1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz NA-7004 Streamer/DAB/FM Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by amcluesent, Nov 21, 2010.

1. HeadBanger

HeadBanger Member

Ratings:
    +146
    LMS running on my NAS works with my SR7005. With iPeng it effectively turns your AirPlay device into a Squeezebox without having to run iTunes anywhere.

There are limitations using LMS and AirPlay however. You can only stream the Apple accepted formats natively otherwise LMS needs to transcode to WAV and MP3. You are also limited by Apple's bit and sample rate of 16/48. No big deal for most but having to transcode lossless FLAC to WAV for example is going to increase the file size being streamed over your network by around 40%.

Using LMS/AirPlay is a much nicer experience than using iTunes/AirPlay.
  2. mikedelvaux

mikedelvaux Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi can any one tell me if ipeng works on the na 7004, I've tried Kinsky but it doesn't work properly, I've installed ipeng but it won't find the server.
    Help pleeease

Mike.
  3. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +816
    Short answer, no.

Long answer, the posters above appear to be using Logitech Media Server with the UPnP plug-in. Ipeng only works with LMS, not native UPnP servers like Twonky or AssetUPNP.

If you tell us which UPnP server you have, peeps might be able to suggest an iOS app to control it
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  4. mikedelvaux

mikedelvaux Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, we are using Twonky,
    I managed to get the iphone version of ipeng working on my wifes ipad, but boy is it slow, was wondering if it was worth paying the £6.00 odd to get her the ipad version as it appears much slicker and quicker, not if it isn't going to work though.
    Tried the marantz app and just can't seem to get that to work at all.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mike.
  5. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +816
    How about Songbook Lite or Plugplayer?
  6. mikedelvaux

mikedelvaux Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Just put plugplayer on to the ipad 2, all loads up ok gets photos and music up straight away, go in to music select files or folders then it turns
    its self off, any ideas. (looks really good though)

Mike.
  7. mikedelvaux

mikedelvaux Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks amcluesent, I got it working apart from the pause really good app, and sets its self up very quickly, very easy to use. It must be very easy to use if I can use it straight away believe me.
    Tried lots of apps and this is the first one to work well. Thanks again.

Mike. :):):smashin::smashin:
  8. australiana

australiana New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How do you setup the NA7004 so that it only accesses certain folders in the NAS? The manual doesn't seem to supply any assistance.
  9. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +816
    The choice of folders will be set in the UPnP server running on the NAS. The NA7004 will only 'see' the files the UPnP server has indexed.

Same principle applies if using Airpay with iTunes.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  10. australiana

australiana New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response. Actually, I think I did not understand my problem correctly before. I tidied up my music files, deleting many and renaming others. None of these changes appear when I open Music Server on my NA7004 and so there are many artists and albums that appear but without an actual music file to apply.

There is probably an easy way to fix this but it is eluding me.
  11. HeadBanger

HeadBanger Member

Ratings:
    +146
    You simply need to instruct what ever server software is 'serving' your NA7004 to rescan and re-index your files.
  12. jdp1962

jdp1962 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I've been using my NA7004 to stream music from my main pc using iTunes, via a BT homehub and Netgear wireless extender, controlling it with the Remote app on my iPad. It has worked perfectly for months, but a few days ago, when I wentto connect, an error message flashed up on the iPad saying something about "this device is already being used by another user". I got the same message when I tried sending the music from iTunes at the pc end.

Meanwhile, if i try accessing the music via the network server function of the NA7004, it just comes up "empty".

Has anyone experienced something similar, and can they offer some trouble shooting tips on how to fix this?
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  13. larkone

larkone Active Member

Ratings:
    +361
    Have you tried turning off everything (inc. router and wireless extender) and rebooting?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. jdp1962

jdp1962 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I hadn't before now, but other events have forced me to do so today anyway. I'm having new windows installed today, and have had to disconnect everything to give the fitters access. I'm sat in the garden right now, using the personal hotspot function on my phone as a router. So it may be that when I hook everything back up, all will be well.
  15. larkone

larkone Active Member

Ratings:
    +361
    Fixes 99% of networking problems where it used to function perfectly and now doesn't. In IT terms it is called the Big Red Switch Fix.
  16. jdp1962

jdp1962 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Hahaaaah! I'll have to remember that one. it'll make me sound so much more authoritative in meetings at work.:laugh:
  17. jdp1962

jdp1962 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    You were 100% right. All is now as it should be. :thumbsup:
  18. EN

