Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz NA-7004 Streamer/DAB/FM Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by amcluesent, Nov 21, 2010.

1. jdp1962

jdp1962 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Resetting the microprocessor made no difference - other than wiping out all my DAB pre-sets, heheheh!

I think the problem is at the pc end rather than the player. I think it's something to do with the sharing permissions. I will continue to tinker, meanwhile I can still stream uing Airplay.
  2. jdp1962

jdp1962 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    After some fuirther research, I bought and downloaded Twonky onto my pc. After a certain amount of fumbling and setting up (I really am not very good at this stuff), all is now as it should be.
  3. ErikE

ErikE Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi *
    Loosing connection anyone ???
    I'm also using NA-7004 mostly used for streaming FLAC and playing DAB.
    I wonder if anyone else have had problems with it loosing connections to wiered ethernet ?
    Setup and start was going fine. But I have experinced intermittent loss of connection to network. It can play for hours, getting FLACs from a nas disk. Suddenly it looses conection. It can also have problems sometimes when i power it on. When trying to reconnect ( Menu : Connection - Connection ) it either finishes quick or hangs for long. I recover it by maybe swithing DHCP off, try to save, then set it on again, and connect.
    I have upgraded to latest FirmWare, replaced cables, switch ports etc. No other equipment on my network has similar problems.

Anyone else experienced something like it ?

Br
    Erik
  4. mythos122

mythos122 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Certainly am, i have my player for nearly a year and had no problems at all with connection, but over the last month or so it has been a pain in the ass sometimes to get it to see Twonky on the network....not sure what is going on ? i have tried all sorts, and as of yet not got to the bottom of it.

Not sure if this issuse started after the last Firmware update a month or 2 ago ??
  5. Tonyr58

Tonyr58 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm very disconcerting. I'm was looking to upgrade from my Denon N7 to a PM8004 & NA-7004. One of my frustrations is the exact same issue you both are experiencing. Looks like I would be buying the same problem.
    I have recently updated the firmware, but not sure yet if the issue has been resolved.
  6. Riff

Riff Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yesterday's update enables gapless playback. Atleast with FLAC, so I imagine it'd work with other formats too :thumbsup:
  7. Cebolla

Cebolla Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Is that fully gapless, including pushing tracks from a DLNA controller, with the NA-7004 as a renderer? Or is it just with the streamer in playback mode, ie, pulling tracks with control from the box itself?
  8. Riff

Riff Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Both, I believe. I'll try again with a DLNA controller this evening.
  9. Riff

Riff Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Using my smartphone as a media controller, the Marantz still doesn't do gapless it seems... Checked it last night.
  10. Cebolla

Cebolla Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Disappointing, but not surprising as it joins the list of supposed gapless support fixes following a firmware update, which includes Cambridge Audio's NP30 & Stream Magic 6 and Pioneer's N-30 & N-50. The clue is actually in the fix's description, 'gapless playback support', ie, to be taken literally to mean gapless support is only achievable when the device is in playback mode (and NOT in renderer mode). These devices still don't support the DLNA SetNextAVTransportURI transport action functionality, required for gapless support when the tracks to be played are pushed to them via a DLNA controller.

The only <£700 network audio player that seems to have FULL gapless support is the latest Denon mini system streamer, the DNP-F109 :
    Finally: one affordable device that does gapless over UPnP
  11. jdp1962

jdp1962 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    TeamRock Radio has just launched on DAB and internet. I've searched the vTuner database on my pc, and it's there, in the Hard Rock category. But if I try to search for it on my Marantz NA7004 network player, it's not there.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might go about updating the vTuner database on the NA7004, so that I can stream TeamRock in stereo rather than listen in mono on DAB?
  12. jdp1962

jdp1962 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I've cracked the case. I accessed vTuner via radiomarantz.com, and registered my player ID. I then manually added the url for Team Rock to my saved stations in vTuner. Back to the player, I entered the radiomarantz.com menu option on the intenet radio function, selected Team Rock to play, and finally saved it to my Favouriters list. That was the first time I'd used radiomarantz.com. I'm still discovering new things that this player can do, a full 18 months after I bought it.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  13. Bartok55

Bartok55 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all!
    I just received a NA7004 and connected it up in my system. So far I've been impressed with the build and sound quality and simplicity of operation. Considering the price these are being sold for in the US, they might be one of the best bargains in hifi.

I replaced an aging Logitech Squeezebox feeding a Musical Fidelity xDac V3, and my network dropouts have been cured.

I've been fighting a problem for well over a year with serious network instability that has made the Squuezebox unusable. I can't run RJ45 to the living without significant effort so I've been trying to improve my wireless network. I eventually installed a wireless extender and plugged the Squeezebox directly into it, but even then I couldn't play flac over the Squeezbox without it dropping the signal every 20 seconds.

I finally gave up on streaming music until I saw the price drop on the NA7004, then decided to give it one more try. I have the NA7004 connected to the network extender which is connected wirelessly to my home network and my music server downstairs. It has suffered no drop outs and has been playing flac files, internet radio, and Pandora without any problems.

