6500 to 720p, anything else causes problems. Don't know if this is an issue with the TVIX or the NR1602. Is the receiver processing the input signal or is it passing it through untouched to the TV. If it is processing the signal can I turn this off? Ideally just for the TVIX.

Generally music sounds good. However, still feel the bass needs to be fuller; dub, reaggae and big beat is flat. This is definately a problem with the receiver as I have tried different sources and they are all the same; MP3's, flacs, WAVS, CDs (from a NAD) and my old receiver had no problems in this area.

Not been allowed to keep the old receiver, my wife politely asked why I bought a new one if I still want to use the old one. Don't really have the space for it either.

Wish the manual was a bit more noob freindly and I now realize I need more analog inputs.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  11. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,286
    You will need to setup your music share with Guest Read access, that way the amp will not need a username or password to play the files.

I am pretty sure you will also need to enable the Twonky DNLA server for the NR1602 to be able to browse your music library, as I don't believe it will be able to browse the network shares on its own without a separate DNLA server to index them all.
  12. symbian

symbian Member

Ratings:
    +4
    How loud do you normally watch a movie?I mean as loud as you want to go. I'm just curious. I used to have Marantz SR4400 and watch around -20
  13. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Personally I'd be using the sub (assuming a good one) and EQ when listening to music the benefits are greater than the negatives, I'd even be tempted with analogue sources. Though make sure Dynamic EQ and Dynamic volume are off (it's on by default). They are only good for late night listening at very low volumes or to make dialogue or effects clearer in films/games.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  14. RobG123

RobG123 Member

Ratings:
    +106
    Pretty sure i'm going to get this - what's the best price going at the moment?

Thanks!
  15. Digger

Digger Active Member

Ratings:
    +216
    Frank Harvey (Hifix) at £500 inclusive of delivery. Best I have seen, but I am beginning to think I'd get better value buying a full size receiver?!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Likely. The main selling point of the 1602 is that it's very well featured but much smaller than most AVR's. Of course out right power is less and some of the EQ bells and whistles are missing for example it does not have Multi EQ XT, let alone Multi EQ XT32.
  17. MrTurtle

MrTurtle Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Now using the sub woofer for music and also spent time tweaking the sound. Much happier now.

The sound quality is much better than my old receiver, vocals are much clearer and crisper and I can hear a lot more in the mid range. Just wasn't happy with the lack of bass. All is well now though.

I find sound through the analog inputs, USB and net to be the same. The same CD, from CD or from flac, sounds the same to me.

Should add. Not using Audyssey at the moment. I have reset the receiver a couple of times and didn't perform the auto setup.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  18. MrTurtle

MrTurtle Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I am still having some quirks:

Keep loosing HDMI video out after I have turned the receiver off. Works when there is a source (eg DVD), but does not show for NET/USB. Component video works but does not show OSD. After perform a reset everything works again but then I loose all my settings.

When using internet radio, after about 20 minutes or so the remote control and front panel controls gets locked out. Need to turn off/on to reset.

Is there any way to show what firmware is used?
  19. ibanezx

ibanezx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Are you aware of any good High def (>160 kbit/s) jazz and Indie internet radio stations
  20. ibanezx

ibanezx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also,
    Do any of you guys know how to fade to the left (or right) speaker. I sit relatively closer to my right speaker wherefore I would like to fade to the right speaker a bit. Can't figure out how that is done in the NR 1602 menu.
  21. prosserg

prosserg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - does anyone know if there's a wireless adapter for the NR1602? I have no possibility of running an ethernet cable to where my amp sits, and wouldn't like to miss out on the airplay functionality... Did anyone look at the slim Pioneers as a option to the Marantz?
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  22. MrTurtle

MrTurtle Member

Ratings:
    +2
    It's under Channel Level. See the manual page 64 & page 89
  23. MrTurtle

MrTurtle Member

Ratings:
    +2
    It seems a wifi dongle is not available and the usb port is not full usb so a third party adaptor will not work.

I received the below from Marantz:
    “Is there a wifi adapter available for the NR102 or are there any 3rd party adapters that work via the usb connector?”

The USB connector is linked directly to the DAC of the unit, for digital transmission of Audio signals only.It does not feature standard USB capability
  24. prosserg

prosserg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got this from Marantz:

"Specifically, we have not included wireless on these units dues to the performance deficiencies that wireless inherently carries.
    However there are a large variety of “Ethernet over mains” or “power line mains” adaptors available on the market which can eliminate the requirement for a full length cat 5 cable – but without suffering the disadvantages of wireless.

We suggest that you contact a networking manufacturer for an adaptation of Ethernet"
  25. MrTurtle

MrTurtle Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm still having problems with video out over HDMI for the NET/USB channel.

Display out for the NET/USB channel does not work over HDMI, it works for composite though. On HDMI the TV screen flickers but does not show any content. I have reset the receiver again but this time the problem persists.
  26. jakobh

jakobh Member

Ratings:
    +1
    For the network adapter, use a normal access point and set it up in Client Mode, easiest solution I think.

I have a NR1602 myself, now I'm looking for an upgrade to my speakers. My center is a Monitor Audio Vector 20, the rest is old stuff(no subwoofer).

Very happy with the sound and airplay, my only issue is that my TV input changes sometimes(all programmed onto a Harmony)
  27. prosserg

prosserg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    was thinking about one of these to connect to my linksys e4200: XAVB5501

thoughts?

i'm not very savvy on the current av receivers (have a CA 540R) - do you connect sky hd/ps3/dvd player into the NR1602, then 1 hdmi cable to the tv that handles sound and picture?

I have Anthony Gallo Micros - highly recommended if you're looking at smaller speakers, also running the MPS150 sub...
  28. MrTurtle

MrTurtle Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I am still having a problem with the menu locking up when listening to internet radio.
    After about 20 minutes or so the remote control and front panel controls gets locked out. Need to turn off/on to reset.

Anybody else have this problem?
  29. nalooti

nalooti Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I plan to buy the NR 1602 and I'd like to know if any owner has already setup a zone 2 stereo ?
    I wonder if this is possible to have a 5.1 configuration in one room and a stereo (2.0) in another room (zone 2).

The manual says how to setup zone 2 with two channels (stereo) but don't say if the zone 1 (main room) will work in 5.1 mode or just in stereo.

thanks
    nalooti
  30. cebs_uk

cebs_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +250
    Just read the review in this months HCC and it looks like a nice bit of kit but a bit scaled down power wise and connections, is there any sign of a big brother for this.

It seems to read every format flac etc but only 4 hdmi inputs, no multi channel put me off a bit but maybe paired with the UD7006 /05 it would be fine but i've never had a bluray cost more than my amp before seems the wrong way round.