EN Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    I have questions about NA7004:
    1. How can I connect NA7004 to the wi-fi - usb stick wi-fi, adapter?
    2. Can I connect to the USB a 2,5 inch HDD with no power supply?
    3. Is there an app for Android to control NA7004?
    Thank you
  19. larkone

larkone Active Member

Ratings:
    +361
    1. How can I connect NA7004 to the wi-fi - usb stick wi-fi, adapter?
    You would need to use an ethernet to wifi bridge to connect using wifi

2. Can I connect to the USB a 2,5 inch HDD with no power supply?
    No - has to be:
    • Only USB memory devices conforming to mass storage class and
    MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) standards can be played on this
    unit.
    • This unit is compatible with USB memory devices in “FAT16” or
    “FAT32” format.

3. Is there an app for Android to control NA7004? Not yet
  20. EN

EN Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, Larkone
  21. Riff

Riff Member

Ratings:
    +1
    What software are you guys using on your computers/laptops to manage files and playlists and to serve flac-files to the NA7004? I'll be using it until I get a NAS.
  22. Crocodile

Crocodile Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,428
    How long before you buy a NAS? DBPoweramp's Asset has a 30 day trial & would be what I'd be trying first for an audio only server.
  23. Riff

Riff Member

Ratings:
    +1
    No more than a month, so this could be very helpful :thumbsup: Any ideas for free software after the trial just to manage playlists and metadata? WMP can't manage flac, unfortunately.
  24. Crocodile

Crocodile Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,428
    MP3Tag is an excellent tool for metadata & worthy of a contribution to the author. Can't help with playlists.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. Riff

Riff Member

Ratings:
    +1
    So after a couple of weeks with the NA7004 I can say I'm really pleased with it. Apart from a few (inobtrusive) bugs, the unit works really well. I've just invested in a QNAP NAS with Twonky installed. Couldn't be happier. Converting al my cd's is still a lot of work, but I'll get there. I just hate the fact that some albums are more difficult to rip than it is to download them illegally...
  26. SmokeyWeasel

SmokeyWeasel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just picked up the NA7004, but am struggling to connect to either internet radio or my music server (WD 1TB MyBook)..

Everytime I select either of the above, in runs through the 4 connection cycles (1 - Initializing, 2 - connecting, 3 - checking info, 4 - awaiting reply) - and loops round, never connecting in the end...

Anyone have any ideas?

Its connected via ethernet cable, to a virgin media superhub - and neither nas drive or internet radio are working.
    In network options, have DCHP (on) - (tried without with no sucess, but unsure what is the best option here)
    Unsure whether Im connected via a proxy server or not...

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
  27. SmokeyWeasel

SmokeyWeasel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :) fixed my issue - needed to reset the microprocessor - as was an ex-demo model...

connects to both internet radio and nas drive :D
  28. jdp1962

jdp1962 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I have a new problem. Earlier this week, my internet connection was changed from BT Total Broadband with Home Hub 2 to BT Infinity with Home Hub 3. To get the best from it, I decided to ditch the wireless connections and go for a fully wired setup using homeplugs. I did that today, and all the connections succeeeded. However, for reasons I cannot fathom, when I select "Music Server" on the NA7004, it will not see the music on my pc. I can stream from the pc using Itunes and Airplay, which means the pc and NA7004 are talking to each other but the Music Server mode steadfastly refuses to offer up the pc as an option to select. It only offers me the laptop music drive, but that's all but empty.

I've tried rebooting everything, I've checked all the access permissions, and nothing seems to work.

Help!
  29. SmokeyWeasel

SmokeyWeasel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi jdp,

Have you tried resetting the microprocessor?

Switch device on, pull out power cable from back of the unit, hold down both the "display" and "m-dax" button (front of unit), whilst holding - re-insert power cable to the unit. If successful, "Initiated" will appear on the display (may have to hold buttons down for a few seconds after plugging in power cable)...

The above is covered in the manual, and took me a few attempts to get the "initiated" to display...

I had similar issues (above), and my device (ex-display) was previously connected to the shop's network...

hope this helps...?
  30. jdp1962

jdp1962 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks, I'll try that.