Needless to say I am a very happy customer! Oh, did I mention its playing gapless flac using Windows Media Player as the DLNA server?
  14. Don Dadda

Don Dadda Active Member

Ratings:
    +486
    Glad you are happy with your new toy and continue to be for years to come but did think about homeplugs as an alternative to wireless?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Bartok55

Bartok55 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the suggestion Don, it prompted me to experiment a little with my Squeezebox. I tried directly connecting it via RJ45 to the same switch my music server is running on, updated the server to the latest version of Logitech server software, and updated the firmware. It still had the same problem of playing a song for ~20 seconds and then skipping on to the next song. So wired vs. wireless connection makes no difference.

I'm glad I picked up the NA7004 as it continues to perform without any problems, including wirelessly streaming FLAC files via a wireless extender.
  16. Amsterdammer

Amsterdammer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My NA7004 sounds great.

However, it is very slow and unresponsive. If I use the remote to navigate folders, it will often take 20 seconds to respond to each press of the buttons.

There is maybe 140 gig of music on my server, so maybe it is the sheer size of the collection that it struggles with? They are connected together through a gigabit switch, so I don't think there are any network issues.

Anyone have any ideas how to speed it up? It's so unresponsive now that it's unbearable to use. :rolleyes:
  17. Cebolla

Cebolla Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Mmm, not too happy with the control firmware of any of these manufacturers' streamers at the best of times, but a problem due to it not being able to cope with the amount of music files it needs to access is certainly a bit shocking!

Hopefully, your problem is just due to some other more subtle oversight by their software designers, eg memory leaks, etc, so it'll be hopefully solved by resetting the NA7004. Unfortunately this will clear all your settings, too, I'm afraid.
  18. bparkes

bparkes Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't post much / at all, but mine is working great, I have the music on my pc for the time being while I decide what to do about a proper NAS. Using Twonky, having edited how it does the library so it's by folder and in the right order it is happy to navigate through 300+ Gb of flac files.

This is over a gigabit ethernet with a decent pc running twonky though, so you may want to look at what is proving the music to the NA7004 if it's seriously struggling.

They managed to break the last.fm connection with a firmware update a while ago but I think it was fixed within a week.

The only gripe I have about the NA7004 is the lack of a good control app (that actually works without bugs) for my android phone. Don't suppose anyone has any recommendations that just work?
  19. Cebolla

Cebolla Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Best UPnP/DLNA control point app for Android by far is BubbleUPnP.

Are you sure it's not Twonky that's giving you your problems? For example if certain navigation functions, like pause, aren't working its down to BOTH the server & the controller to be working properly. You could do a few trial & error tests with other UPnP/DLNA servers on your pc such as the decent free MinimServer, Serviio & Logitech Media Server with the UPnP/DLNA plugin. You can run several media servers on the same machine at the same time, even when linked to the same files, so no need to keep installing/unistalling, until you've finished testing.
  20. Amsterdammer

Amsterdammer Member

Ratings:
    +0

I use Skifta from my android phone, which is pretty good.

I've found the best way to work the Marantz is from my smart TV.

My music server is a dedicated HP microserver, all it's running is Windows Home Server 2011 as a media server. There's no other software on it. I tried running Plex and Serviio on it, but it didn't make any difference. I can access the server fine from other devices, it's just the Marantz that's awfully slow. It's a shame because I can't fault the sound.
  21. bparkes

bparkes Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your suggestions, Skifta is great! That's the music playback side sorted.

Bubble UPnP is also good, but the easy of use of Skifta makes it look, well crap from a UI point of view.

I just wish Marantz would also release a decent control app combined with the way Skifta works for the music server part.

Just out of interest how are you controlling the NA7004 from your smart TV? I have a Samsung UE46D7000 but never really bothered with anything other than the youtube app (which works great with my Samsung S3 phone).
  22. Amsterdammer

Amsterdammer Member

Ratings:
    +0

A control app for Windows would make me very happy.

I have a Philips smart TV, and from the main menu I have a "my network" option. From there I can see my server, and navigate through the folders with the TV remote. I connected the TV to the Marantz with an SPDIF cable, and I have the Marantz input set to optical. It's the best way I've found. There is just one drawback, which is that the TV has a really lame image on the screen while the music is playing, and there doesn't seem to be any way to change it.
  23. bparkes

bparkes Member

Ratings:
    +1
    A right, so you're using your TV rather than the NA7004 to actually play the music, if my TV support flac i'd probably never have bought the NA7004.
  24. Amsterdammer

Amsterdammer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same here, really, If I'd known the NA7004 was such a dog to use, I'd have bought a DAC instead. It doesn't really bring anything to the party that I don't already have.
  25. Cebolla

Cebolla Member

Ratings:
    +90
    That's because you are using the NA7004 as a DAC, presumably because you've still got that unresponsiveness when using it as a player. This isn't normal and only seems to be happening to your particular device. Have you tried resetting it yet? If that doesn't clear it then get in touch with Marantz support.
  26. Cebolla

Cebolla Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Try the free Foobar2000 playback application with the foo_UPnP plugin. As well as providing a UPnP/DLNA server for the music files stored on the computer (and any other file it can see on network shared folders), it comes with a control point allowing you build playlists from any UPnP/DLNA server on you network and push the music files to your NA7004 for playback.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  27. Amsterdammer

Amsterdammer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I did try Marantz support but they were unhelpful, I got the impression that they couldn't care less.

I also tried Foobar but I couldn't get it to do what you describe. I asked Marantz support if there is any Windows software that works as a control point, and they said something like "we don't test software". Maybe I'll try again with Foobar... I couldn't figure it out last time, but maybe I missed something obvious.